Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air Compressor Options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
MadogLlewellyn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Compressor Options?

I'm looking at installing a Air Compressor on my truck that I can use to pump up my tires and use to provide compressed air for some tools? Main reason for this is so I can inflat my tires to towing levels without having to go home or stop at a tire shop.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what model and type to buy for a 2000 F250 7.3L / crew cab /short bed.

Regards, Madog

Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Are you deflating your tires when not towing?

You're gonna have to find a pretty good sized air compressor to keep up with air tools. I tried using a 1/2" impact off the air supply on my semi truck, wasn't enough juice to turn the bolt I was tightening. Had to drive it home, shop compressor had no problem with it.

I'm doing a similar thing though. I'm putting a small air compressor (came with Firestone air bags) on my truck now, going to plumb in a coupler so I can use it to air up my tires or for other needs.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
MadogLlewellyn
Freshman User
Well my primary use will be for airing up tires for towing.... I keep them under there max preassure if I'm not towing..... plus I just think it would be more handy to have a built in air compressor... and I haven't ruled out installing a air lift kit for the back axle.....

My Dad just got a 1992 Case 980K backhoe and I have yet to tow it behind my truck... it's gross weight is just under 14k.... I'm wondering if the extra leaf springs and timberline kit will be enough for the back suppenssion to keep the truck somewhat level when this thing is loaded on the gooseneck?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look at train horns they have a compressor and tank that can handle that...little slow but it does work....you will also have a very loud set of horns.... shoot Big stroker in that link a PM..he is running a group buy right now... or he may even hook you up with out the horns..
DOT Rated 5 Gallon Air Tank
Viair 400C Compressor
Viair 110/150 <ACRONYM title="lbs per sq inch">PSI</ACRONYM> Pressure Switch
Remote Mountable Intake Filter
Air Filter Cartridges
15 ft of 5/16 in D.O.T. Approved Airline
10 ft of 1/2 in D.O.T. Approved Airline
6 ft of 3/8 in Airline (For Intake)
20 ft of 10 Gauge Power Wire
20 ft of 18 Gauge Power Wire
Conductor's Special Model 540 Train Horn Kit

HornBlasters Group Buy - Powerstroke Nation

Old 07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Clay at RiffRaff has the bomb when it comes to onboard air. I had air on my truck one with a large Viair compressor. JUNK! Those compressors should be left to the ricers and low riders! Just my opinion. It may do better with several compressors on the same tank.

Contact Clay and see what he has. They even offer one that is belt driven.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
Clay at RiffRaff has the bomb when it comes to onboard air. I had air on my truck one with a large Viair compressor. JUNK! Those compressors should be left to the ricers and low riders! Just my opinion. It may do better with several compressors on the same tank.

Contact Clay and see what he has. They even offer one that is belt driven.
Interesting idea. A belt driven compressor that fits in the secondary alternator position? How cool would that be?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

You had problems with a Viair compressor?? From what I've seen, they are the best around. What was wrong with your compressor?

Working at an equipment manufacturer (KINZE Mfg.) we were putting air bags on row units for down pressure. Started with an air compressor from a Firestone airbag kit. Found out the Viair is by far a better compressor. Pretty near 100% cycle. Able to withstand being in constant dust, given it's driven around in a field all day.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
A/C pump...we made them all the time on the farm..work pretty good...i didnt know Clay had them....but for the price id go with big stroke..like said by farm boy Viair is top notch and is much faster...will do good for what your looking to do with it... big stroke also stands behind his kits and wouldnt sell junck....and thats not a put down to what Clay has..just figure of speach...

Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM
koabob
Freshman User
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
coming from the mini truck world ill throw in my two cents

affordable electric air compressors the Air Zenith is your best bet:

AIR-ZENITH 200PSI 2+2 Super Kit | suicidedoors.com

reasonable belt driven but would need brackets and filter:
Riffraff Diesel: ExtremeFlow Belt Drive Compressor

you can also make some older a/c pumps into onboard air which is what ill be doing

or the most legit Oasis products:
XD4000 Continuous-Duty Air Compressors on Oasis Manufacturing

these are basically winch motor driven compressors its what the off road guys use when going the 12v option

Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
MadogLlewellyn
Freshman User
WOW.... come off a night of work and I've got a lot of helpful hints and ideas.... I'll try to check out the options posted and please keep them coming!

One thing I found about these trucks.... nothing is cheap and a lot of times you get what you pay for But now and then you can get a good deal for a good price.

Belt driven sounds cool but I'm wondering how much fabrication I need to do.... or is there kits pre made for such options.... ?

Thank You for the help btw.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Duzitall
Senior User
Originally Posted by MadogLlewellyn
Belt driven sounds cool but I'm wondering how much fabrication I need to do.... or is there kits pre made for such options.... ?

Thank You for the help btw.
x2. I always wanted to do a belt drive but the investment in time and money could add up quickly. Pump, bracket, tank, pressure switch, belt, etc.

Clay, you gotz a packaged up bolt on unit using that Outback pump for us?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM
officer131
Posting Guru
Its on the wish list for now. I would have to buy a kit all together instead of piece by piece. More helpful to me.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
VRC9170
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have often wondered if a 1750 watt inverter and a good 120 volt air compressor mounted on the frame would work ok. I realize the batteries would probably not last long if the engine is not running.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
VRC9170
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since last post I found out how impractical an inverter/110 volt air compressor combination is. Is there any link on here to tapping in to the AC compressor?
Bob

Quick Reply: Air Compressor Options?