Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 ford eldurado motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 AM
joerope
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morn. I have a ford motorhome wit a 7.5l 460 eng/ and am suddenly have problems altho the motorhome sits for most of the year, when i am ready to use it it generaly stars and runs.... last year after i arrived at the area the engine failed to start i assumed it was plugs and cap(rotor also) replaced NO Joy! pull back out plugs and #1pl dry
#2 wet
#3 wet
#4 wet

#5 Dry
#6 wet
#7 dry
#8 wet
\
now i know that if I don,t know where Iam going, eny direction i take will get me there, But! I need direction, can enyone suggest a start?
(if i dry the plugs the engine will start and only run if I keep the gas pedal down, and smokes and catalytic get hot)

Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Is this a Fuel Injected engine or do you have a Carb on it?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
joerope
Freshman User
EFI !fuel injected

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
My guess would be a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).
To check it pull the vacuum hose off the nipple on top of it and turn the key on & off three times with a cold engine. Do not try to start the engine, if fuel comes out of the nipple on the FPR it is bad and needs to be changed out.
When you get done if it is the FPR change the oil as it could have fuel in it.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
joerope
Freshman User
thank you ! I am going to try the test proceedure this morning, as I already have a new regulator...I just did not want to use it unless i was sure(did,t know how to test it)
again thank you...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
joerope
Freshman User
and with the attempt to remove the old FPR I have spent the better part of sunday trying to remove it.I am wondering should I have attempted to remove the injecter fuel rail? the screws holding the FPR are allen I tried + _ stars and so on the!re under the FPR
like suford said the item oozed fuel out when i turned the key...is there a diagram i can access so i can see just wgat to remove? eny help appreciated

Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
joerope
Freshman User

and with the attempt to remove the old FPR I have spent the better part of sunday trying to remove it.I am wondering should I have attempted to remove the injecter fuel rail? the screws holding the FPR are allen I tried + _ stars and so on the!re under the FPR
like suford said the item oozed fuel out when i turned the key...is there a diagram i can access so i can see just wgat to remove? eny help appreciated
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
About the best I can do:

/

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
joerope
Freshman User
arghhhh,this replacement of ther FPR is a B@#$%h! can someone advise me as how to get to the third screw(behine the FPR) I wanted to take a loose the fuel rail, but! the screws are kinda rusty and I am afraid I,ll break them off.(the heat pipe on the throttle body) is it possible to get the
fuel rail up without takeing up the t-body? would someone have a diagram of the removal ?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM
joerope
Freshman User

I have changed out the Fuel pressure regulator,and the same plugs are getting wet! it will start when I first start it but after it dies no start unless i dry out plugs... now I cannot imagine Five injectors going bad at once is there something thats common to the injectors? a plug or sensor or ? Help!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
The next step would be to see if you have any hard codes or any codes in CM of the computer.

If you do not know how to read them got to this link:
Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test

Note:
Your self-test plug will be behind the battery by the fender.

The self-test plug is called the Data Link Connector in the photo below:

/

Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
joerope
Freshman User

Bill! I was reading the thread with Laerrylass and yourself, altho not similar close. about the high pressure fuel pump..... I took out the EEC I was going to replace it when someone suggested that before I do, rent some Noid lights and check the injectors. I replaced the EEC and Now the relay clicks But No fuel pump whine I am wondering did my removing the EEC did that ruin the pressure Pump? I reinstalled the computor to make sure I didn,t installe it wrong an still no go, now i can,t check the injectors nor eny thing else (no fuel pressure won,t run) will attempt to start but no run..could you extend your hand again please?(where is that pump located ?I see a pumpthat the fuel rail is connected to and what looks like a filter...

Old 08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
joerope,

Yes that is the high pressure fuel pump by the filter.
You might want to check to see if the EEC power relay is closing when you turn on the key, it should make a clicking sound.
If that is happening check the fuel pump relay and see if it is also closing when the key is just turned on and opens one second later.
Removing the EEC Computer can not ruin a fuel pump.

Your fuel system if you have two fuel tanks:

You fuel wiring:

Your fuel pump relay (green) & EEC Power relay (brown) (they both snap in under that cover):

/

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
joerope
Freshman User

Ah yes! I see the fuel pump relay...it is not in /under the box you have highlighted.. it is all by it ,s self! I am wondering if by my removing the computor connection did i knock the relay out of the socket????????because there,s only the bottom socket (green) left I don,t see a relay (per se) and if I try to push it up into the cover there,s nothing there Hmmmm ....

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The fuel pump relay should look like this:

/

Quick Reply: 1989 ford eldurado motorhome