6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Edge Insight CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Insight CTS?

Going to be back home soon and am looking into something to monitor the vitals of my truck more closely than the stock guages. I am considering the Edge Insight CTS. I was origionally looking into the Banks iQ, but it does not look like they are going to make that a stand alone unit (no tune) any time soon.

For those of you who have the Insight CTS do you like it? I want to be able to monitor EGT's, transmission temp, engine oil temp, and coolant temp. I know it uses the OBDII port, will I be able to monitor all of these things with the CTS?

Another concern I had was mounting it, I know they have the "dash pod", but want to keep the interior of the truck clean looking (nothing tackie). Do they offer any other type of mounting? Maybe a GPS style, suction cup to the windshield, that way I can remove it and take it out of view if need be.

Thanks!

Kyle...

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Tater Mash
Junior User
Edge Insight

I have the Edge Insight in my truck. I love it. It will monitor all the vitals you mentioned plus a bunch more. It will flash different colors at you when any peramiters that you set are reached or exceded. I also have the dash pod that goes over the vent on the driver side. I was concerned with the match of the color and thought I might have to paint it to match. Once I put it in the truck though, it matches pretty dang close without having to paint. In my opinion, it is a very nice unit that I am sure you will love if you purchase it. Also with the 08-10 trucks, you dont need to buy the thermocouple cable for EGT. It monitors it from the OBDII port. Saves about $100 not having to purchase that piece.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I have the insight CTS, I am pleased with it, you can see pictures in my profile of the installed unit. I went with the CTS so I could add on the rear bumper camera, I am very pleased with that as well.

Leon

Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Thank you for the replies. Let me ask this, do you know if they offer the dash pod in different colors?? Black?? I can only seem to find the tan color.

Leon, thanks for the pics! The install looks very nice!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Hasnt there been a problem with the Edge insight with 2009 & 2010 trucks? I read that it had to be turned on every time the truck is turned off and on because the insight would turn off when the truck is turned off.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I have an 08 but it seems to work the right way for me, turns on when the key is turned on and shuts off when I shut it off. I wouldn't want it to stay on after I take the key out.

Leon

Old 07-15-2010, 02:25 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by Front Runner
Hasnt there been a problem with the Edge insight with 2009 & 2010 trucks? I read that it had to be turned on every time the truck is turned off and on because the insight would turn off when the truck is turned off.
I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean it has to be manually turned on and off? If so that wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me.

Anyone know if they sell the dash pods to match a black interior? Or only the tan ones???

Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
On 09 & 10 models I've read that you have to unplug the unit every time the truck is shut off. If you start the truck w/o unplugging the edge, the unit will not work.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Ahh Got ya.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
I'm also interested in the insight but it appears that edge is not interested in fixing that issue from what I've read.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Well I think I am going to pull the trigger on it. I won't be home for about 2 weeks though, so I'll update the thread after I get it and let you know if I have that problem or not.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Okay. Keep us informed. Also post pics!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Insight CTS is ordered and already sitting at the house waiting on me to arrive home in about a week. How I like it and pics coming soon to a thread near you!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Well I made it back home finally!

I hooked up the Insight CTS yesterday, and got to use it a bit today during some errands I had to run.

So far it has been great! It starts up on it's own when I turn the truck on and shuts off by itself when I turn the truck off. It was very easy to set up what parameters I wanted it to display, and set up alerts. I will post pictures as soon as I have the opportunity to take some today.

So some questions.

What is too hot for EGT's? Engine oil temp? Engine coolant temp? transmission temp?

Right now I have the alerts set up for 1350 for EGT's, 220 for both oil temp, and coolant temp and 225 for transmission temp. Are those good settings?

So far during my city driving and about 5 miles of highway I am running at about 195-200 for oil temp and coolant temp, and have struggled to get the tranny temp much about 170. Again, that was mostly city driving and empty. Also about 85 degrees outside this morning.

Edit: I did notice that it did not seem to like the remote start. It would come on, but once I went from truck running no key in the ignition to key in the ignition in the "on" position the CTS would freeze up.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I have the remote start on my truck as well, no problems with freezing on mine. If it makes a difference I have the factory remote start on mine.

Leon

Quick Reply: Edge Insight CTS?