1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Died while driving down the road...help !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Thewiller
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Died while driving down the road...help !!

Ok guys and girls..here goes.
I have had this 2002, 7.3 F350 for about year now. 260,00 miles and I use it mostly for towing 5th wheel. Truck ran great last week from NC to Virginia and 1,000 miles of travel. Have been home for a week and used it to run to store and back and never a problem....until today.
I was heading to Mooresville, ( 10 miles away ) and the truck ( engine) stopped running and left me on the side of the road 2 miles down the road. I have the basics all covered..fresh oil, filters etc. When I turn the key however, the " check gages" and battery light on dashboard stay on while cranking. Truck turns over strong but just wont fire.....just asking for some tips to were I should start....like maybe a checklist of things I may be missing...thanks so much !!!!!
Bill

Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the classic CPS going out. Have you done the recall on this?

This is what I'm talking about. LINK

Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Thewiller
5th Wheeling
Still learning ....my first diesel. CPS ?....such a newbie !!! LOL Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Look back at my last post. I put the link in there.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Probably a cps. Make sure your wait to start light comes on.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Thewiller
5th Wheeling
Guess I was getting to excited and missed it..sorry.
Any way of testing it ? .. or just replace it ? ..Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM
westpsd
Senior User
if you don't have a spare and can't get one (they are only about $20 from Ford, let me know and I will bring you one. I am about 60 miles from you and I do have AE if it turns out not to be something simple, I can scan it. I will check back in a little while to check on your progress.

Jim

Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
westpsd
Senior User
Sorry, forgot to answer your question....replace it. As mentioned before, make sure your "Wait to start" light comes on when you turn the key to on. If it doesn't, then it is a blown fuse. Happened to me a couple of months ago.

Jim

Old 07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Make sure you check on the wait to start lights. No WTS light means the fuel bowl heater shorted out and kills power to the pcm by blowing a fuse.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Hey Bill I'm in Albemarle NC need any help PM me

Richard

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Thewiller
5th Wheeling
Awsome help....I pulled out the sensor and it is black...should I buy one from Ford or aftermarket ? Grey ones are not good ? Thanks again

Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

buy from FORD or International, parts store CPS's are not usually worth the box they come in. The Grey CPS works fine in my truck, others have issues but it is a truck by truck basis but I have never heard of a truck not running at all with a ford CPS. Usually the problems are more performance related. If you still have the Black factory CPS your truck should be covered under the recall. If you are broke down take the old CPS and your VIN number in to a dealer and they may just give you a grey CPS. On the other hand you may just want to buy one in case the CPS isn't the problem so you can keep the black one. they are relatively cheap...$20 I think from a dealership.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Originally Posted by clem1226
buy from FORD or International, parts store CPS's are not usually worth the box they come in. The Grey CPS works fine in my truck, others have issues but it is a truck by truck basis but I have never heard of a truck not running at all with a ford CPS. Usually the problems are more performance related. If you still have the Black factory CPS your truck should be covered under the recall. If you are broke down take the old CPS and your VIN number in to a dealer and they may just give you a grey CPS. On the other hand you may just want to buy one in case the CPS isn't the problem so you can keep the black one. they are relatively cheap...$20 I think from a dealership.
I was at the dealer today and they have a dark blue CPS that they claim is the latest, greatest. $38.00.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Thewiller
5th Wheeling
Thanks for all the help. I went to the dealer and they gave me a new "grey" CPS under the recall for N/C so I really could not be fussy. Came home, put it in and started up and seams to run good around the block. What could be wrong with the grey sensor ? Will it not last as long ? Any suggestions for parts to carry as I use the truck for long RV vacations. I would have soiled my wears if this would have stopped working on the Chesepake Bay bridge and tunnel last week :}

Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

a spare CPS and 10 Mil wrench are good things to have in the glovebox, as far as spare parts thats all I carry. My truck is creeping up on 300K and the only time it has left me stranded is when the fuel bowl heater shorted out and blew the PCM fuse......oh ya and the tranny. Well now that I think about it The alternator went once too but it is a pretty expensive spare part to carry.

info about CPS trouble and the different types of CPS's can be found here CPS Info

glad you got her fixed!! as for a spare parts list, maybe a spare fuel filter,Belt and a CPS for the basics. If you want to spend some money a spare alternator, ICP and IPR will set you back four or five hundred dollars and don't take up that much room. When the alternator gos you can usually get 20 miles before she quits completely.

Quick Reply: Died while driving down the road...help !!