Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion rear view camera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought one of those cameras that is built into the license plate frame. It costs a bit more, but it requires nothing to integrate and the camera angle is adjustable. It works in severe low light. Cost me about $100 on Amazon. There's also a multi-angle camera that Kenwood makes. Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXv0w...eature=related

Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black and Pink wire behind Pass Kick Panel?

Originally Posted by 2000Exc
Just finished installing a Peak wireless camera from Advance Auto 80.00
Here is what I know:
It would have been easier to start at the rear and actually run wire from backup lights to the front to power the monitor. That is hindsite so here is what I know:

The reverse wire is behind passenger floor panel and is black and pink ( i found more than one pink and black in there!) Ran that power under carpet to driver side>

Good luck!
Need help,

I been trying to locate the black/pink wire on the pass side. All I see are black/purple. Can you tell me exactly where is the black/pink wire on the pass side?

Thanks,

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VQT
Need help,<br />
<br />
I been trying to locate the black/pink wire on the pass side. All I see are black/purple. Can you tell me exactly where is the black/pink wire on the pass side?<br />
<br />
Thanks,
<br />
<br />
Just a thought ... that sounds like the same color wire that runs the reverse signal to pin 3 on my rear view mirror. Do any of the wires you see on the floor look like that one? I'm just wondering if the black/pink is a little darker in yours so it looks black/purple to you. Just a thought - maybe not a very good one.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AndrewWV

Just a thought ... that sounds like the same color wire that runs the reverse signal to pin 3 on my rear view mirror. Do any of the wires you see on the floor look like that one? I'm just wondering if the black/pink is a little darker in yours so it looks black/purple to you. Just a thought - maybe not a very good one.
It should be the same color according to the wiring diagram from the facotory shop manual, just that I haven't look at the rear view mirror, and the factory manual isn't any good on showing where the wire should be.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
I went through this on my 2001 a few months ago. Everyone says the black/pink wire is on the passengers side, and I found one in the passenger's footwell. Wrong wire. I found the right black/pink wire in the loom running along the inside of the frame rail on the driver's side.

Mark

Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
I went through this on my 2001 a few months ago. Everyone says the black/pink wire is on the passengers side, and I found one in the passenger's footwell. Wrong wire. I found the right black/pink wire in the loom running along the inside of the frame rail on the driver's side.

Mark
That's what I am afraid of, I had all my wiring on the passeger side already. Guess I have to run the hot (red) wire over to the driver side now. Where exactly is the black/pink wire that you found on the driver side that easiest to tap into?

Thanks,

Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Assuming your '04 is wired like my '01, which is a *huge* assumption...

Slide under the driver's side right under the front seat and you'll find a wire loom running along the inside of the frame rail. Work the loom apart, and you'll find exactly one black/pink wire. That wire is energized when the shifter is moved to the reverse position. You should be able to find it in the engine compartment, too, but I never could. The reverse sensor wire was really long on my Kenwood radio, and it easily reached back under the driver's seat, so that's where I tapped into it.

Obviously, test this with a meter before you wire it up permanently, and don't get yourself run over in the process.

Mark

Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Mark,

Let me get this straight, you are talking about the wire loom along the drive side, inside the cap, and not out side underneath the truck, correct.

Yes, I will check for sure it will only energize when it is in reverse before I tap in.

I believed all year up to 2005 the wires are all the same. At least that what I see in reading up on the forum to finding out where is the black/pink wire. My Ex is 04 and I have an 05 Ford Shop Manual.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

No, I'm talking about under the truck. That wire goes to the reverse lights on mine. I'll take a pic tomorrow night if it'll help.

Mark

Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Ouch! Didn't want to go out side the cap to do this. Guess I have to now.

Thanks,

Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tdappleman
I put mine in the rear handle. I had similar requirements - primary use is to hook up the boat which has worked out great. Looking at the back of the truck from a normal height the camera is barely noticeable but this one is looking up at it slightly so it stands out. Here's a couple of pics:

What camea is that? I want to get a camera for mine

Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I have an gentex mirror with 3" screen & license plate camera that works great!Nice & bright & great picture in the perfect place!www.ford-trucks.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19646&pictureid=75988[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 AM
kilaman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
Assuming your '04 is wired like my '01, which is a *huge* assumption...

Slide under the driver's side right under the front seat and you'll find a wire loom running along the inside of the frame rail. Work the loom apart, and you'll find exactly one black/pink wire. That wire is energized when the shifter is moved to the reverse position. You should be able to find it in the engine compartment, too, but I never could. The reverse sensor wire was really long on my Kenwood radio, and it easily reached back under the driver's seat, so that's where I tapped into it.

Obviously, test this with a meter before you wire it up permanently, and don't get yourself run over in the process.

Mark
I have a 2001 also, I found the black and pink wire in a big loom under the steering wheel.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
The cheap, $35 Sam's Club back-up camera that VASheriff got for us (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...up-camera.html) works in almost zero light. I've been very impressed so far.
I use the same one, tied into the reverse light in the passenger compartment, stowed the wireless unit in the compartment, mounted the camera on the upper rear license plate, and the monitor on the driver sunvisor.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Sn0man
New User
I have one that's integrated in the license plate frame. Love it.

Quick Reply: Excursion rear view camera?