General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Facebook: Too Much Information, or just too much drama?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Facebook: Too Much Information, or just too much drama?

Recently, I've been thinking about my FB account and wondering why it is that people feel the need to post every little thing on their account. I have never felt the need to post such tripe as "I'm late for work and can't find my shoes!" or some other equally ridiculous garbage, though some people obviously feel that their friends can help them through the morning rush, via the web. Nevermind the fact that people seem to waste precious seconds posting when they should be working, or trying to get to work, in the example above.

People seem to thrive in the fact that they have hundreds (or thousands) of friends on FB. Not me. I guess I did at first, but then the reality of the whole thing hit me: Am I going to magically re-open the relationship with the person that I haven't seen in over 20 years? No. Is it cool to get in touch with people that I lost contact with? Of course it is. However, and this is the most important thing for me to remember, contact with high school friends does not mean you can go back to your high school days. No matter what, I still live in Virginia and I still have a life here. I won't be hanging out with my buddies, fishing every afternoon like I did as a teenager.

Memories are great, sharing them with the original cast members is fun. But trying to relive your past is an exercise in futility. Then again, there are relationships on FB that you develop with people that you had very brief contact with. In my case, I have a FB friend that was nothing more than a classmate from an online course I took a couple years ago. I am probably going to delete a few friends that I just don't really consider friends- or never did consider as friends. I have a bunch of friends that are really just frineds of my stepson. All of them are kids that I like, and I feel the need to 'mentor' every once ina while, so I keep in touch ewith them.

I found this link dealing with this subject and it got me to thinking about it:
Why Do You Delete Your Facebook Friends?

Too many relationships overwhelm us. The ones we don't communicate with regularly seem to fall by the wayside. FB is a great tool for networking and meeting new people that can help further your career. But those relationships need to be taken to the next level: Email. Cultivate the relationship and use it to your advantage. Somebody you met on the bus between your house and the community college doesn't really need to be a facebook friend, does it? Drama doesn't need to take over our lives on facebook. 'I can't find my car keys?' 'I'm totally wasted, dude!'
Really?

Perhaps the same could be said for FTE? (just sayin')

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Hi Stu
It amazes me that although I havent been on FB for at least 6 mos is all the friendship requests I get via e-mail from peeps I dont even know. Alot has to do with number of friends on your stat page. Big whoop.
FB works for some people but just not for me

Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I started a Facebook account, because I was trying to locate my opthamologist, that had left a practice, and found a reference to her, there.
(Oh! Thanks, Facebook! I re-found the BEST Opthamologist ever born! She's 'easy on these old eyes', too!)

What I find amusing, is that my wife and my kids want to be 'friends' on Facebook!

Why don't they just talk to me instead of posting some 'doo-doo' online????

I don't get it.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an account,just use it mostly to keep in touch with family that doesn't live close,might post a funny quote or thought every now and then,but i am not on their everyday and i never play the silly farmville games and the like.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Sounds kinda like the FTE 'frivolous' or 'OT' threads....

Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cjben
I have an account,just use it mostly to keep in touch with family that doesn't live close,might post a funny quote or thought every now and then,but i am not on their everyday and i never play the silly farmville games and the like.
Ditto on that.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I started mine early last year as I was connecting with class mates. Last year was my 30th year class reunion and I went.

Since then my FB account is rarely used. Being a military retiree and a world traveler, I have nothing in common with those that never left.

I've actually considered disconnecting from FB altogether. I ignore most friendship requests if I don;t know the person and I talk to you all more than I talk to people that I actually know!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
CretePumper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like sand through the hour glass, Facebook has become the new "Days of Our Lives". It's a little sad actually, it's kinda like High school all over again, seems if you don't have 1,000 friends on your contact list you are not a part of the "IN" crowd. What's really sad is the fact that, those with 1,000 friends all over the world that they so willing tell their life story to with minute by minute playback of every single development of their lives barely know their neighbors or anybody in their own community, just another tool to be anti-social ( In real life) IMHO.

I get a lot of friend requests from those I never particular liked or even knew in high school, so why would I put them on my friends list 20 years later, not to mention that some memories are better left alone, that was then, this is now, or the yahoo on the other side of the globe that I've never met or ever will wants to be my buddy because someone on my list added them, so they rummage through the list finding people to help boost their ego's just because they want to be "the popular one". If a million friends on your list makes you feel important so be it, to each their own, what ever blows your hair back !

Although I'm somewhat baffled at what compels one to post every aspect of their life every 15 mins on Facebook, like I really care to hear it, I have more than enough drama in my life. I don't need anymore, I rarely use Facebook, mainly because I just don't have the time or the interest, but I do use it to keep in touch with my fellow US pump operators and to see what laws and regulations are in the US as it gives me a heads up on what will soon becoming to Canada.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Most of what he said. Except I don't have a facebook account at all, and have no intention whatsoever of ever having one.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:54 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Don't have one and have no plans to start now. My wife, however, is on it all of the time. Not only do a lot of people post every insignificant bit of mumbo jumbo in their lives, my wife feels the need to give me the FB monologue everytime she's on there. I could really give a crap less that her friend got a new bikini wax (300+ pounds of nothing that should ever be seen in a bikini) or that one of her friends from high school is raising corn in her outhouse.

Heck, I can't get enough free time to post on here most of the time.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Active user - but if you look at my "friends" you will find most of them posting political stuff - and they are all more or less conservatives - good way to keep up on the obamanations going on. You wont see many comments otherwise unless it's an occasional family comment. Lots of discussion on government, the constitution, & many other similar things. No game playing - none, zip, nada. Don't have time for such foolishness when there's more important things to discuss.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nothing in my life is interesting enough to post as drivel for the rest of the world to read, nor do I care to read others boring details, what a load of self promoting BS.....count me out.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Facebook has it's place I guess. I just don't need my private life and who my friends / family are, to be plastered all over the world. There are lots of idiots in this world just waiting to abuse info like that.
I was able to reconnect with some family members on the other side of the country recently through Facebook. I logged on and created an account just long enough (and with the minimum of information) to contact my cousin who I hadn't heard from in 21 years. I deactivated it soon after. Now we talk once a week on average.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
NotEveryBodyLikesUs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most social networks are gonna have drama of some sort.. i mean, i'm sure this one has at some point has had its up's and down's where someones gotten pissed at one another. just because one (such as facebook) seems more family friendly/oriented or less apt to spam you doesnt mean its gonna be worth a damn.

pick and choose wisely. i still think they're all bogus.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
^^^^^^^^^
Most of what he said. Except I don't have a facebook account at all, and have no intention whatsoever of ever having one.
Yea, Me also. I don't have an account either. I have asked my wife to not open on either. She has agreed to that. I can see where it has its good points but it is kind of like computer chips in our dogs. The idea is great if used properly, but we all know things get misused very often. Facebook proves to me that people are way to willing to give up their privacy in all ways at any time. If Big Brother wants to know about several billion people all it has to do is plug into one site to get way more info that even they want about its citizens.
I will never join a site as facebook. If someone whats to hear me they have to find the sites I visit like this one.
Craig