Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

Fall Event or GTG anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fall Event or GTG anyone?

Hey guys and gals! I was thinking we should try to Get ToGether or have an even this fall, preferrably before any upcoming marriages taking place in the 2nd week of October.
I know my fiance plans on going to Chicago for a weekend. That could be a good weekend? Not sure about Rich's fiance?
As far as a GTG goes, I will have a TON of things to do. Pat volunteered William's garage!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
LOL. I'm in on a GTG.

I was gonna call you this week Torr, bunch of family coming over on the 7th of August if you and your GF are around feel free to stop over and have a couple beers or what ever.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Sounds good Rich. I will talk with her as she is the planner. Do you think your family would help at the GTG? LOL. Just kidding. Do you have a garage that isn't full of stuff? We could probably use my dad's garage in Mesick, but he really doesn't have anything more than regular hand tools and a small compressor.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
My garage is pretty full and I haven't hooked up the compressor yet. I'd like to get that done before I do a motor swap on my jeep LOL.

You know how it is, work 6 days a week.......I need to clean up around the beach too, lots of small trees need to dissapear before the family comes up on the 7th. good thing is the fire pit down there, we can just burn it right away.

What are you wanting to do for the GTG?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Toyman
My garage is pretty full and I haven't hooked up the compressor yet. I'd like to get that done before I do a motor swap on my jeep LOL.

You know how it is, work 6 days a week.......I need to clean up around the beach too, lots of small trees need to dissapear before the family comes up on the 7th. good thing is the fire pit down there, we can just burn it right away.

What are you wanting to do for the GTG?
I can help you with your beach area. Sounds like fun believe it or not.
I have a ton of things I need to do, it just depends on how soon we do it. (Need to save money up for everything.)
I am going to rebuild this van turbo I have. Since I'm in there, I might as well do up pipes and a complete boot kit and 6637 and CCV. I will have a tuner and guages to install too. If we do this GTG later, I will probably have exhaust and FRX and HPX to do too. I already have a set of bucket seats to put in, but I want to do some sound deadening at the same time, maybe a new rubber floor too. So as you can see, I have a few days worth of work, unless there was a few of us drinking and eating!
I don't have a problem providing food and beverages for everyone, even you lushes.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Wow. With a bunch of us working. a new turbo and all that is almost a 2 day job.

Gotta drop the trans, and busting the bolts loose for the up pipes is such a hastle.

I'm glad clay got you taken care of for the 6637 parts.

No use for a turbo that big though unless you got some sticks to push em. Have you done injectors yet?

If you guys dont want to get to crazy, your welcoem to come here and do it.
I don't have a parts washer or anything fancy like that. Just music and an air compressor. haha.
I do have a few grilles and a huge fire pit.
If I had a pontoon, we might really be in trouble. Cause we'd all be drunk out on the lake. I'd haev to convince the neighbor to do that for us. hah
Oh wait, thats today. Home brew beers and a few guys on the pontoon.
This is going to be rough.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Yeah, that is what I was thinking William. Two days with a bunch of help. As far as the turbo goes, I posted on the diesel section and everyone seemed to think it would work with tunes for now. I figured we would just cut the old up pipes out unless someone else would have a need for them. No one mentioned dropping the tranny for anything? I figured it would be better to have the GTG here locally if it might take a little longer. I could start tearing things down a day or two before the GTG.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
You can do up pipes with the trans in, but it is WAY easier with the trans out getting to the back of the turbo.

As well, using stock sticks and upgrading a turbo. You'll not be able to spool the turbo, no matter what your tunes are. Your injection events will be to small fuel wise to get anything rolling.
It would be like putting huge tires on a low HP truck.
You can roll, but not very fast.

At 334k miles as well. Your due for some sticks. Jim can hook you up with a set we can just slap right into the truck, then you can send him your cores back.

www.diy-injectors.com

You can tell him I sent you over there. =)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Talyn
You can do up pipes with the trans in, but it is WAY easier with the trans out getting to the back of the turbo.

As well, using stock sticks and upgrading a turbo. You'll not be able to spool the turbo, no matter what your tunes are. Your injection events will be to small fuel wise to get anything rolling.
It would be like putting huge tires on a low HP truck.
You can roll, but not very fast.

At 334k miles as well. Your due for some sticks. Jim can hook you up with a set we can just slap right into the truck, then you can send him your cores back.

www.diy-injectors.com

You can tell him I sent you over there. =)
I see what you are saying about the up pipes. I would love to put new sticks in too, but that would be another $1500 at least, don't you think? There are at least 2 guys running a van turbo with stock sticks, but maybe they have done other things too? The real reason I want the van turbo now is because my stock turbo needs a rebuild and so does the van turbo. Maybe I'm lazy, but I was figuring it was better to just get in there once.
I'm not overly concerned about making these mods and still having a slow truck. I can wait a few more months to put sticks in and be much faster. I'm looking to be more reliable vehicle wise and efficient in using GTG help. If you told me what to do, I would struggle massively. If you show me and I watch and help, I could do it again.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
A few guys have tried the van turbo thing. With the Sd turbo, you already have a 1.0 AR housing I believe, you don't need the van turbo for spool times.

Just get ahold of rons turbo and have him send you a new one.
Rebuilt Turbochargers| Turbocharger Kits| Turbochargers| Salt Lake City, Utah

=)

Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
A few guys have tried the van turbo thing. With the Sd turbo, you already have a 1.0 AR housing I believe, you don't need the van turbo for spool times.

Just get ahold of rons turbo and have him send you a new one.
Rebuilt Turbochargers| Turbocharger Kits| Turbochargers| Salt Lake City, Utah

=)
Why would I spend money on a new turbo when I have two already? Can I not rebuild them myself? (Guzzle's site). Does he do something special that I cannot? I plan on getting stage 2 sticks in a few months, wouldn't it be foolish to rebuild the stock turbo to only replace it with the van turbo when I do the injectors? Not to mention the labor involved? Maybe I am missing something here? Do I have to take the turbo off to replace the sticks anyways?
Maybe I am sticking the cart before the horse. Maybe I should wait for a GTG after I get sticks and do it all at once?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Stage 2's will destroy a stock turbo. Or a van Turbo.

you can't just log on to guzzles site and buy a few o-rings for your turbo.
If you have damaged parts, they have to be replaced, and you have to know what is considered damaged, which I did not, and I'm going though problems right now. As well as setting seals properly, Apparently you need to fit the exhaust seal. Not 100% sure on that one yet.

Your better off just getting a new turbo replacement and sending in your old turbo's to the guy for core price replacements.

Your 7.3 should have 120-130 CC sticks in them already. My stage 1's are 160's. Stage 1's are about as much as you want behind stock turbo.
You probably have not done a wicked wheel upgrade either? Stock wheel on the super duties sucked. They replaced it with a junky one that has surge issues.

There isn't anything really to special about the van turbo. One guy in the OBS forum has done the swap. You get a different AR, and the super duty is already smaller than the OBS anyways at 1.00 AR, and the OBS is 1.1 AR. Faster spool, less boost, more heat. That van turbo will give you some EGT problems most likely.

Get to crazy on the injectors, and you'll have to start upgrading oil as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Oh. I have over 300 into my turbo rebuild already. Buying parts at prices you cannot get, unless somebody damn near gives them to you.
I did it wrong, and just had to spend another 50 dollars for another part, used.

So, i'm up around 370 dollars for my turbo rebuild.

I could have purchased a turbo for 550 and send my old one in for a 100 dollar return.

I didn't have the money to do that though.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Stage 2's will destroy a stock turbo. Or a van Turbo.

you can't just log on to guzzles site and buy a few o-rings for your turbo.
If you have damaged parts, they have to be replaced, and you have to know what is considered damaged, which I did not, and I'm going though problems right now. As well as setting seals properly, Apparently you need to fit the exhaust seal. Not 100% sure on that one yet.

Your better off just getting a new turbo replacement and sending in your old turbo's to the guy for core price replacements.

Your 7.3 should have 120-130 CC sticks in them already. My stage 1's are 160's. Stage 1's are about as much as you want behind stock turbo.
You probably have not done a wicked wheel upgrade either? Stock wheel on the super duties sucked. They replaced it with a junky one that has surge issues.

There isn't anything really to special about the van turbo. One guy in the OBS forum has done the swap. You get a different AR, and the super duty is already smaller than the OBS anyways at 1.00 AR, and the OBS is 1.1 AR. Faster spool, less boost, more heat. That van turbo will give you some EGT problems most likely.

Get to crazy on the injectors, and you'll have to start upgrading oil as well.
You are correct about stage 2s being too large for a stock turbo and probably the van as well. I should have said stage 1. Difference between stage 1 and 2 is a larger nozzle, both flow 160 cc's. Izzy351 runs stage 2s with a van turbo but admits he is throwing way too much fuel at it. (Also has 450hp/1000tq).
The only reason I mentioned guzzle's site is because of the writeup on a van turbo rebuild with WW. Doesn't look that difficult, but I can understand that if you have been having issues with your rebuild, why you would recommend getting a new one to begin with. I don't necessarily know the history on my van turbo, but it has no play in the shaft, wheel looks worn.
The van turbo has a 1.15 AR exhaust housing. What I have been reading is that it will spool slower, lower EGTS, but offer more potential with injectors and tuning. Kind of like a compromise between stock and a GTP38R. Rebuild kit is $100 plus Wicked wheel at $100. Far less money than a new GPT38R, but more potential than a stock turbo. I have also read the only difference between stock and van is the larger exhaust housing. Internals are the same. Not really sure anymore with all the conflicting info?
So let's back this up a little. IF we have a GTG, I would like to put on a rebuilt turbo/WW(or a new one), bellowed up pipes, DP tuner, guages and 650 dash. I have the 6637 and CCV already.
Please continue bringing the info William, I really appreciate it.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Alright. He went and did homework.

As for the van turbo info. I have no idea. Larger exhaust housing doesn't necessarily mean better. I know you have to have some sorta ratio between intake and exhaust. But even with stage 1's or stage 2's, you'll eventually kill a turbo unless you watch the gauges.

As for rebuild kit, your forgetting your o-rings which are 18 I think as well. RTV Silicone, or a new intake side O-ring which isn't included with a rebuild kit.

I looked on the guzzles site, and they say to just reinstall the exhaust side seal.
I have an OEM rebuild kit, and my seal is to big to work. I'm pretty sure you have to size it.
Another OBS member had a failure like mine after a turbo rebuild as well.
My part should be here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Fall Event or GTG anyone?