Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What a crappy way to start the day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a crappy way to start the day!

When you blow a tranny cooler line a C6 will pump itself dry in very short order! What gets me is it was brand new hose, brand new lines and I went all out and got the good fuel injection line clamps. Plenty of hose on the tube too and the clamp was still tight. Argh!!

So I'm driving to work and the line blows open. I pull over, shut it off (thankfully didn't blow the trans!) and start walking the 2 miles home in the rain. Luckily a local landscaper with a nice Ford F550 turbo diesel stopped to give me a ride home. Grab the tools I'd need, a funnel and tranny fluid and put it in the car and drive out. Threw down some old cardboard on the wet road to crawl around on (in good clothes because I was headed to work (IT Dept)). 5 min later I've got the line together and oil in and we're back in business....

But now I have 2 cars and 1 me.

Drive my car home and pull out my bike I had when I was like 5 years old - I'm talking 12" or 14" wheels and hasn't been rode in like 25 years. Air up the tires and start peddling my butt back to the truck. Stuck in 3rd gear, bike is waaaay too small for me, no rear brakes and both wheels bent and wobbly. Plastic seat hurt my ***, knees hitting the handlebars (also bent) and the darn dog following me the whole way and won't go back home.

Finally get to the truck, throw the bike on the back and try to get the dog in the truck - but he wants none of that. So I pick up the wet dog and set him inside. He goes nutso in the cab. I hop in trying to keep him from jumping out and I end up driving home with wet dog ***** on my CB mic, wet dog paws on my lap and dog panting on me dripping slobber on my crotch. Get home, let the dog out, throw the bike back in the shed, change clothes and go head out to work for the 2nd time...

What a day so far!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Sucks indeed, but that's how life goes... Where did your cooler line blew, and do you have any ideas as to what caused it to let go? It's a fairly low pressure in there... Oh, on a second read, it sounds like the hose slipped off the steel line? Do you have any flares at the end of the steel lines? Always always make flares, never rely on the friction between the rubber and the steel alone to hold the connection - it don't have to be a 45* double-flare either like you do if there was a flare fitting going on there, just widening the end of the line some is enough, when the clamp can't physically go past the flare things tend to stay put - sure you may get a drip eventually as the rubber ages, but the hose still won't fly off.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
yeah I never trust straight line either and they're all flared! That's what's leaving me going "WTF?!" I always push at least an inch of hose over the line and then clamp it just before the flare. First time I've ever had one let loose on me!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:01 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Indeed a "WTF?" happening then... How tight was the clamp? Was the end of the hose past it spread out a little like a funnel cause of the pressure the clamp put on the rubber next to it? That's what I consider an indicator the clamp really is tight, never failed me yet...

Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Tight just to the point where the ears on the clamp start to bend a bit together.

Thinking back we had some good storms and there were a bunch of branches on the road that I drove over.. I bet one of them buggers kicked up and yanked it! That's about my luck! - and the only thing that can explain how the heck it came off!

Better a cooler line than the new radiator though!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least you got to ride in a 550 !!!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Yeah... It could have been......a chevy or a dodge!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Depending on the size of the clamp you can sometimes tighten them to the point where the two ears actually touch tight against each other. But I could see road debris causing you trouble, that's why bumper sits so low and there are a few skid rails under from it to the engine crossmember, but against branches I don't think even those would help me, they are more against deed and people and such... And yah, better cooling lines than radiator, them things are expensive!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
hahaha oh man what a day.no fun,but at least you can laugh about that one latter.
yeah,id say it was just a fluke thing,the branches must have pulled it out.
lots of trans fluid,but at least you got her shut down so you didn't blow the trans.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you had a zf5 that never would have happened lol.... ya, that sounds like a crappy morning bud. sorry to hear it. atleast it was something you could quickly fix and not something you had to have hauled home and worked on another day

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
lots of trans fluid,but at least you got her shut down so you didn't blow the trans.
Actually shouldn't be as bad as one may think, as there's only a few quarts in the pan, and once the pan goes dry the pump moves no fluid and whatever is contained in the TC and the VB for the most part remains there and don't spill out.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Man that bites! My luck it would have trashed the tranny.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Not with a C6, with an E4OD tho the outcome could have been quite different.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
Not with a C6, with an E4OD tho the outcome could have been quite different.

I had one of the lines to the cooler blow on my E4OD equipped truck. Luckily got it shut down quick enough and didnt kill the tranny.