2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
'Bama150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experience with Synthetic oil

Have any of you used any of the Amsoil products, ie. their Synthetic Motor oils. I've used thier filters with good results in the past, but not made the leap to their motor oils.

Most of the time in sythetics it seems you hear more on Mobile1, or Royal Purple and some of the more advertized brands. Just wanting some other views.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM
CameronA710
Junior User
amsoil is a "smaller" company, but their stuff seems to be top notch. My dad knows an amsoil rep or something like that and he uses their oil and filters in his motorcycle and in his zero turn Gravely lawn mower. I've also talked to several people who are high on amsoil. I don't personally use amsoil in my truck, but use castrol syntec and believe I get a bit better mileage and power from using synthetic. Although it could be a placebo effect ? Some people swear by synthetic and some say no difference.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM
'Bama150
New User
Re:Experience with Synthetic oil

I don't know about the placebo effect. There are gains to be had in synthetics. A lot of your fleet and trucking firms have gone to it because of its properties to resist heat, and actually give better milage. But I have read that you see the most bennefit when you use synthetics in your trans and axels as well as the engine. I am thinking of trying the Amsoil product when I change the oil in my F150 when I get back home.

I appreciate your response, and as always.....take care.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Amsoil and Mobil 1 are probably the best synthetics in the market from what I have read but, I have been using Amsoil for years and use it in everything I have that has a motor and it has performed great for me.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once broken in, I've been using nothing but synthetics in my vehicles for the past 13-14 years. The last one was an Isuzu Rodeo 4 cyl that had 113000 + on the clock when I traded it for my screw. The last year I had it I didn't do any oil changes because I expected to trade it at any time and didn't want to put anymore money into it. The oil still still looked clean as a whistle when I traded her.

When I switched from the dino oil the dealer used in my present screw to synthetic (Mobile 1), I picked up roughly 1 mpg in gas mileage, which would probably be just enough to cover the added cost of the synthetic, so the real gains will be increased oil temperature tolerance and reduced engine wear. I won't beable to gain anything from increased oil change intervals since I have to follow Ford's intervals to avoid voiding my warranty.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
magnet1
Senior User
I use nothing but Amsoil in everything I own now. I had bought an '97 F-250 with 150,000 miles on it and ran it over 200,000. The original owner had used Amsoil from new, And being scared to mix oils; I spent the bucks and continued to use it. The oil pan rusted out, So I had a shop jack the motor and put a new one on. The shop owner actually called me at home to find out what kind of oil I was running because he had never seen anything like it before. He said it was spotless with no sludge or residue whatsoever, And if he wouldn't have known better; He said it looked like it came out of a three year old truck. From that day forward I run it in everything from trucks, to boats, 2 stroke engines, As well as my wifes Volvo. Once you get by the 25,000 mile oil change in your head, You'll be pleased.
Also, Even though Mobil 1 is a full synthetic it still has a parafin base to their oil that will eventually cause build up. No one else can do once a year oil changes and run as clean as Amsoil, and they have been around since the 70's. It costs a little bit more, But when you add up oil changes at every 3,000 , Your saving money. Just go online and request a free packet of info., And check them out. I am not a salesman or a dealer, Just a satisfied customer who has never looked back.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Let me just start out by saying that I'm not knocking PAO synthetics or any synthetic. I use syn in my rig as well, however just for the fact that it has a better tolerance to heat (doesn't break down as soon as conventional oil).

But...using Royal Purple or Amsoil, etc. is analogous to using a jack-hammer to crack open a walnut. One again, these folks make a fine product, most of them were originally designed for extreme environments...like a jet engine at 50,000ft and -100F. The oil just out performs most terrestrial applications. But to each their own. If you can dig deep I say more power to you.

However, keep in mind, these ultra performing oils are only as good as the CLOSED systems they are run in. And it's not like our air filters filter out contaminates down to the micron. Also, gas gets dirty once it gets into the Chevron, Texaco, BP, what have you, holding tanks at the corner station, and, once again, our $4 gas filters aren't designed to filter down to a micron. So, that gas will contaminate your oil because of piston ring blow-by. There's always a little bit in both directions. Therefore, I'd never leave oil in my rig for more than 8000K miles or six months, no matter what kind it is because I know these trucks don't run tight enough to fully control everything going through the intake or the injectors.

Cheers, Bridge.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bridge
Let me just start out by saying that I'm not knocking PAO synthetics or any synthetic. I use syn in my rig as well, however just for the fact that it has a better tolerance to heat (doesn't break down as soon as conventional oil).

But...using Royal Purple or Amsoil, etc. is analogous to using a jack-hammer to crack open a walnut. One again, these folks make a fine product, most of them were originally designed for extreme environments...like a jet engine at 50,000ft and -100F. The oil just out performs most terrestrial applications. But to each their own. If you can dig deep I say more power to you.

However, keep in mind, these ultra performing oils are only as good as the CLOSED systems they are run in. And it's not like our air filters filter out contaminates down to the micron. Also, gas gets dirty once it gets into the Chevron, Texaco, BP, what have you, holding tanks at the corner station, and, once again, our $4 gas filters aren't designed to filter down to a micron. So, that gas will contaminate your oil because of piston ring blow-by. There's always a little bit in both directions. Therefore, I'd never leave oil in my rig for more than 8000K miles or six months, no matter what kind it is because I know these trucks don't run tight enough to fully control everything going through the intake or the injectors.

Cheers, Bridge.
Even though I use MC blend and change every 5-6K, that's great advice (and well written to boot!).

Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
'Bama150
New User
re: experience with synthetic oils

Thanks for the imput guys. I really appreciate all the viewpoints.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:13 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
My neighbor has a F150, and swears he gained 2mpg when he switched to Royal Purple. I run any syn thats on sale, mostly because I think there is less friction and its a better product than dino oil. I have changed oils every 3000m for 40+ yrs, and have never taken a valve cover or oil pan off that had any crud in it. When I rebuilt my old '72 390, the pan under the int man had about a 1" thick layer of crap stuck to it. the truck had 132,000 on it when I got it, but I'll bet its clean under there now 8 yrs later.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran synthetic in my 05 for a while....gained about .1 mpg .......but it wasn't enough to offset the cost difference........AND...it used a bit of oil on syn.....about 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles.........switched back to dino and stopped using oil completely......

That said.....I used it in my bikes.....and i'd probably use it in anything high performance...

Old 07-31-2010, 05:45 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Fluids and filters, always lively topics.

I, on the other hand, used nothing but Walmart cheap dino oil and Fram filters on my two previous vehicles. '92 F-150 had over 150,000 miles when it was wrecked by a cell phone driver. '96 Explorer 5.0 with over 214,000 miles, sold to a local mechanic who appreciated my detailed maintenance records. Both ran great.

I have switched to the Ford oil filter for my newer '06 F-150 after looking through a "cut away" comparison of many filters.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
I know it may sound crazy but i would have no problem trusting the wal mart super tech oil. They have spent no money on advertisement so they can sell it cheap. I have no idea who makes it for them but no company in the world has more to lose by being sued than wal mart. I agree on the filters for the same reason cut open a fram and there is a little three fingered plastic piece that holds down on the filter element. Where mc, wix or delco have a metal spring.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb_13
I have no idea who makes it for them but no company in the world has more to lose by being sued than wal mart.
Shell does, or at least did a couple of years ago. Call the number on the back of the bottle; if they still put it on the label.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Brack1
Junior User
Ok, call me paranoid, but I just bought an 05 Screw with 127k miles and after a bunch of research I'm super scared to deviate at all from recommended oil because I test drove 5 trucks before I found one that didn't have messed up cam phasers. Now that I've found one with good phasers, I don't want to mess these ones up and I've heard that oil causes the issue most of the time. So my question is, will running synthetic oil cause issues? What about additives? Should I stay with 5w20 no matter what?

Quick Reply: Experience with Synthetic oil