Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

torque converter locking up

Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
mxfam4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter locking up

Hello All! Replaced 4r100 transmission with rebuilt 10k ago. Trans failed, had reverse but no forward gears as was the reason for replacing trans in the first place. Shop warranted trans and sent me another rebuild trans after 6 weeks of arguing and waiting. Re-installed trans refilled fluid. tried to start - no fuel in filter bowl, lift pump not running. 30 amp fuse burned in fuse pannel under steering console for pcm & glow plug relay. Replaced fuse & lift pump works again. Finally going right? Wrong!
Started shifting from Reverse to Drive all OK, Shifted back and forth to make sure oil throughout. Shifted from Drive to 2nd, torque converter lockes up and engine dies. same thing if you shift down into 1st. Put it in reverse all seems ok till you step on the throttle pedal. as soon as you start to step on accellerator torque converter locks up and engine stalls. Is this a electronic issue? I believe the torque converter is locked up electronically not mechanically. Reburn or replace PCM? Hope it's not the transmission bad, Truck has been down for almost 3 months now. Love riding the Harley, but winter will come. Any advise greatly appreciated.++

Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The torque convertor is locked up electronically, I would be calling th etrans guy righ tnow and asking.. But that would be a knee jerk reaction. Hopefully Mark will see this thread.

IS everything plugged back in??

Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the Ttrans still full of fluid?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,049 Posts
If you pinched a wire installing the trans this can happen. So can low fluid or a loose or missing internal filter.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mxfam4x4
30 amp fuse burned in fuse pannel under steering console for pcm & glow plug relay. :
to address this, did you figure out why the fuse blew? fuel bowl heater.........

Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 AM
mxfam4x4
Senior User
now what?

Well folks, it is getting worse. I have been talking to the rebuilder and he is sure it is an electrical problem not a valve body problem " of course". The only code the truck has ever thrown is "01-p0603 internal control module KAM error" I looked it up and it has to do with air fuel mixture. All wires are good, trans is full, I have not dumped the 3 plus gallons of atf I just put in to see if the filter is loose or missing. I guess I will bitethe bullet & give it a try. Not holding out much hope that is the problem though. Never had these problems till new trans installed. sure don't want to drive all the way to Ariz. to try to have this guy work on the trans a third time. Any help appreciated!!!

Originally Posted by mxfam4x4
Hello All! Replaced 4r100 transmission with rebuilt 10k ago. Trans failed, had reverse but no forward gears as was the reason for replacing trans in the first place. Shop warranted trans and sent me another rebuild trans after 6 weeks of arguing and waiting. Re-installed trans refilled fluid. tried to start - no fuel in filter bowl, lift pump not running. 30 amp fuse burned in fuse pannel under steering console for pcm & glow plug relay. Replaced fuse & lift pump works again. Finally going right? Wrong!
Started shifting from Reverse to Drive all OK, Shifted back and forth to make sure oil throughout. Shifted from Drive to 2nd, torque converter lockes up and engine dies. same thing if you shift down into 1st. Put it in reverse all seems ok till you step on the throttle pedal. as soon as you start to step on accellerator torque converter locks up and engine stalls. Is this a electronic issue? I believe the torque converter is locked up electronically not mechanically. Reburn or replace PCM? Hope it's not the transmission bad, Truck has been down for almost 3 months now. Love riding the Harley, but winter will come. Any advise greatly appreciated.++

Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Flyin5
Senior User
Mine is doing the same thing.... was worse, now it rarely does it. Let me know what you find out. Sure gives you an uneasy feeling when pulling into heavy traffic not knowing if your truck is going to lock up and stall....