timing light

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 AM
marcograms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing light

I have gone over the posts about vacuum advance hookup and I like what Bear45/70 has recommended. So, I would like to move my advance vacuum from manifold to the proper port on the carb. After I do this I will need to reset the timing. I don't know much about timing an engine but I want and need to learn. A timing light is in order and I don't have a clue. What kind or brand do I get? Preferably something that will last a long time. Step by step timing instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and regards, Marco.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
IMO Sears lights like this one Ebay #290453774491 are one of the best ever made. Yes, you do need to have the vacuum line hooked to the side of the carb so it isn't advancing all the time. Make sure you have the vacuum line off the advance can and plugged when you time it. I'd start at 12 degrees (engine hot) then see if it cranks over easy. If it doesn't back it off a degree and try again. In general want to set inital advance to as much as it can handle before it cranks hard.Then you can check out the curve, total and so on.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,736 Likes on 1,329 Posts
We have some type of timing light that is older than dirt. It's the kind that attaches between the spark plug boot and the spark plug. Newer ones have a clamp that just clips anywhere onto the wire. They are nice because you don't have to burn your knuckles on the headers attaching and removing it! LOL