Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 7.3L No Start - New CPS and ICP no help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:41 AM
gladiator15
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I join in?

Hi my name is Jason just joined up and have been seaching the forums looking for hints to my truck 2002 7.3 f-250 110k some of the issues your having sound similer to mine. truck will start and run if I stop somewhere after driving more than 5 min it won't restart for a couple of hours and twice now it has shut off while driving down the road! changed the cps and then had it towed home today after sitting for 5 hours fired right up. no codes at all fuel bowl clean fuel pump runs I'm running out of ideas also. any ideas on your end?
thanks
Jason

Old 08-01-2010, 12:07 PM
insolution
Junior User
I am still in Phoenix but thought I'd update you all...I think I found the problem finally.

On Weds night before I left for Phoenix I was out in the driveway in the dark trying to start the truck via a hose from a bucket of fuel in to the fuel pump. Truck ran the same, like crap. So much for a clogged fuel intake in the tank and the original fuel pump was good as it turns out.

So I cleared the DTC's and restarted the truck, kept is (barely) running for about 3 minutes and then re-checked the DTC's. It now threw the code for the ICP sensor, so again, I unplugged the now-new-from-Ford CPS and guess what? Truck started and ran like new.

So I guess after all this *$@#^& and $470.00 later I had a bad ICP originally and a bad replacement ICP from Ford. Talk about frustrating. The mechanic and the moonlighting Ford Tech from the local dealership that was doing a favor for the garage I took it to both mis-diagnosed the truck as needing $1300 worth of fuel pump and tank sender parts/labor. The Ford Tech apparently plugged in the Ford computer and determined the problem without bothering to track it down further--just spend $1300 and you'll be all set. Uh, no as it turns out.

Although one of the first things I did was to unplug the ICP and check for an improvement as suggested in other no-start/rough running threads (which didn't work) it turns out that the ICP was bad after all. Can't explain why unplugging it originally didn't make the truck run better, but it seems the second time around was the charm. Weird.

If it wasn't for this forum not only would I be out the $1300 for un-needed repairs but I would be out a couple of hundred more 9at least) when they found out that the $1300 in repairs didn't fix the problem. So much for a computer scan (only) being able to pinpoint the issue. Good old troubleshooting (via this forum) is what saved the day.

Tomorrow (Monday) I will exchange the ICP at Ford and make sure that's the final fix. I will post the result to close out the thread.

As for the Sinister Diesel tank mod kit I ordered, it turned out they are just north of Phoenix so I stopped by while out here this weekend to speak with Dennis directly about the issues I was having and their kit. Can't say enough good things about these folks. Very clean, bright shop and it's very evident they are in fact very knowledgeable. Too bad there isn't anyone in South Florida as good. I am going to keep the tank mod kit and install it next weekend. The tank pickup will fail eventually, might as well do the mod before it does. I will also probably order the regulated fuel return kit from them too. Top quality engineering and an obvious upgrade over stock.

Dennis was amazed that I have 360k on my original injectors and we chatted about oil and service intervals. Until the truck exhibits signs of failing injectors I will leave them alone. That's $1500 still in m y pocket I can spend elsewhere for now.

I'll post the final chapter on the ICP in the next couple of days. Thanks to everyone who helped and to Dennis at Sinister Diesel/Strictly Diesel (now merged) for the help. Saved me at least $1000 even with the added purchases.

At least I now know the CPS, ICP and IPR are all good, that I have a new fuel pump, (will) have improved fuel filtration and a clean fuel bowl, and soon will not have to worry about the fuel pickup clogging or falling off.

Scott

Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 PM
insolution
Junior User
Hi Jason, I suggest you start a new thread to get the attention of folks who might no longer be following this thread.

But, beware the dealer! almost cost me $1300 more!

Scott

Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 AM
gladiator15
New User
Thanks

ok thanks for the advice I'm going to pick up another icp like your doing and see if that helps if not I'll start a new thread sorry it's my first time using a thread posting system
good luck to you and your truck
Jason

Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
insolution
Junior User
Originally Posted by gladiator15
ok thanks for the advice I'm going to pick up another icp like your doing and see if that helps if not I'll start a new thread sorry it's my first time using a thread posting system
good luck to you and your truck
Jason
Jason, unplug the old ICP and see if the truck starts and runs. If it does, then the ICP is probably bad. If not I would start with the Cam Position Sensor and go from there as it has a very high failure rate, even as a new part from the Ford dealer.

Note: you can't unplug the CPS and see if it runs to diagnose a bad CPS like you can the ICP. The truck won't run with the CPS unplugged.

I am myself headed to the Ford dealer now to exchange the apparently defective ICP that I purchased last week. I'll post the results shortly after I reinstall the new part.

Scott

Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM
insolution
Junior User
Just got back from the dealer with a new ICP, installed replacement for the defective (new) ICP and the truck fired right up.

Lesson: don't assume new parts are good parts, even from the dealer.

Seems like Ford has a problem with their sensor suppliers.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input. I (unfortunately) learned a lot and will have a more robust fuel system, but oh, what a hassle!

Scott

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
toyota37s
New User
cant afford a mechanic:(

Hi I am new I have to admit you guys are awesome I have trouble with my 99 7.3. It wont start,no smoke out the pipe either,so I am going to follow up all what this guy did (forgot his user name) and hopefully ill get it running 285000miles, I haven't check the harness yet, but I already did all the basics,

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes remember the basics, full of oil, 10.5 volts while cranking, ICP sensor has to see 500PSI. Depending on the year of your truck the tach might move showing a good CPS

Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 PM
toyota37s
New User
Yes thanks for the reply, California its either. Food or fix my truck! And I Wana do both so I can work yea my each moves about 3 to 400rpms, my idm looked dry and clean (connections) I am getting some tools tomorrow, but its bona rain til Saturday so I wont work on it til Sunday (no garage) thanks for your time ill update as soon as the rain stops

Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your tach is moving, thats good, CPS should be good. It doesn't hurt to unplug the ICP sensor on the front of the drivers side head to test it. Unplugged it will send default values which if the sensor is bad will allow the truck to start.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
toyota37s
New User
Hello bigAls well its tuesday I checked ohms on the motor side and they seem fine,and also checked voltage on the harness and I didn't get any readings at all,not cranking or just with the key ON position,all fuses are good,and interchanged the relays and nothing,?does the injectors receive power from the IDM directly? Or from the glowplug relay?? Tomorrow my friend its going to stop on the evening and let me borrow his IDM out of a 2000 f250 ?what do you think?good idea?thanks alot for your time,and the rest of the group god bless you guys