1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Help getting rid of air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:47 PM
shalaris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

'99 EB 5.4 with air suspension. I have sunk close to $1500 in repairs to the air suspension over the past year. A year ago, the compressor went. I had the dealership replace it (for $700 of course) and still had problems (Check suspension light kept coming on). Went back and forth to them 4 times to fix it and finally adjust the ride height which in my opinion is still riding high in front. The delaership says it has been adjusted to Ford specs. But pulling up next to another EB of the same year, you can see a noticeable difference. Then 6 months ago, came outside one morning and the whole rear end had dropped. It looked like a low-rider. Another 700 or so dollars and I got a couple of new bags for the rear. Well, my check suspension light keeps coming on again and I know another trip to the dealer is gonna cost me another $700 or so.

So I was wondering, has anyone ever removed their air suspension and installed a conventional set of shocks and springs ? My ride has gotten very bad now and it is starting to take its toll on the interior (rattles). I just can't see sinking more money in to a lost cause so the only option I see is going with regular shocks and springs. Does anyone know if its a straight conversion from air suspension to regular ? I wouldn't even mind dropping an inch or two if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited by shalaris; 02-10-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:22 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Shalaris-

My brother and I both have 99 Expys, but he's got the standard suspension, I've got air. I'd like to switch to the ordinary suspension - the airride is kinda harsh and the front air shocks are making "moaning" noises when I go over bumps. Ford replacements are $125 each. I'd rather just convert it to ordinary suspension. I'm going to check out my brother's truck, and compare it to mine. Hopefully, I'll be able to convert mine over to normal suspension. I'm going to document every step - I'll make sure it's posted in the "how-to" section on FTE. My theory? I suspect that it won't be too much trouble - hopefully just a bunch of wrench turning. I'll let you know.

XXL

Old 02-11-2003, 04:43 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Got some more info - this comes from my Haynes manual - ...the 4 wheel system uses componenets similar to (but not necessarily interchangeable with) the rear-only system, as well as a pair of air shocks up front. It also uses two height sensors, a steering sensor and several other sensors of the transfer case and elsewhere on the vehicle to monitor driver and road inputs. The control module in this system is also used on the rear-only system. Until I scope out my brother's truck, I can't be sure, but I think it may just be a matter of replacing the front air shocks with ordinary shocks, and then getting some rear springs from a junkyard or dealer. Then you can unplug the compressor which will give the sensors nowhere to report to. I'll let you know if I dig up anything else.

XXL

Old 02-12-2003, 11:16 AM
shalaris
New User

Hey XXL,

I really appreciate the help. I have had it with this air suspension. I work construction in NYC and the potholes from the harsh winter are really taking their toll on the truck during my 25 mile daily commute. I feel like I'm riding on bricks. I do love the truck, and other than that, she's running great. 110,000 miles and repair of the front wiper control, everything else is perfect.

Thanks in advance,

Al