1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49-50 front end with 56 cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, y'all! I'm just visiting from the 47 and older forum and found this thread interesting. I'm in the process (have been for a little while now) of converting a 47 PU cab into a COE. But not the way Ford did it. I intend to put a real hood on it instead of the flip up grille, for example. Also, the style kinda carried over from the late 30's except for the jailbar look. I'm in the process of cutting the fenders down to fit back partway under the doors. Then I'll have to build a new firewall, modify the doors, widen the existing PU grille... and the list goes on. My point is, if it's something you want to do, print off some pics of trucks of the period you want to use and cut them up. Then you can tape or glue them together, even if you know diddly about computers.

Where there is a will there is a way. I'm kinda curious what that would look like, too.

Dave

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
iforeman
New User
Smile

Hi mytbtruck

Is that the 32-valve 4.6L motor?

I went and had a look at your gallery photos, man your truck looks good. Up until I looked at your truck I thought my mind had been changed to look into the 56 shape, but after looking at your truck I am back to thinking that 48-50 is the nicer one.

The main problem I have is that I don’t live in the USA. Currently I live in Ireland but I am moving back home as soon as my daughter finishes university next year. Home is South Africa and they really do not want people driving left hand drive vehicles there, so I will need to convert it to a RHD. That in its self is not a problem when looking at the 48-56 ranges of pickups, as it would not bet too much trouble to change the steering and pedals.

How much room is there on the right hand side of the motor in your truck? Could the steering shat fit down that side? Is your motor centered in the chassis?

Sorry for all the questions, but after I saw your reply I went to bed and could not get to sleep thinking about all the stuff I wanted to ask you. So here I and at 1am Saturday morning trying to ask questions, and looking for the point to stop while it is still polite. I hope I found it.

Thanks

Ian

<!--EndFragment-->

Old 07-24-2010, 07:54 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tomget
Cool looking. Could i please know where ya got that wiring kit? Are you happy with it?
That wiring kit came from (thedetailzone.com) It seems kinda pricey but I feel like it was money well spent because it was made for the transmission and engine with all the sensor connectors just like they were on the car. I have a picture of the terminals and computer under the passenger seat. It workd everything just like the car. Transmission has overdrive switch to manually put it in or out. Has OBDII connector for diagnostics.I am well pleased with it.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by iforeman
Hi mytbtruck

Is that the 32-valve 4.6L motor?

I went and had a look at your gallery photos, man your truck looks good. Up until I looked at your truck I thought my mind had been changed to look into the 56 shape, but after looking at your truck I am back to thinking that 48-50 is the nicer one.

The main problem I have is that I don’t live in the USA. Currently I live in Ireland but I am moving back home as soon as my daughter finishes university next year. Home is South Africa and they really do not want people driving left hand drive vehicles there, so I will need to convert it to a RHD. That in its self is not a problem when looking at the 48-56 ranges of pickups, as it would not bet too much trouble to change the steering and pedals.

How much room is there on the right hand side of the motor in your truck? Could the steering shat fit down that side? Is your motor centered in the chassis?

Sorry for all the questions, but after I saw your reply I went to bed and could not get to sleep thinking about all the stuff I wanted to ask you. So here I and at 1am Saturday morning trying to ask questions, and looking for the point to stop while it is still polite. I hope I found it.

Thanks

Ian

<!--EndFragment-->
I have the SOHC engine the one with the 32 valves is DOHC which is single overhead cam or double overhead cam. I used all the complete front suspension from the T-BIRD so I had engine mounts and rack and pinion power steering without any modification. We did have to fabricate upper control arms to use the front suspension. I feel like you would have as much room for RH controls as well as LH controls depending what you use for mounting your engine in the frame. Don't worry about the questions because we all are here to help each other. Let me know if I can be of any help. PM me your E-mail address and I can send you some more pictures if that would help. One the guys on the forum is from Australia, maybe he could help with RH controls better than any of us "YANKS". Larry.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
That wiring kit came from (thedetailzone.com) It seems kinda pricey but I feel like it was money well spent because it was made for the transmission and engine with all the sensor connectors just like they were on the car. I have a picture of the terminals and computer under the passenger seat. It workd everything just like the car. Transmission has overdrive switch to manually put it in or out. Has OBDII connector for diagnostics.I am well pleased with it.
I'm sure it was expensive, its really nice looking. With the computer sensors and all that's exactly what I would have done. I'm not currently building anything, and dont know if I will. But I think that's a super combo for the motor/tranny, and if I were I'd certainly consider using this.

Looks Great