Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Elder User

capt caper is starting off with a positive reputation.
It was around that mileage. Although it went on for a while. It started along time ago maybe with 25k when I saw coolant loss. Radiator replaced,then still coolant loss,another radiator,then thermostats,still coolant loss,etc. you know what I mean. Takes a week or two for appointments,etc.
Time wize it must have been 1 1/2 years to get it worked out.

But it has been flawless in that it's always at the low mark when cold and never goes above high mark when hot. I just hope the front cover doesn't give me problems down the line.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior User

BASSHUNTER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Twin Falls.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt caper View Post
It was around that mileage. Although it went on for a while. It started along time ago maybe with 25k when I saw coolant loss. Radiator replaced,then still coolant loss,another radiator,then thermostats,still coolant loss,etc. you know what I mean. Takes a week or two for appointments,etc.
Time wize it must have been 1 1/2 years to get it worked out.

But it has been flawless in that it's always at the low mark when cold and never goes above high mark when hot. I just hope the front cover doesn't give me problems down the line.
Sounds Like that is what's going on with mine also.After looking at the other truck it all makes sense. The water pump is cavitating and producing alot of heat and steam and steaming the degas bottle and puking out the top.Wow maybe we could make a TSB for Ford.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Elder User

make sure you find out exactly what they're doing to it when they do it.

If they do the pump make sure they do the cover or ask to see it at that point because damage occurs from this gas problem.
I believe my tech didn't change the cover because he didn't have one in. But he had ordered a pump before hand in case. Or he might of said it wasn't damaged to bad so we'll leave it on.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior User

My tech ordered a pump and cover and is going to install updated EGR valve.I think the new EGR valve has different hose routing.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:46 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
new EGR valve does not have the coolant going to it.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior User

That should help out with less heat going to the Tank and Steaming things up.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Elder User

I couldn't get mine to install a new egr.. I guess if it's not broke don't fix it.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Senior User

Just got a call fron dealership service dept.Been in testing for 2 days and they say the HG's are leaking under load. Anybody installed ARP studs in 6.4 to know if those are the best to use.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior User

kane gray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSHUNTER View Post
Just got a call fron dealership service dept.Been in testing for 2 days and they say the HG's are leaking under load. Anybody installed ARP studs in 6.4 to know if those are the best to use.
Damn that sucks! Will it be covered under warranty? If you need anything I am just down here in Pocatello bud. I make my way to twin occasionally anyways.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior User

R-T0r21on is starting off with a positive reputation.
ARP's should be good. I put in Elite's studs before ARP's were available. Sorry 'bout the Hg's. I did have a feeling that that was the problem.
Job #1 F-350 SRW, 6.4 PSD, Auto, 4x4, supercab, long bed, Line-X, Vent visors, AFE cold air intake, MBRP "cool duals" exhaust, Bed locker electric retractable tonneau cover, Kenwood DNX-9980HD Nav. stereo w/ backup camera, Titan 60 gal. tank, Readylift leveling kit, 5" rear spring blocks, Banks intercooler, Spartan 275 hp DOC/DPF delete tune.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior User

Covered under the 100000 mile eng warr.Just sucks you have to tear down an engine w 41000 miles.So i thought i would put the good studs in when they do the repair.I am out the cost of the studs but just added protection for the future!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Elder User

Basshunter your symptons sounded like my symptons. I hope my HG's aren't going. My coolant stays inbetween the degas marks and hasn't dropped any that I can see. I did have a hight amount of potassium the last oil change but no sodium so they were not sure if it was coolant.
If it is a problem I hope it shows it's head. before 100K. I don't tow anything too big maybe my Lance but I haven't been using it that much so who knows.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior User

Young Gun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you have any mods?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
very few headgaskets have failed on this motor. Any mods?

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
64, bass, coolant, degas, duty, ford, hot, hunter, idaho, overflow, resevoir, spit, spitting, super, tank, taurus, water