1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM
SCBarger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what to do

A month ago I got 1955 F-100 rust bucket minus motor and trans. Since then I can not figure out what to do. Make it a 4x4 or street truck? I know I am going to keep it more of a rat rod then a cream puff but that is it.

I was told you could put a full size Bronco chassis under it but I am not sure about that. It seams the Bronco would be wider then the F-100. I like that idea because I could get a late model truck with a fuel injected 5.0 in it and everything else and I don't have worry about upgrading everything.

The other idea is to put a Mustang II front end under it get a 5.0 from my brothers mustang that getting a 351w. But I still have to find a trans upgrade the rear suspension and brakes.

I have seen a few Broncos here and there for about $1500 so I think this might a cheaper then the Mustang II front end. I guess in the end all this is going to depend on what things will fit.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
If you go the street route, I'd get a parts car that runs good that you can just swap everything over. This is some of what I am doing:
I got a 9 inch rear axle out of a 71 pickup that bolts into the truck for $150 (57-72 will fit)
Got a 89 lincoln town car with 302 AOD trans that runs good for $650 (gonna scrap the rest and get about half my money back) Plus gonna use other parts off of it that will save me money.
Gonna spend about $1000-1200 to get the rest of the components for my MII front end
My rear springs are good on my truck so I'll just keep them and not have to spend 400 or more on a new set that does the same thing.
Gonna get urethane primer and hot rod black paint from Eastwood and paint myself maybe 250 bucks?
Just some food for thought as I am on a low budget for my truck.

I think the bronco chassis swap might be a little tricky for you in the "Fitting" department but you can always customize as you go along depending on your skills.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to FTE! For the 4x4 route, here's a similar pickup that a 4x4 conversion was made with. There's differences between your frame and the earlier 48-52 frames, so just take it as food for thought. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...d-f-1-4x4.html

Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
SCBarger
New User
I saw that post and I am not really thinking of doing a conversion per say I was thinking of taking a 4x4 and putting my body on it. I am just not sure if stuff will line up I thinking it would be close with in few inches but that is just a guess.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:07 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Newer Bronco wheelbase is 104", your pickup is about 114" The rear width of the Bronco frame is about 37" or so, your frame width is 34". The vertical bends in the Bronco frame make for big gaps under the bed and cab, where your frame is pretty flat. And you already know the track width is wider on the Bronco. But where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM
SCBarger
New User
Thank you that helps.
Now that being said what might be a good donor car or truck to get most of my parts from?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
SCBarger
New User
Thinking and looking around maybe I should start with a Explorer or Mountaineer for donor car. Just transfer the drive train and suspension over to my frame. Just find one with a V8, 4x4 or all wheel drive. I wonder how an all wheel F-100 would handle. Idk just trying to make sure I get the right donor car.

I found this one but I would like to find one cheaper.
1997 Ford Explorer, AWD,V8 engine

Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welp you need too look at two threads SCB . i just bumped houghda's thread on his explorer based finished build back up to the top after a few eons , and if you wonder over to the projects forum you'll find a 4x4 55 build there by a fella that is still in the works to give you an idea of what you wanna do . also dave boley is building an hybrid all wheel drive based on an explorer with a few donations from a thunderbird supercoupe that he had some chatter on here about . if you go to the other site listed in boleys signature you'll find some more on it there . if you wanna drive it now go simple or it's gonna be awhile before it sees the light of day one of the other way's !!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU CAN DREAM IT UP AND STAY THE COURSE ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE , AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE !!!!!!!