6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF, Computer and High Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
DPF, Computer and High Altitude

My truck did a strange thing today. I just got into Cheyenne and I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar high altitude experience. My truck was flashed last Nov and since that time my "Cleaning Exhaust" message has been a brief message of just a few seconds. Prior to that flash it would give me the message the entire duration of the regen. today as I approached Cheyenne (6000 ft MSL) the message "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" came on and stayed on. As luck would have it I was only 5 miles or so from the Rv park. I "reset" the message and it came back in a couple mins, reset again and as I parked to check in I got the "Drive to clean" message. I kept the truck at idle as we chacked in and as soon as I dropped the trailer I drove back to the interstate and drove about 10 miles and it was still on. I thought for a while that it was just showing the message since the MPG was not going down but I'm not sure. Anyway, I did a turn around and about half way back the message went away. When it cools down I'll check coolant and oil but it seemed to be running fine. Any suggestions? Could the altitude be throwing the computer off or causing the DPF to take longer to clean? Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
most likely it was due to fuel and towing...I have had that same thing happen. On the way here as a matter of fact. Coming out of Kansas into Limon CO.

I am still on the old programming though.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Hey Senix, we must have crossed courses somewhere. I came from ATL to Cheyenne. Had a great trip, Blow out on the 5er in Anniston AL, took out 2 elec circuts, a gas line and a lot of the sewage line. Got a new tire in Jasper AL and stopped in Tupelo MS for a bite. Turned too tight went over a curb with the trailer and sunk both passenger side wheels to the axle and took out the rear stabalizer. Four hours and a 350 doller wrecker bill later ( the landscaping bill from Loves is in the mail) I decided to stay the night in Tupelo. Of course the gas line torn off caused the fridge to not work under tow but I headed for Memphis anyway. Took three days and about 40 trips to Home Depot but I was able to restore the plumbing, elec circuts and the gas line so monday we went to mine diamonds in Arkansas. My wife did that while I found a local welder to re attach my stabalizer. got out of there and headed for Bella Vista Arkansas and right away took a rock in the windshield. Looked like something resin would seal so I headed for Little Rock to find a glass place. by the time I reached Little Rock the break had spread half way across the windshield so I just kept going to Northwest Arkansas. Stayed there with my son and had my windshield replaced Monday morning and headed out in search of some cooler weather. The last two days have been trouble free except for the minor issue in the OP and now we are in Cheyenne and taking a day off tomorrow. Is this a great life or what? BTW, if you are going by Colorado Springs you must see Garden of the Gods and the Garden of the Gods RV park is one of the best I've ever used.

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Stanley,

Mine seems to work as always at the higher altitudes (DPF/REGEN). We did Pikes Peak and alot of running around the Springs and stuff. So far only one regen.

Today we are headed to the Royal Gorge.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Stanley,

Mine seems to work as always at the higher altitudes (DPF/REGEN). We did Pikes Peak and alot of running around the Springs and stuff. So far only one regen.

Today we are headed to the Royal Gorge.
Hopefully you walked across the bridge and rode in the cable car.
That train below sure is small from up there.

Less to do at Pikes Peak but I like that more.
Something about walking around at 14.1k feet.

I'll be up there again in September but not sure what I'll do.
Garden of the Gods is about all I'm lacking after two previous years.
If I were to get myself in better shape for hiking high altitudes, hiking and kayaking would be fun.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live up here and mine did one of those crazy-long regens a week or so ago, and like the OP, my mileage didn't do the typical regen drop. Stayed on for around 20 minutes, when normally it's like 5.

If you have a full day, hike Pikes Peak up Barr Trail. Weather should be ok this time of year.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
We did the peak, garden of the gods yesterday and the royal gorge, we walked accross and took the tram and the incline.

Today we go to lake san isabel. At this altitude and speed I seem to regen about once a tank so far.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Whatever it was, it seems to have been a one time event. It has not reoccured. I did not see a regen message but I'm sure it has done it by now with the correct very brief message. It followed that hard uphill climb into cheyenne. Now, I'm confused but that's nothing new.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Whatever it was, it seems to have been a one time event. It has not reoccured. I did not see a regen message but I'm sure it has done it by now with the correct very brief message. It followed that hard uphill climb into cheyenne. Now, I'm confused but that's nothing new.
OK, so I am confused. I have a 2010 F-250 6.4L with around 800 miles on it now and last Friday it did it's first regen (that I am aware of). Like you posted, it came on briefly and then went away. The only way to know that it was still doing it was to run the system check and the last thing it says after telling you what your TBC gain is set to, was that it was doing the cleaning. Then the display would go back to the mileage or whatever display you had it set to previously. It never popped back up and said it was finished. Is this normal or are there different types fo cleans/regens that can occur that display a message and stay until it is completed or tell you to keep driving???? Is there possibly a difference in the display based on the rev of software the different year motors have on them?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Heavysledz
OK, so I am confused. I have a 2010 F-250 6.4L with around 800 miles on it now and last Friday it did it's first regen (that I am aware of). Like you posted, it came on briefly and then went away. The only way to know that it was still doing it was to run the system check and the last thing it says after telling you what your TBC gain is set to, was that it was doing the cleaning. Then the display would go back to the mileage or whatever display you had it set to previously. It never popped back up and said it was finished. Is this normal or are there different types fo cleans/regens that can occur that display a message and stay until it is completed or tell you to keep driving???? Is there possibly a difference in the display based on the rev of software the different year motors have on them?
The newer flash only comes on for a few seconds then goes away. The truck will still be in regen mode until it's done though. I think they did that so they didn;t scare people...

Old 07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
only once have a caught a cleaning exhaust filter completed message.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Thanks...so it sounds like mine is operating as designed. I wish it would tell you it was doing it so you would know not to shut it off and let it finish instead of starting over again the next time you drive it. I do a lot of 15-25 minute trips and don't want it to restart 10 times because I didn't know it was still doing a regen and shut the truck off...sounds like Ford is trying to make it as invisible to the end-user as possible. I like information and would prefer to see the message the entire time personally.....

Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
The "cleaning exhause filter" comes on all the time for me. I've always thought elevation had something to do with it. Mine regens non stop. Roughly every 40-90 miles. Crazy I know. Rarely does it actually complete the cycle because I'm usually only driving for 20 minutes a time. It's only a matter of time before I do the DPF delete and tuner.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by boulderbronco
The "cleaning exhause filter" comes on all the time for me. I've always thought elevation had something to do with it. Mine regens non stop. Roughly every 40-90 miles. Crazy I know. Rarely does it actually complete the cycle because I'm usually only driving for 20 minutes a time. It's only a matter of time before I do the DPF delete and tuner.
You need to go to the dealership with that one. Your sensors are out of whack.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
You need to go to the dealership with that one. Your sensors are out of whack.
I have been. They said it's "normal". I say BS. I'm going in again next week for an oil change so I'm going to push them harder for an answer.

Quick Reply: DPF, Computer and High Altitude