Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Freshman User

Mustang1966 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Regular length or EL?

I've been searching around for a 2007+ Expedition EL for a while. Haven't quite found one that works yet. I'm now starting to think about widening my search into the non-EL. There are way more non-EL's out there for sale.

I tow a small cargo trailer and will tow a car in a 24' trailer. I wanted the EL for the additional wheelbase as some of the distances I travel will be 500ish miles.

What is your guys opinion on towing with the non-EL? Stable enough with my relatively short trailer?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Freshman User

repguns is starting off with a positive reputation.
IMO the only reason for the EL would be cargo space - I don't think you are going to notice a huge difference in towing with either - for that 24 footer, you are better off with an F250. I tow a 24' with Harleys in it, pulls fine, but if I was back into going everywhere with the bikes, I'd go back to an HD pickup.
We've only had our 08 Limited for 4 months and I'm already looking for an EL just for the interior space. We have 3 little girls and they have a ton of stuff!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Freshman User

I don't really have any use for a pickup bed and would rather have the extra comfortable seating when family is in town. The regular length looks like you couldn't even get a suitcase behind the 3rd row. I have 2 little girls with a lot of stuff, I'm sure the stuff we take will grow as they do...

I'm just seeing alot more regular lengths available with the options I need, bit less cash also.

If it'll tow like I need it too then it could be an option.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
Hi Mustang1966, welcome to FTE!

I recently purchased a 2010 Expy Limited EL. We just got back from a 2,200 round trip to FL with 4 adults and 2 young boys. With 6 suit cases and loads of other stuff for the 7 day trip, I purchased a folding hitch carrier for the large suit cases.

Maybe the folding hitch carrier, folds up and out of the way when not loaded, might be an option for you it you can not find an EL.

Ooops, on edit, I see you tow a trailer, sorry.

Rest in peace STEVE, STEVEBRICKS, my west coast brother. 08/06/14

Last edited by glruff; 07-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Freshman User

Thanks George.

Would there be much noticeable difference towing between the wheelbases?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
I personally think the longer wheel base gives a smoother overall ride, but then again I have a limited and it rides better than the XLT or Eddie Bauer IMO.

Not sure about towing since I have never towed with it. I am just guessing but would think there would not be too much difference other than the EL may weigh a bit more.

If you need the tow rating for my EL, I will look it up for you.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glruff View Post
I personally think the longer wheel base gives a smoother overall ride, but then again I have a limited and it rides better than the XLT or Eddie Bauer IMO.

Not sure about towing since I have never towed with it. I am just guessing but would think there would not be too much difference other than the EL may weigh a bit more.

If you need the tow rating for my EL, I will look it up for you.
The non-EL has a tow rating of 9000 (4x4 w/HD tow package), that is 300lbs more than the EL. I won't be anywhere near the maximum so that doesn't really bother me.

I have heard the longer the wheelbase the sturdier the tow but I have no idea what the formula is. Are the extra few inches of the EL going to make any noticeable difference with a 24' trailer?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

4x4, With 131" /WB, GVWR 7720lbs

With the optional tow package:

GCWP is 15000lbs

Max trailer is 9000lbs

Per my manual

Overall length is more that a few inches I think. More like 12 to 14 inches.

Last edited by glruff; 07-26-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 07-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Junior User

gr8dain is starting off with a positive reputation.
We took our 2007 EL up to Michigan last year (2 adults and 2 kids) for a week. When we got there, we met with my brother, his wife and daughter (7 people now). We drove around the state with all of our luggsage in the back only. Nothing on top and nothing in the seats. That was a week long trip for 7 of us and our luggage. You would have to load up the top or a trailer without the EL. It performed so well, when someone totalled it we got another (only upgraded from EB to Limited). It did take us a long time to get the options we wanted, both times we bought. I was determined to get the same options or more when we replaced the EB.

I have only towed a u-haul with furniture in it. And then it was local (50 miles each way), so I can't comment on the ride too much, it did not seem to affect the ride to me, and I did not hit any mountain passes.

But I guess I am saying to keep looking for the EL. They are out there, it just may take longer than you think. We actually had our pick of a bunch, we just had a certain set of options we wanted.

Good luck.

Dain
Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Freshman User

Thanks for the replies guys.

Anybody tow a car trailer with the non-EL? How is it? Its in the 6000-7000lb range.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
How 'bout this at 5000 pounds?

Click the image to open in full size.

-- Chuck
Old 07-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Freshman User

Chuck,

Nice trailer. So, does it pull ok?

I'm from England where people tow 2 ton trailers with 2.0 liter cars! I remember being a kid and my dad towing our little caravan 6 hours for a family vacation in his 2.0l MkV Cortina! We were down to 2nd gear on one grade. Not what I plan on doing!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pulls great. I was in the UK a month ago and noted all the campers pulled by passenger cars. But the Expedition pulls my camper across the Pennsylvania Turnpike at speed limit plus speeds and rarely drops lower than 4th gear.

Never heard of "wheelbase" issues with recreational towing. My Explorer pulled this same trailer, but I was flogging her too hard for my comfort.

-- Chuck
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Elder User

benshere is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 07 EL but have not towed with it yet. We went with the EL because of the cargo space behind the 3rd row.

Used to tow 31' TT with E250 van. A big factor, maybe more so than the wheelbase is the distance from the rear axle to the coupler (hitch ball). The shorter, the better, thats why the van did so well.

That length is nothing but a "lever" to transfer the forces that move the trailer around (passing 18 wheelers and cross winds) to the tow vehicle. The longer the lever, the more mech advantage it has and the more sideways force it will transfer.

The EL has a longer coupled distance, so I would expect it to be less stable than the regular, but I have no experience with either of the Expys.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM
New User

kuk22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can give you my $.02....
Ive always loved the Expys so when I needed a new car to replace my Mountaineer I looked for a shorty but couldnt find any super loaded ones in my price range. I did find a really nice EL.
I told myself, How different could it drive from all the other "shorties" I have driven.

Dealer let me take it home. I live in Chicago not the suburbs. Picked up my wife downtown in the EL and did some general driving in the city. My consensus was it was way too big. The extra wheelbase is very noticeable and the extra length in the city is a detriment.

The next week I found a loaded shorty Eddie and bought it. I was driving it like my Mountaineer that same day. Im pretty used to driving F-150's, but the EL was just too big. If you need the storage, then get it by all means.
But I can carry 5 comfortable passengers with plenty of cargo (3rd row down) and haul my 18' trailer with ease. The extra storage wasnt my main concern so I think the shorty was the right choice for me...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
angled, difference, el, expedition, ford, inwards, length, regular, tires, truck