1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starting over :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
The original front suspension when in good condition, handles 95% as well as any aftermarket IFS, and better than most. The Ford beam axle was a good setup.
I researched IFS myself once and this was the opinion of most people and the eventual conclusion to most of the IFS threads on FTE. And, like AXracer said, you should be able to pick one up on the cheap from all the jag & M2 people.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Mr. N
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AXracer you make some very good points. I guess since I never had the original suspension to begin with I never really considered it as an option. I'll maybe have to look into it a bit more.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Most want to put in an IFS because the "magazines" tout it as the thing to do (and to promote their advertisers), and the hot rod shops do it because their customers request it and they want to get their work in the magazines. With many early suspension designs it IS a good idea. The parallel leaf beam axle Ford used in it's trucks is the exception to that rule, and still is the setup used in most heavy trucks.
I too was almost sucked into that belief that the beam axle needed to go, and that's all my wife and I talked about on the flight out to pick up Gracie, our new 56 panel. Fortunately the front end had already been completely rebuilt by a PO including non power front disks and ram style power assist steering, and we had a 2K mile cross country shake down drive to bring her home. Within a 1/2 day our "to do" list changed from an IRS to a new Toyota PS system to replace the worn out stock steering box and numb ram assist, and adding power assist for the disk brakes.
Remember we are national level autocross racers, where handling is everything to us and we planned to tow our race car and trailer long distances with our "new" truck.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mr. N,
I agree with AXracer, in most respects. He knows his suspensions systems. A properly rebuilt straight axle system will ride nicely. Please note I said PROPERLY. It also takes a modern steering box, like the Toyota.

That said, I opted for an IFS system for my 48 F1. In fact I have the very last Dakota crossmember installed by Steve at Industrial Chassis. He also straightened my pretzel of a 60 year old frame and added boxing plates and an 1-3/4 inch diameter tube center crossmember.

If you decide to go with IFS, use either the Jag or a correctly designed Mustang II. Not all MII kits are geometrically correct. I'd talk to Steve at Industrial Chassis on which kit to use as he has fixed many an incorrectly installed kit and wrongly designed kits.

If you go with a rebuilt stock I-beam front end, be sure you install new king pins in the spindles with new spindle bushings properly reamed. Also, use NEW springs. I have a good axle and spring shackles for sale if yours are to beat up to use.

No matter which front suspension you choose, make sure your frame is straight. If needs be take it to a shop and have them check it for you. If its really bad consider using a new TCI or other reproduction frame as it may be cheaper than trying to fix the original 50 year old frame. The difference between fixing my frame and a new one was a little cheaper on fixing mine, so I kept it. I was also able to keep the original frame numbers and the original title.

Good luck with your project.

Phil