Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
Will a C6 bolt up to a 302?

Does anyone know if a C6 that was removed from a 460 will bolt to a 302? The 302 currently has an AOD attached...

1949 F-1
Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
These are rare but afew 302 Ford vans did have C6`s.
98 Ranger XLT S/cab
65/67 Mustang Fastbacks
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Posting Guru

tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.
It wont. In FORD transmissions you have big block and small block bellhousings. IF the C6 came from a 460 it will not bolt up to a 302 unless you have something rare that I am not aware of
Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacson View Post
It wont. In FORD transmissions you have big block and small block bellhousings. IF the C6 came from a 460 it will not bolt up to a 302 unless you have something rare that I am not aware of
Okay, I was hoping the AOD had the same pattern as a big block bell housing and that it might bolt up. I assume then that only a C4 or FMX will bolt on to my 302 in place of the AOD...

1949 F-1
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior User

joedellcarter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have heard of a few small blocks bolted up to a C6...not sure what they did to acheive that, but either way...you'd get a ton of parasitic loss by bolting that combination together.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedellcarter View Post
I have heard of a few small blocks bolted up to a C6...not sure what they did to acheive that, but either way...you'd get a ton of parasitic loss by bolting that combination together.
Yeah, I was aware of that but was willing to forgo the loss of power. The C6 was a heck of a deal....completely rebuilt for 300 bucks!

1949 F-1
Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
Okay, I was hoping the AOD had the same pattern as a big block bell housing and that it might bolt up.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The bolt pattern you're trying to match is on the back of the block, not the transmission, and with the right combination of parts, the AOD will work behind small or big block engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
I assume then that only a C4 or FMX will bolt on to my 302 in place of the AOD...
AOD's have a detachable bellhousing where the C-6 case is all one piece, so therefore, if you want to put a C-6 behind a small block, you need a small block C-6. They are out there, and tend to go for quite a bit of money because people seem to think they need one.

Why would you not want to use the AOD? What do you hope to gain by being rid of the overdrive? Most folks these days think having OD is a plus.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
a smallblock C6 will bolt up to the 302 as will a C4..

the big block C6 of course will not.. always wanted and AOD for the 460 instead of having to go all the way to the E40D

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Posting Guru

tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Okay, I was hoping the AOD had the same pattern as a big block bell housing and that it might bolt up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The bolt pattern you're trying to match is on the back of the block, not the transmission, and with the right combination of parts, the AOD will work behind small or big block engines.

Quote:
I assume then that only a C4 or FMX will bolt on to my 302 in place of the AOD...

AOD's have a detachable bellhousing where the C-6 case is all one piece, so therefore, if you want to put a C-6 behind a small block, you need a small block C-6. They are out there, and tend to go for quite a bit of money because people seem to think they need one.

Why would you not want to use the AOD? What do you hope to gain by being rid of the overdrive? Most folks these days think having OD is a plus.

52 Merc
Just curious in what years and vehicles was the AOD with a detachable bellhousing available? I remember the FMX having a detachable one which is what the AOD was partially derived from. That detachable bellhousing version of the AOD sounds interesting...
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
Aftermarket AOD will have a 460 bolt pattern bellhousing....not cheap!

C6 with small bolt pattern can be found, but usually in 4x4 tail housing form. Can switch the tail housing and tailshaft to 2wd, though. (I have a 4x4 version behind my 300 6 in my '79 Bronco)

C6 is a one piece case, as is the AOD.

C4 will have a removeable bell housing and are usually in the small block bolt pattern, though some big block (460) bolt pattern bells can be found.

If you are having trouble adjusting the AOD, or it's already toast, and you must go into "rebuild mode", then I would still use the AOD for a small block engine. Dollar for dollar, it's going to net you the best return in the end. My 2 cents.
The rest are just average.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by havi View Post
Aftermarket AOD will have a 460 bolt pattern bellhousing....not cheap!

never seen one listed anywhere.. I've seen adapter plates,
like $700... actually 795 now
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Elder User

312 is starting off with a positive reputation.
the AOD is one piece.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
never seen one listed anywhere.. I've seen adapter plates,
like $700... actually 795 now
Transmission Adapter Pricing

Sam
Yes adapter plates....
I was thinking of the Lentech AOD, but they use a JW Ultrabell, after the original bell is cut off the trans.

Dynamic Racing Transmissions, LLC - Torque Converter Techniques can build the Lentech strip terminator....again not cheap, lol. Not sure if this site is still working, but a fella over on the fox tbird forum I frequent had one for sale last year.
The rest are just average.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Freshman User

olebob4950 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Small Block C6

I have a c6 behind a 351 w 1977 van.
Bob
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacson View Post
Quote:

Perhaps I didn't say it as well as I could have but what I was asking is if the AOD fits the block then would the C6. The AOD I have is questionable as to condition and did not want to install it and then have to pull it back out. It also does NOT have a detachable bell housing. It is a one piece case. It wasn't so much the idea of getting rid of the overdrive as putting in a transmission that I know is good the first time and not having to do it over. I'll also be running a 3:08 rear gear which is a bit tall for an AOD. I ran a 3:00 gear with a 700-R4 in a previous project and it didn't shift into OD until about 55 MPH. I can live with that, however, so if the AOD is good I'll be happy with it.

1949 F-1
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1973, 300, 302, bell, blocks, bolt, bronco, c6, early, engines, ford, housing, install, newer, put, sbf, small, transmission