Real life data for my trip to Colorado from Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Real life data for my trip to Colorado from Maryland

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Well, we are on vacation here in Pueblo Colo, Super Duty needs a vacation too you know.

So thought I would post up some numbers for food for thought.

I took I70 from Frederick, Then I 68 thru Cumberland, MD, Morgantown WV and then into Washington PA where I caught I 70 again.

I 70 then runs all the way to Limon, CO where I took HWY 24W to the Springs and then onto Pueblo, CO.

So the first leg of the trip going thru I 68 and then the Interstate from Morgantown WV to Washington PA had the most hills to climb.

So my load was my 5er of course and six people. Full fresh water and everything for dry camping along the way. I was at least 15K as I had some furniture to deliver to my Daughter too.

So temps for the engine stayed around 215 F for the most part. They would go up on the hills, I hit 230F one time, but usually no more than 225F. Fan kicks on at 220F, needle acutally does move to the right of center at that point.

Tranny temps, were usually around 200F, give or take a few on either side. Mostly under 200F. Did hit a couple of 220F briefly on those same hills, but no more than a few minutes so I am not worried about that. Acorrding to what I know the tranny can take 220F all day long.

So total miles was 1588.8 and aver mpg..the worst part was 7 mpg.

I was hoping for 8, but I was well in 23K gross combined.

Now the truck only has 3.73 gears and I did this in stock programming.

I had my banks in monitoring position only. I would never advise towing heavy in any other programming mode but stock.

EGT's, let me add this, usually 900-1200 for the most part., Several 1300-1350's and I had a couple of spikes with some downshifts heading thru Kansas into Colorado. 1425F, but just a couple of seconds.

Do defueling or anything as the motor is able to take that briefly.

Interesting enough, pulling some of the longest grades my EGT's were only around 1350 F for those.

So all in all, so far so good.

Also thought I would add that for the 1588.8 miles, my travel time on the hwy was 28 hrs and 57 minutes. So that is 55.61 mph for the average.

I will post the return data here and of course a couple of pics.

Last edited by senix; 07-22-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds good...other than 7 mpg. Not terrible though as that is a huge trailer.

We just got back from a trip to Colorado as well..SW part of Colorado. Interestingly enough, I found that West Texas heat and hills affects my transmission temperatures more than the Colorado mountains. I assume the cooler ambient temperatures in Colorado drastically reduce my temperature. Before my trip I was paranoid about how the truck would handle everything (just over 200k miles). I was very pleased. IMO it performed flawlessly. Even my wife got in on the towing action. I woke up to her driving in a pretty serious downpour and could see the intensity on her face...white knuckles and all. Asked her if she wanted me to drive and she said, "NO...I'm fine." I didn't sleep after that.

Have a relaxing vacation.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89LX306

We just got back from a trip to Colorado as well..SW part of Colorado. Interestingly enough, I found that West Texas heat and hills affects my transmission temperatures more than the Colorado mountains. I assume the cooler ambient temperatures in Colorado drastically reduce my temperature. Before my trip I was paranoid about how the truck would handle everything (just over 200k miles). I was very pleased. IMO it performed flawlessly. Even my wife got in on the towing action. I woke up to her driving in a pretty serious downpour and could see the intensity on her face...white knuckles and all. Asked her if she wanted me to drive and she said, "NO...I'm fine." I didn't sleep after that.

200k, it is just getting broke in!

I found similar results with my 6.4. West TX heat seemed to make it run a little hotter than normal.

I hope you had seat covers, you may have had a mess to clean up after the downpour!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearitis
200k, it is just getting broke in!

I found similar results with my 6.4. West TX heat seemed to make it run a little hotter than normal.

I hope you had seat covers, you may have had a mess to clean up after the downpour!
Me thinks that the 200k is a typo...I believe he's got about 20k on it!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 89LX306

Yeah the truck has been just great, no hiccups or anything. I think what got me was the extra weight and we all know that big sail of a 5er. I am happy, so far I was predicting 8 mpg on the way out so not too bad.

I was also prepared for 3.20 a gallon for fuel and I was well under that so it evens out just fine.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Well I am back. Got some prelim info, still working on it all.

Trip total was 4,187.3 miles. I am due for an oil change. I plan on doing an OA on it as well. Oil appears to be at the full mark as always. I must have had a million regens though.

Regens were about every 130 miles for the most part.

3,295.5 miles were towing the 5er.

Truck ran flawlessly the whole time, never a problem. Regens even on hills were never an issue.

Eng Temps were anywhere from 195F to 226F. I may have hit 230F one time.

Tranny temps were 175F to as high as 220F. Those 220F's were only a couple and lasted for just a few minutes.

I tried to keep my speed at 65 MPH. Tires on the 5er are rated for that as the max.

Going was 28 hr and 57 mins and coming home was 28 hrs and 53 mins. This is driving time to include fuel stops as I did not shut the truck off. When pulling hard and long I leave it run so those turbos have a chance to catch up.

Normally just a few minutes will due on the turbos but I felt it best to just let it run.

Well mpg's for the return trip came in at 7.06. Might as well have carried a boat. Even though I was at least 1K lighter heading home it did not seem to matter. That big front has a lot of road kill on it. Certainly the reason for the lower mpgs but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Nice summary, Scott...... you are VERY disciplined to be able to keep those detailed figures.... I can do tank to tank and overall...... but dang, how many miles with the trailer in tow????? WOW!

I leave for All Truck Nats on Thursday and continue on up to NY, VT, MA and who knows where. I'll TRY to keep some records and post 'em too... Course, your rig is much heavier than mine and my 6.0 is a smaller engine too, but it'll be fun to compare. Ummm, better find my notebook now so I don't forget.......

Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I had my oldest log in the odo and gallons at each fillup. Otherwise I am sure I would not have all the data.

Good luck on your trip Bud

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Oil report is in

For those following this thread, here is the report for this tow. Numbers are not too bad, but a little worse than expected. Maybe not?

Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Originally Posted by senix
I had my oldest log in the odo and gallons at each fillup. Otherwise I am sure I would not have all the data.

Good luck on your trip Bud
Don't know if you followed any of my posts in the MD or Carlisle threads, but the truck puked coolent on the way up to Carlsisle Thursday. EOT and ECT went high (230 (oi)l and into the red for coolent) and came back down. Watched it rest of the way to campground and took it to a Ford dealer Fri AM. Their diesel tech (?) opened hood, saw the white coolent debris and said " Head Gaskets". I said thanks and left. Drove back and forth to fairgrounds Fri-Sat-Sun and back here today. No big problem. It goes in to Apple Ford in the morning. Will know something, hopefully by end of day tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to continue the vacation.....

Old 08-09-2010, 03:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Don't know if you followed any of my posts in the MD or Carlisle threads, but the truck puked coolent on the way up to Carlsisle Thursday. EOT and ECT went high (230 (oi)l and into the red for coolent) and came back down. Watched it rest of the way to campground and took it to a Ford dealer Fri AM. Their diesel tech (?) opened hood, saw the white coolent debris and said " Head Gaskets". I said thanks and left. Drove back and forth to fairgrounds Fri-Sat-Sun and back here today. No big problem. It goes in to Apple Ford in the morning. Will know something, hopefully by end of day tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to continue the vacation.....

Ouch, hope that isn't the real deal!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Just heard from the dealer...... head gaskets AND EGR cooler.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
hope they can get a quick turnaround for you..tough luck. But better than on the road somewhere.

I wonder why they would have failed in your case.