Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 AM
New User

MHWASH is starting off with a positive reputation.
6 speed manual?

I'm looking at buying my first Ford and first diesel. I'm currently looking at a '10 with a 6 speed manual and I curious if it is as reliable as the auto?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Elder User

66stang351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never thought I ever hear someone ask if a manual transmission is as reliable as an auto...of course I guess it is only as reliable as the control system right.
Mods: Billet grille/side vents, tailgate badging removed, Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/Bluetooth XM IPOD backup camera, B&W hitch w/trailer plug-in in bed, LineX, Access Tonneau, Smoked tail lights mirror signals cab lights and third brake light, train whistle, GearVendor, AFE CAT/DPF Delete pipe, Spartan tuned
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM
New User

One would assume that the manual would be as reliable or more so than the auto, but it might not always be the case. The Duramax only comes with the auto, and I believe the new PSD only comes with the auto. I just thought there might be a reason.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
low take rate on the manual is the most citied reason for its retirement.

With the advanced features of the new torqueshift for 2011 there really is no need for it either.

Having a hand shaker is still a nice thing to have but economically it is not a sound business decision for Ford.

Now I have not really hard of complaints about the durability in the 08-10 models, so it you see one out there and wish to buy it I think you will be fine.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior User

952X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wish I had a 6 speed in my truck, that's the only thing I don't like about my truck.... I had a hand shaker in my old 7.3 truck and I sure miss that and the engine brake when towing in the mountains.. The tow mode deal is....ok......but I miss my gear grabber.....
2010 Hitchhiker 5th wheel 37 feet. Tips the scales at about 1500#
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Freshman User

stevensm is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 08 F-350 6.4L CC SB 4X4 w/ 6-spd and could not be more pleased with the truck overall including the manual transmission. The best truck I have ever owned, unbelievable towing peformance, shifts well and the manuals get better mileage when compared to autos. They are slower getting through the gears than the autos which might be the only negative.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 AM
New User

Well we still have not struck a deal. I'm currently looking at two 2010 CC 6.4s. 1 350 and 1 250, both XLs the 350 has the 6 speed with a few upgrades, the negitive is it has a bench seat. The 250 is all viynl and manual windows and locks, with the 40/20/40 seat. The negative is it has no brake controller, or running boards, or tailgate step. I'm hoping a few more rebates come along, because I can't/wont spend what they want.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
get the one with the controller and everything. You can always swap seats later.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior User

whporwil is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe the auto is rated to tow a lot more than the manual, if you plan to tow. All manuals come with a bench seat because the shift lever will interfer with the console and the manual will not have the cup holders the auto has for the same reason. On the other hand in my state it's a lot cheaper to license a 350 than a 250, you might want to check that and insurance.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
08, 2008, 2011, 64, 6speed, auto, f250, f350, ford, manual, models, speed, towing, transmission, trucks