Sponsored by:

Shocks for 2WD x

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks for 2WD x

I need some new shocks for the X. It's a 2wd V-10. I probably will never tow anything, it's just the rig I use for everything else. Bilstiens, rancho, stock, I'm not sure which way to go. I know it's probably on the forum somewhere, but maybe some references from two wheel drive owners that have purchased shocks could help me out. I need to get a front end alignment , but I wanted to put the new shocks on first. Thanks for any and all help.

Skull

Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM
BAJI26
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ranchos RS9000XL (adjustable) All the way!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Elder User
I just put Monroe Gas Magnums on my 2WD PSD Ex. I'm on a budget so I could not afford the Ranchos, etc. $147 for all four and shipped for free. So far I'm very happy with them. They have firmed up the ride and my truck does not "porpoise" over the bumps like it use to. I did the install, had a heck of time getting the top nut of the front passenger side shock.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
I looked up those Rancho's. Nice shocks put pretty spendy. I also read on here that someone put on the Bilstien's and didn't feel any difference. The Monroe's look good price wise. I just need a decent set of shocks that will give a good ride, and handle well. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 AM
BAJI26
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Monroe and I didn't notice much difference between those and the stockers.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The problem I've found with most of the more reasonably priced shocks is longevity. After the original shocks wore out (about 40k) I replaced them, first with a Gabriel, then with Monroe Reflex. I don't recall much about the Gabriels since it was a while ago but I remember that I liked them in the beginning but the "honeymoon" was short. Same thing with the Monroe's and they only lasted about 10,000 miles. I decided to try a set of KYB's. KYB has a good reputation in the sports car crowd and not as "spendy" as Bilstein's or Rancho's. So far (almost 30k) I've been very happy with them. To be fair, I don't use my Excursion as hard as some others. It mostly carries 6+ w/luggage, or a load of furniture, occassionally an enclosed trailer which may weigh in around 7000 lbs. For reference, it's a 2001 2WD Ltd V-10 w/3.73 LSD.

Lou Manglass

Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by BAJI26
I had Monroe and I didn't notice much difference between those and the stockers.
Me neither, worst shocks I ever bought....EVER!

Spend the money and get the Bilsteins, it'll be awhile before you have to spend the same money again.

Ranchos have also proven their worth well, 9000 adjustables..

Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
ArizonaBeigeX
New User
I have Bilsteins and a 2000 2wd X. I would not buy them again. The front end seems too bouncy. I think I would go with Rancho Adjustables.... Because well, they are adjustable and I could fiddle with it till I got it where I liked it. JMHO.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Wow. A lot of differant brands and opiniuns. I was on the shockwarehouse site which has quite a bit of info. They pretty much say that the bilsteins are the way to go. I would rather here real world info from you guy's ,so thanks for the info.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
I made my choice,after carefully listenling to you all, and doing some research on my own, and bought the Bilsteins for $265.00 shipped to my door from Don smith on-line. I installed them yesterday, and Have already tested them out pretty good. I will say that the ride in town and highway are exactly what I was looking for. It's a really nice ride. I really have nothing to compare it to since the shocks I pulled were stock. My rig has 103k on it. So either their original, or the previous owner went to ford some time ago and had stock shocks installed. I did notice a light purple streak or line on each old shock. Sometimes on original parts installed at the factory this type of mark is used to indicate that it was checked for proper installation.
While I'm on the subject this is what I learned from this install. to remove old shocks leave the bottom nut attached. Then put a 18mm open end wrench on the nut you can see on top of the shock, and jam the wrench against the coil. Spray all bolts with your favorite penetrent prior to any of this. The easiest way I found to remove the top nut is one of those ratcheting wrenches in 15mm, espicially the right front shock. It's easier if you can remove all tires to do this job. The rear shocks are a no brainer, two 10 mm bolts on top and a 18mm bolt and nut. Now the best part of this dribbling I'm writing is this. To install the Bilsteins, Take note that the shock has no nut welded to the body to hold it from turning while your trying to attach the ny-loc nut supplied. Making it almost impossible to due if you didn't notice the clearvly consealed ressed 8mm allen socket on top of the treaded part of the shaft where the top nut goe's on. So what you do is get another one of those reversible 3/4'' wrench's that you will probably use again anyway some day, and slip it over the the nut and shaft, then put your 8mm allen wrench in the hole and jam it against something or hold it tight and begin using your new wrench and tighten the nut to the proper torque if thats your thing ,or in my case I tighten down until the supplied bushing are smashed down to a diaimeter just under the size of the the supplied steel washer that is on top of it. Then clean your pretty new Blue and Yellow shocks off with a rag and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. total time 2 hrs taking your time. :-)>

Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Glad to hear the Bilsteins worked nicely for you.

I'm going to need to get some new shocks here pretty soon and more than likely I'm going to with the Bilsteins. After 160,000 miles on the originals...I'd say it's about time.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Just for a little clarification...what size bolts will I encounter while replacing the shocks? Just want to make sure I have the corrects sizes before I get around to replacing the shocks.