1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Another deconstruction

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 AM
oldebrush
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Walston.

Obviously, an affectionate term, indeed. I like these trucks better too. There are way too many Fat Fendered models to suit me. I'll stay preferring the 57 to 60 models, (and mostly my 57) to the others. My first was a 58 back in 1968, but I started driving way back in 1957, so. I am sure this will be the last truck I will ever own. It may be the last and only 57 living on the island of Oahu too. I see lots of 58-60 trucks though.

Aloha, Tony

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Dustin, the parts look amazing. Your raising the level of restoration I had planned even higher. Great job, if I can be of help let me know. -Andrew

Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 AM
transam525
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr4speedford
Dustin, the parts look amazing. Your raising the level of restoration I had planned even higher. Great job, if I can be of help let me know. -Andrew
Thanks for the compliment. I sent you a few e-mails some time ago, however I'm not sure if they were received. If you have any additional Ford archive pictures, I would be highly interested. I'm contemplating a trip to Michigan when I return in search of assembly/production/etc. photos. Anything you have picturing the chassis and/or engine/transmission assembly would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a couple open questions you might be able to confirm. During the restoration, I found black chassis paint on the original shock absorber bushing seats/cup edges. It appears the shocks were installed prior to the second chassis paint, confirm? Additionally, after scrupulously studying the archive photo you sent, it appears the brake hoses were installed before the second chassis paint, confirm? Overall, it appears the springs, steering linkage gear, brake components, exhaust hanger, emergency brake cables and components, brake lines, shocks and components, and fully assembled axle were installed before the second frame paint. The frame-mounted taillight wire harness and clips, main fuel line and hoses, engine mounts, and axle bumpers were installed after the chassis received a second chassis paint.

Any confirmation or documentation of the above would also be greatly appreciated. I hope your restoration is progressing well.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
I'll have to do some digging for you, I only have two underside pics, both of which you have seen I think. I do believe everything you have listed was painted on the second coat, but I'll see if I can post some assembly line photo's(truck and car) to help you make your decision.

I'm thinking the second coat was to cover things like the leaf springs and steering components and they didn't mask off anything so things like the hoses and brake cables got painted, but I'm sure it wasn't perfect coverage. Give me a few days to get you pictures.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
transam525
Senior User
Andrew, did you have any luck locating the photos you mentioned? I'm going to pay the hourly fee to the Benson Ford Research Center to located and photocopy as many 1960 truck production line and prototype photos as possible for reference. It will be several weeks until the request is processed, but I'll definitely share what I receive if you're interested.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
F100 UGLY
Junior User
This is a great thread! I just found this thread and I read the entire thing. Keep up the good work and keep the updated coming, as soon as you get back.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Transam525; How is the build coming. It has been a couple months, I need a fix ERRR some pic's. for a little inspiration.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM
transam525
Senior User
Progress on the truck has been paused since October. I've been deployed to Afghanistan, but have been locating and purchasing parts in the meantime thanks to NumberDummy's help. Progress will resume in May upon my return. Once the u-bolts, steering center link, and a few bolt heads are powdercoated, the entire front suspension and steering system is ready for assembly. Work on the rear suspension and axle will start in June, with the entire chassis scheduled for completion around late fall. Needless to say, pictures will follow.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Stay safe over there, Dustin.Again, thanks for your service.

Steve

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Transam; Good to hear you are making progress, stock piling parts. As Steve has said thank you for your service!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by transam525
Unfortunately no. Overdrive was an option for the 1960 trucks. I thought about converting to an overdrive transmission, but I'm still debating. The transmission is original to the truck, and unless it can be converted to overdrive, I really don't want to swap it. The truck has spent the last eight years running at 3000 rpm on the highway daily, so I'm sort of adapted to it by now.

The original O/D's are out there, as I found one on ebay a few years ago when i had the funds.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
why does this thread make me feel like white trash? but seriously that is one AMAZING build. Maybe I'll get a putty knife and scrape the grease off my 'new' tranny before I install it, just so I can feel a little better about myself. Nah.... I love ALL these fridge trucks......

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by transam525
Progress on the truck has been paused since October. I've been deployed to Afghanistan, but have been locating and purchasing parts in the meantime thanks to NumberDummy's help. Progress will resume in May upon my return. Once the u-bolts, steering center link, and a few bolt heads are powdercoated, the entire front suspension and steering system is ready for assembly. Work on the rear suspension and axle will start in June, with the entire chassis scheduled for completion around late fall. Needless to say, pictures will follow.
Thanks for the update, Stay Safe and Thank you for your service!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
transam525
Senior User
I was sorting through my photos and came across one I had not posted. This photo marks the most recent of the bunch. More pictures to follow upon my return.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Looking forward to more progress pictures! Hopefully you have a pile of parts and work to do when you return and settle back in to home life. Stay safe and thanks for what you do.

Quick Reply: Another deconstruction