6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

stc fitting installed on a pump.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
FordMan35
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much more work is it to get to the HPOP and the STC fitting once the turbo is gone. Been thinking about cleaning the turbo, and thought it might be a good time to update the fitting. Also what parts are included in the 4C3Z-9B246-F kit?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
once the turbo is gone the hpop is right there. Remove the IPR sensor to remove the hpop cover to access pump and fitting.

In the kit you get everything you'll need including the new plastic bracket (can you believe it, PLASTIC?) you'll get all gaskets, plastic alignment bolts, and a new branch adapter with jam nut.

You will need a 15/16 crowsfoot and a pinch of gray ta-29 Ford silicone for reassembly.
personally I think permatex has a comparable product.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
once the turbo is gone the hpop is right there. Remove the IPR sensor to remove the hpop cover to access pump and fitting.

In the kit you get everything you'll need including the new plastic bracket (can you believe it, PLASTIC?) you'll get all gaskets, plastic alignment bolts, and a new branch adapter with jam nut.

You will need a 15/16 crowsfoot and a pinch of gray ta-29 Ford silicone for reassembly.
personally I think permatex has a comparable product.
The plastic bracket is for alignment purposes only - not intended for support.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 AM
teppler
Elder User
preventative measure.
even if / whenb the new style fails you atleast dont wind up with a broken rear cover and a cracked branch tube.

My 2005 has 62,000 trouble free miles except for FICM replacement on warranty. You are saying I should tear it down and replace the STC fitting? Man that is hard to think about tearing into a perfectly running engine to replace something that might not ever give any problems. Not saying it isn't a good idea, is there any statistics on how many STC fittings fail?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic
The plastic bracket is for alignment purposes only - not intended for support.
that's the only bracket supplied in the kit, a three hole black plastic bracket.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Ed and Tousley Ford are two good places to buy parts!

and one of us even sponsors this forum.....

hint hint!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
I get it.

When I saw the alignment tool, I was under the impression this was an additional support bracket added to the new fitting.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
that's the only bracket supplied in the kit, a three hole black plastic bracket.
Right - with the new "one-piece" fitting, you do not need a bracket.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by partsguyed.com
and one of us even sponsors this forum.....

hint hint!

That's why I ordered from you!!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
the last or previous tsb update for this "fix"threw me off. (The one that had the bracket installed.) I though this one was just a better bracket until I saw it's plastic.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
That's why I ordered from you!!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
semperstrokin
Senior User
STC Fitting

Originally Posted by teppler
preventative measure.
even if / whenb the new style fails you atleast dont wind up with a broken rear cover and a cracked branch tube.

My 2005 has 62,000 trouble free miles except for FICM replacement on warranty. You are saying I should tear it down and replace the STC fitting? Man that is hard to think about tearing into a perfectly running engine to replace something that might not ever give any problems. Not saying it isn't a good idea, is there any statistics on how many STC fittings fail?
Teppler im in the same boat, no problems running good except for the failed RMS replacement. I would hate to try to fix something that isnt broken. Would also like to know the stats on how many (05-06) failures since I am out of warranty.

2005 F250 XLT 6.0L

Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by teppler
preventative measure.

I have no idea on amount the have gone out. I am sure cheezit might have a guess as to what he has seen. I have roughly the same truck and mile and blew my second EGR cooler and decided to do it all. I have my engine out and everything is being rebuilt and cleaned. While I was typing it just got a call for the place I dropped of my heads Test out ok buta couple of suspect valves and seats so doing seals and valve grind as well as surfacing on them now also. I guess once you jump in make sure your boots are pulled up so you dont stress as to the cost and what it entales. You will spend far more then you planned and to me it will be well worth it. I will practically have a new engine when done.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but what is the STC fitting and why are you guys so eager to change it?

Thanks for the help

Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by joe blow
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but what is the STC fitting and why are you guys so eager to change it?

Thanks for the help
Snap to connect fitting I believe is it. It is part of the HPOP. I think it causes hot hard starts if is starts to separte. I am sure if I am worng someone much smarter then me will correct this.

Quick Reply: stc fitting installed on a pump.