1991 f150 runs bad under load

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
pbass
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 f150 runs bad under load

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/b/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; color:black;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} pre {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} tt {mso-ascii-font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"; mso-hansi-font-family:"Courier New"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Ford Truck Enthusiast Gods Please Show Mercy On Me,<o></o>
I know there is a lot of info here but it’s like a Google search..it almost too much info to be had… I’m sure my issues have been addressed at one time or another but here goes.<o></o>
I have a 1991 F150 XLT Lariat ½ ton 4x4, 4.9 i 6, 4 spd manual shift with O.D. 134,500 miles Computer :EEC IV FTF - AEA<o></o>
For a long time it would run great when cold, and when it got warm and you shut it off at your destination, come back 15 minutes later it would cough and sputter BADLY for about 30 seconds then choke idle up then settle about 900 – 1000 rpms and off you go. It doesn’t emit smoke.<o></o>
Lately, when you start it cold, it choke idles up then settles down but you can’t put a load on it. If you could drive in idle you’d be fine. As soon as you give it some gas up the slightest incline it bucks and jerks so violently I’m afraid of wrecking the trans and drive train! <o></o>
I pulled the computer out 2 days ago to get the numbers off of it. I put the computer back in the truck today and pulled the codes and now upon start up it idles at 1500 rpm for about 2 minutes before settling down to 900-1000. It never did that before but still bucks and jerks around under load.<o></o>
<o></o>
I got the following codes: <o></o>
KOEO # 522 = Vehicle not in PARK or NEUTRAL during KOEO (I’m confused because it WAS in neutral)
KOEO # 111 = System pass
KOER # 538 = Insufficient RPM change during KOER dynamic response test/ Operator error (I never touched the accelerator)
KOER # 114 ACT (Air Charge Temperature sensor) out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.<o></o>
Here is the ACT info: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=29<o></o><o></o>

My friend is a mechanic at a Chevy car dealer no trucks (please bear with me) He told me he isn’t familiar with Ford and thinks the ACT code is probably not right if the engine wasn’t at operating temp. It wasn't completely hot but it's 90 degrees here and it was running for 5 minutes.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o> NO CEL, but something has to be wrong. Could it be a simple ACT? I just did Fuel filter, cap and rotor and my local FORD guys says, after that he suspects either a clogged primary catalytic conver or the computer isn’t advancing the timing under a load properly.. I just got the codes today, Autozone has a ACT I’m picking up tomorrow. I’m about to buy a computer….they are $100 for a reman whereas a catalytic converter is $275<o></o>

About 8 years the truck was running a bit rough and the codes suggested a Throttle/ EGR position sensor and an EGR on it. As a result, I got all of the codes cleared but it ran worse than it did prior to the 300 – 400 bucks worth of “repairs” and fuel mileage decreased a bit. I no longer have the code reader.

This is no gem mind you and to me it is near time to junk it . But if I can stick $500 – $600 bucks into it and get 2 more years out of it I would be more than satisfied. I only use this truck for weekend warrior stuff, drywall, some lumber here and there etc…<o></o><o></o>
Does any of this sound familiar? Any input greatly appreciated. I don’t think I have ever posted before even though I registered years ago. So I apologize if I haven’t posted correctly
Thanks in advance,
<o></o>
Brad<o></o><o></o>