1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Will a C6 bolt up to a 302?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will a C6 bolt up to a 302?

Does anyone know if a C6 that was removed from a 460 will bolt to a 302? The 302 currently has an AOD attached...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
These are rare but afew 302 Ford vans did have C6`s.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
It wont. In FORD transmissions you have big block and small block bellhousings. IF the C6 came from a 460 it will not bolt up to a 302 unless you have something rare that I am not aware of

Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tacson
It wont. In FORD transmissions you have big block and small block bellhousings. IF the C6 came from a 460 it will not bolt up to a 302 unless you have something rare that I am not aware of
Okay, I was hoping the AOD had the same pattern as a big block bell housing and that it might bolt up. I assume then that only a C4 or FMX will bolt on to my 302 in place of the AOD...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
joedellcarter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard of a few small blocks bolted up to a C6...not sure what they did to acheive that, but either way...you'd get a ton of parasitic loss by bolting that combination together.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:48 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by joedellcarter
I have heard of a few small blocks bolted up to a C6...not sure what they did to acheive that, but either way...you'd get a ton of parasitic loss by bolting that combination together.
Yeah, I was aware of that but was willing to forgo the loss of power. The C6 was a heck of a deal....completely rebuilt for 300 bucks!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Okay, I was hoping the AOD had the same pattern as a big block bell housing and that it might bolt up.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The bolt pattern you're trying to match is on the back of the block, not the transmission, and with the right combination of parts, the AOD will work behind small or big block engines.

I assume then that only a C4 or FMX will bolt on to my 302 in place of the AOD...
AOD's have a detachable bellhousing where the C-6 case is all one piece, so therefore, if you want to put a C-6 behind a small block, you need a small block C-6. They are out there, and tend to go for quite a bit of money because people seem to think they need one.

Why would you not want to use the AOD? What do you hope to gain by being rid of the overdrive? Most folks these days think having OD is a plus.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a smallblock C6 will bolt up to the 302 as will a C4..

the big block C6 of course will not.. always wanted and AOD for the 460 instead of having to go all the way to the E40D

Sam

Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I was hoping the AOD had the same pattern as a big block bell housing and that it might bolt up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The bolt pattern you're trying to match is on the back of the block, not the transmission, and with the right combination of parts, the AOD will work behind small or big block engines.

Quote:
I assume then that only a C4 or FMX will bolt on to my 302 in place of the AOD...

AOD's have a detachable bellhousing where the C-6 case is all one piece, so therefore, if you want to put a C-6 behind a small block, you need a small block C-6. They are out there, and tend to go for quite a bit of money because people seem to think they need one.

Why would you not want to use the AOD? What do you hope to gain by being rid of the overdrive? Most folks these days think having OD is a plus.

52 Merc
Just curious in what years and vehicles was the AOD with a detachable bellhousing available? I remember the FMX having a detachable one which is what the AOD was partially derived from. That detachable bellhousing version of the AOD sounds interesting...

Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Aftermarket AOD will have a 460 bolt pattern bellhousing....not cheap!

C6 with small bolt pattern can be found, but usually in 4x4 tail housing form. Can switch the tail housing and tailshaft to 2wd, though. (I have a 4x4 version behind my 300 6 in my '79 Bronco)

C6 is a one piece case, as is the AOD.

C4 will have a removeable bell housing and are usually in the small block bolt pattern, though some big block (460) bolt pattern bells can be found.

If you are having trouble adjusting the AOD, or it's already toast, and you must go into "rebuild mode", then I would still use the AOD for a small block engine. Dollar for dollar, it's going to net you the best return in the end. My 2 cents.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
Aftermarket AOD will have a 460 bolt pattern bellhousing....not cheap!

never seen one listed anywhere.. I've seen adapter plates,
like $700... actually 795 now
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm

Sam

Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the AOD is one piece.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
never seen one listed anywhere.. I've seen adapter plates,
like $700... actually 795 now
Transmission Adapter Pricing

Sam
Yes adapter plates....
I was thinking of the Lentech AOD, but they use a JW Ultrabell, after the original bell is cut off the trans.

Dynamic Racing Transmissions, LLC - Torque Converter Techniques can build the Lentech strip terminator....again not cheap, lol. Not sure if this site is still working, but a fella over on the fox tbird forum I frequent had one for sale last year.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM
olebob4950
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Block C6

I have a c6 behind a 351 w 1977 van.
Bob

Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tacson
Quote:

Perhaps I didn't say it as well as I could have but what I was asking is if the AOD fits the block then would the C6. The AOD I have is questionable as to condition and did not want to install it and then have to pull it back out. It also does NOT have a detachable bell housing. It is a one piece case. It wasn't so much the idea of getting rid of the overdrive as putting in a transmission that I know is good the first time and not having to do it over. I'll also be running a 3:08 rear gear which is a bit tall for an AOD. I ran a 3:00 gear with a 700-R4 in a previous project and it didn't shift into OD until about 55 MPH. I can live with that, however, so if the AOD is good I'll be happy with it.

Quick Reply: Will a C6 bolt up to a 302?