1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Running boards painted

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Running boards painted

Today I went ahead and painted the running boards with rattle can box liner; on raised ribs and front running edge. Hopefully it will stand up to the abuse of entry into the truck.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks slick!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
TomPorter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tip49
rattle can box liner
So that's like the textured bedliner stuff?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomPorter
So that's like the textured bedliner stuff?
I believe thats what tip49 used, at least it looks like it from the pictures...

Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Textured bed liner paint

Yep; it was rattle can repair for bed liner. It hides some of the imperfections of my body work, and is supposed to be very durable. If it degrades over time I'l likely just keep hitting it with more product.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by tip49
Yep; it was rattle can repair for bed liner. It hides some of the imperfections of my body work, and is supposed to be very durable. If it degrades over time I'l likely just keep hitting it with more product.
I'm hoping that its durable as well. I'm doing my entire chassis with the roll on bed liner. I figure it should work abit better than the undercoating...

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What brand did you use? Duplicolor? How did you prep"

Tardster, what brand are you considering? Herculiner?

I may be able to actually offer some experience on this subject. I Herculinered my entire 1974 suburban once. I Duplicolored my Cummins truck's rocker panels last year, sprayed/rolled several truck beds and i've done various other smaller projects with different brands of bedliner.

The boards look good by the way, I'm planning on doing the same thing to mine as wel.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
What brand did you use? Duplicolor? How did you prep"

Tardster, what brand are you considering? Herculiner?

I may be able to actually offer some experience on this subject. I Herculinered my entire 1974 suburban once. I Duplicolored my Cummins truck's rocker panels last year, sprayed/rolled several truck beds and i've done various other smaller projects with different brands of bedliner.

The boards look good by the way, I'm planning on doing the same thing to mine as wel.
I'm using the rustoleum brand roll on bed liner from walmart. A gallon of it was 49 bucks and so far it seems to be holding up pretty good. I used it on the inner fenders and dropped one of the other and it didn't scratch it. Now for the actual fenders I will use the spray on undercoating on the inside of those but I wanted something a little stronger for the frame. The weather here in Illinois isn't the greatest so to make sure its lasts a long time.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
I'm using the rustoleum brand roll on bed liner from walmart. A gallon of it was 49 bucks and so far it seems to be holding up pretty good. I used it on the inner fenders and dropped one of the other and it didn't scratch it. Now for the actual fenders I will use the spray on undercoating on the inside of those but I wanted something a little stronger for the frame. The weather here in Illinois isn't the greatest so to make sure its lasts a long time.
Hmmn, I haven't used the Rustoleum brand I guess. I used to be able to get the Duplicolor spray on at Wally world, but most of them switched to Plasticote and IMO that stuff is junk. I mostly use the Duplicolor now, Oreilly's always seems to have it. I'm thinking about using it for the underside of the fenders, but good undercoating might be an option too. Are you using 3M undercoating from Walmart as well?

I don't envy you over there in IL, my wife is from WI and good grief, every car older than 5yrs is a rust bucket over there. I hate road salt!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
EZ Liner

The product I used is Canadian made; Dominion Sure seal ?? EZ Liner can't speak to it's quality as of yet.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Herculiner was what used to be offered at our Canadian Tire store but have switched to EZliner. Both products are manufactured by Dominion Sure Seal. I used the Ezliner on the underside of my panel, it looks as though it will be a very durable product and is easy to spray with a shutz gun. It will be awhile yet before I find just how durable it will be though.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
tardster
Elder User
I had thought about using the bed liner on the inside of the fenders myself and I might but it all depends on how much I have leftover, before I start putting her back together I plan on putting 1 more coat on just to make sure I haven't missed any spots. The rustoleum brand I have can either be rolled on or sprayed on I just haven't tried spraying it yet, I was going to try that once I got the bed off and see how big of a differance there between spraying and rolling it on.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM
49 Ford F-1
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look great man

Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Update to running boards

I did final bolt up of running boards to front fenders, and running board supports. Looks pretty good. Will leave rear fenders off until I final paint them but a little more progress.

Tom