Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

T19 Leaks...cracked adapter

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM
TomA92
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T19 Leaks...cracked adapter

The transmission in my truck has leaked ever since I got it. I used to just top it off once in a while but recently it has gotten a lot worse. I use this truck on 200 mi runs and now I have to fill it at each end so it is time to fix it.

Near as I can tell it is coming from a crack in the adapter from the transmission to the transfer case. I am wondering if this is a common failure with these trucks.

An outfit in Las Vegas NV called Drivetrains.com shows one for about $225, I will probably have to call them to find out if it is the right one for my truck. Has anyone done business with this outfit?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 07-17-2010, 01:47 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know if it is common or not but that sounds kinda high. Are they gonna install it? If not and you are gonna do the work you could probably pick one up at a u-pull yard for next to nothing. Not 100% sure but most of the t-cases were the same bolt pattern and one from a t18 is probably the same thing.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
TomA92
Junior User
Thanks for the comment kenpobuck. Unfortunately I have had so little trouble with my truck that I am not familiar with where to find them in wrecking yards. I know a guy who had some parts trucks but his wife had them scrapped when he was away on a trip.
The worst part is my son scrapped an old Ford from the 70's, I had him save the transmission and transfer case. It was the cast iron transfer case. It is gone now, I guess it went in another load.

Tom

Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 PM
charleswood6969
Senior User
First place I would check would be to call some of your local transmission shops, not the national chains like AAMCO, but some of the smaller shops. Most keep a stockpile of used parts for just such an emergency. Like, couple weeks ago, I spun a bearing in my C-6 6.9. My local shop, Chuck & Larry's, just happened to have a bare case sitting around for 50 bucks.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 AM
greywynd
Posting Guru
You also need a diesel specific housing, the bolt patterns are different for gas versus diesel.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
FL-Mudd-Duck
Senior User
greywynd he doesn't need the bellhousing he needs the adapter between the t-case and transmission .
i had mine welded at the local welding shop . they like to break the ears were it bolts to the trans then it will leak and wear your tail shaft on trans out.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
TomA92
Junior User
It seems to have a hairline crack right in the center at the bottom. I am concerned that it may be cracked at the top too. I think it may be aluminum. It is hard to see what is going on there with all the pans and cross members. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to change, just pull the transfer case and leave the transmission in place.

Thanks for the insight,

Tom
'86 F 250 6.9 4X4