Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM
New User

mattfarrer is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 F350 Powerstroke 6.0 Fluid Change

I use the forum occasionally for tips and tricks on my truck and have decided to start doing all my own maintenance on the truck myself as not only a hobby but to do a quality job, save a little money and put in the property fluid. I live in Oregon and use the truck mostly to tow about 10K. The truck only has 42,000 miles on it but the tranny fluid has never been changed.
I have searched the forums and found lots of good comments about oil and filter types but I was hoping someone could give me the following:
Oil Change
What type of filter to use?
What type of oil to use?
Capacity? (This is 15qt I think)
Process? Do I pull the filter first in the engine compartment then drain?
Tranny Change
What type of filter to use and part number if possible?
What type of oil to use?
Capacity?
Process? Where is this filter located, what is the process to change the oil.
Sorry I know these answers are all over but I am struggling most with the tranny stuff, I need a "grocery list" so I can get all the filters and fluid to start. Your response is much appreciated!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Posting Guru

TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the forum!
As far as oil, you will need to buy 15q (3 five quart gallons) of Motorcraft diesel oil (CJ-4 approved). Start by changing the filter first, then drain the oil, replace the plug and refill. The plug will be a 19mm/ 3/4" socket. Replace the filter with a Motorcraft filter only. I believe the part number is FL2015- going by memory though, I could be wrong. I will let you know in a few, I am about to change my oil today. Here is a tech article that I wrote that should help you out.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...6-0l-6-4l.html

As far as the tranny filter, I just finished doing this as well. You will need to start by removing the drain plug on the tranny pan and allow it to drain. Then, remove the tranny pan by removing the 20 bolts that hold it to the transmission. Be prepared to get oily, there will be some left in there. You will see the black plastic horn shaped filter. Pull it straight down to remove. Make sure that the orange o-ring is removed with the filter, if not then look up into the valve body and you will see the o-ring. Remove it. Install the new o-ring onto the new filter and press the filter into place until it bottoms out. Apply a little RTV and the gasket to the pan and install. Torque to specs using a cross torque pattern. Then working under the hood, remove the dipstick for the transmission (yellow handled) and fill the transmission with around 7 or 8 quarts of Mercon SP fluid. ONLY use the Mercon SP with the 5R110W transmission! It is a little hard to find, and you will probably have to get it from your Ford dealership. Start the truck and check for leaks. Then engage the truck into drive and take it on a test drive. Once at operating temperature, check the fluid level again and add more fluid as necessary. 8 quarts should do it if you are only draining the pan and not the torque converter.

Good luck!

"Seat heaters are God's way of saying 'No matter how bad your day may be, it could always be worse. You could have all this happen to you and your bum not be pleasantly toasted.'"
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Posting Guru

TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
Sorry I tossed the box away for the tranny pan filter and gasket, but your local parts store will have that info if you just tell them what tranny you have. The 6.0L comes with a 5R110W, not the 4R100W. They might show two of them, one for $10 and one for $20ish. It is the more expensive one (of course). BTW, if you have not done so in a while, I would recommend draining the HCFM while you were under the truck, or changing the fuel filters if you did not do it the last time the oil was changed. The fuel filters on a 6.oh are supposed to be changed every other oil change.

"Seat heaters are God's way of saying 'No matter how bad your day may be, it could always be worse. You could have all this happen to you and your bum not be pleasantly toasted.'"
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Post Fiend

msgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to behold
For the tranny fluid change, I use a shop because they have a fluid heater that gets the fluid up to temp (the tranny has a thermostat) so you get a good drain.

On your oil filter, I stick with either Motorcraft or Fram only...be careful of other brands!!!

Joe

We live in the Land Of The Free...BECAUSE of the Brave! My humble thanks to all Veterans, past and present
Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
New User

I thought on the Tranny the filter was up in the front of the cab externally mounted and there wasn't a need to drop the pan.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfarrer View Post
I thought on the Tranny the filter was up in the front of the cab externally mounted and there wasn't a need to drop the pan.
You are correct. There is a filter in the pan, but if it has enough debris in it that it needs changing, the transmission also needs changing.

The filter that you need to change every 30,000 miles is on the passenger's side of the truck under the radiator.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
New User

Hubbardlaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
The filter that you need to change every 30,000 miles is on the passenger's side of the truck under the radiator.[/quote]

any tips on changing that one?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
New User

Thats what I am looking for, I am over on changing that filter as my truck as 42K on it. Does anyone know the part number on that filter and step by step on changing it, do I drain the tranny pan first then change out the filter. Will this still take about 8qts of fluid. I figured next time I will drop the pan and change all the filters.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Postmaster

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Your dealer will have that filter, not sure what part# is. It actually looks like a roll of TP. I never buy aftermarket for any of my vehicles. I usually start draining the pan then go to the front of the truck and I use an impact on low with a 22mm socket to remove its housing. Do not install it with an impact...
'05 F350 6.0 SOLD Problem Free..
Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
New User

Alright so I found my filter at the local parts store, looks like a roll of TP for sure. However they dont have the fluid and in looking around this is only something I can get from my Ford Dealer that is 45 minutes from here and wanting to charge me almost $6.00 a quart. Any suggestions where else I may be able to get this fluid?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Elder User

rickf92592 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lucas Oil Multi-Vehicle ATF (new stuff, the previous wasn't) is cross compatible with both SP (no longer made) and LV. It's on the peel-away label and we have been running it in our chase trucks (and Trophy Truck) for some time now.
Lucas Oil Multi-Vehicle ATF : Lucas Oil
I'm sure someone will flame away but we have tens of thousands of miles on various 5R110W's with great results.

BTW, we drain the pan contents every 10,000 miles rather than do a flush so not to introduce a 'solvent' scenario into a worn transmission.
External filter every 20,000 miles, internal never if the transmission has been maintained as previously stated.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2006, 5r110w, 60, capacities, capacity, change, converter, drain, f350, fluid, ford, oil, plug, powerstroke, refill, tourqe, transmission