2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Ford finally destroyed the Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Bryanox
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the fact that the explorer went the way of the CUV. This leaves room for bringing the Bronco back.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
nruggiero
Junior User
They didn't even bother to have an Eddie Bauer and XLT Sport version.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Who is Ford's largest competitor for truck and SUV's? GM of course.

Ford has posted the 2011 Explorer on it's website and I think the new one is going to be a commanding family vehicle far surpassing the Chevy Traverse and all the junk that GM peddles.

Yes, it lost it's heavier duty frame and truck like attributes but it's gaining a very intuitive terrain management system, far better MPG's and a better overall ride. And it's base price is $1000.00 less than last years model.

I can't think of anything that an Explorer can do that an Expedition can't do. They were similarly priced, got similar MPG's yet the Expedition is far more capable.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
1) They used to sell about 500,000...
How does that prove Ford is not making profit on the Explorer?

2) It'a listed in the official release.
Got a link. I see no towing mpg estimates, just a bunch of worthless percentage estimates.

Truth is, your average buyer don't give a crap about articulation of full lockers.
I agree with you there, most consumers are sheep and will buy whatever looks pretty that they know nothing about.
Sure, Toyota still builds the 4Runner. But sales went from a peak of almost 120,000 to just 19,000 last year.
Comparing last years sales to the peak sales of any vehicle is a poor argument IMO. Last time I checked we are in one of the worst recessions since the GD. Numbers will be well off peak.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
How does that prove Ford is not making profit on the Explorer?
It doesn't, and I doubt Ford is making absolutely zero, but it does prove that Ford is making MUCH less profit than before, given similar development costs.

Originally Posted by dkf
Got a link. I see no towing mpg estimates, just a bunch of worthless percentage estimates.
2011 Ford Explorer puts four-cylinder EcoBoost engine above V6 in pecking order — Autoblog

"The 2011 Explorer with its base V6 now has only a 5,000-pound towing capacity, beating the Flex by 500 pounds but falling short of the Chevrolet Traverse by 200 pounds."

Originally Posted by dkf
I agree with you there, most consumers are sheep and will buy whatever looks pretty that they know nothing about.
I know, it's a sad truth manufacturers have to deal with. Trust me, as an engineer (who've worked for Ford, indirectly, in the past), I'd love to design something that's functional and purposeful, but Marketing and Legal department have veto rights over engineering, always.

Originally Posted by dkf
Comparing last years sales to the peak sales of any vehicle is a poor argument IMO. Last time I checked we are in one of the worst recessions since the GD. Numbers will be well off peak.
I agree to a certain extent. But we have to admit that out of all vehicles, SUVs have taken the hardest hit. Cars, especially midsize and smaller, have typically grown in sales, along with CUVs of course.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by tcesni
I can't imagine anyone will really miss the 4.0 from the Explorer.
I can. The oil companies

Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think the new one is going to be a commanding family vehicle far surpassing the Chevy Traverse and all the junk that GM peddles.
Not exactly a high standard to beat, right?

very intuitive terrain management system
WTH does that mean? All-terrain tires?

And it's base price is $1000.00 less than last years model.
Wow, less vehicle for less money. What a concept!

Are you by chance a Ford salesman?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Not exactly a high standard to beat, right?

WTH does that mean? All-terrain tires?

Go on Ford.com and read about it. It's there, I promise.

Wow, less vehicle for less money. What a concept!

Are you by chance a Ford salesman?
Less vehicle, really? Actually, I sold new and used Fords for about 8 months when i was between my Naval and Coast Guard careers. The single most enjoyable job I've ever had but the money is too sporadic.

There are many things that Ford has come out with that I'm real fond of but I think the new Explorer is a step in the right direction.

I got my issue of truck trend today and there is a suggestion that unibody trucks could be looming over the horizon. Massive changes will come eventually and they will be driven by MPG's and overall comfort.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
I got my issue of truck trend today and there is a suggestion that unibody trucks could be looming over the horizon. Massive changes will come eventually and they will be driven by MPG's and overall comfort.
You know, outside of commercial trucking, where loads are huge and custom fitting requirements highly vary, there's no real benefit of a body on frame setup.

We all think a frame is tougher, but if a unibody/uniframe can have the exact same rigidity as a frame, with better safety to boot, what's there to loose? Motorcoachs can gross at 54,000 lbs, and guess what? They're unibody / monocoque.

Remember the day when cars started to go unibody, I'm sure rednecks at the time ran around screaming "you can pry my frame away from my cold hands", yada yada. And look at where we're now. In a head-on crash between a 2010 Taurus and 1962 Galaxie, which one do you want to be in?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM
nruggiero
Junior User
I don't know. The new Explorer is kind of growing on me. It takes a while to get used to it. They might add on the two-tone paint again soon.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
will you still be able to get a lincon navigator or aviator?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyJ
You know, outside of commercial trucking, where loads are huge and custom fitting requirements highly vary, there's no real benefit of a body on frame setup.

We all think a frame is tougher, but if a unibody/uniframe can have the exact same rigidity as a frame, with better safety to boot, what's there to loose? Motorcoachs can gross at 54,000 lbs, and guess what? They're unibody / monocoque.

Remember the day when cars started to go unibody, I'm sure rednecks at the time ran around screaming "you can pry my frame away from my cold hands", yada yada. And look at where we're now. In a head-on crash between a 2010 Taurus and 1962 Galaxie, which one do you want to be in?

the 1962 Galaxie! at least i would die in style if i did.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyJ
2011 Ford Explorer puts four-cylinder EcoBoost engine above V6 in pecking order — Autoblog

"The 2011 Explorer with its base V6 now has only a 5,000-pound towing capacity, beating the Flex by 500 pounds but falling short of the Chevrolet Traverse by 200 pounds."
This is the statement I was questioning.
The new one will pull 5000 lbs with far better fuel economy.
I am aware of the fact that the new 2011 is rated to tow 5k lbs.

I want to see the mpg numbers to of the 2011 Explorer with 5k lbs in tow. I doubt the towing fuel economy will be much different (if at all) to previous generation explorers.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
tcesni
Elder User
Towing 5000 lbs will give you sucky mileage in any situation.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by b-uno
the 1962 Galaxie! at least i would die in style if i did.
You will definitely die in the Galaxy. In the Taurus, you'll most likely survive and be forever grateful that you did.

Quick Reply: Ford finally destroyed the Explorer