2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Rear View Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 AM
express705
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear View Camera

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4.

I would like to add the rear view camera, as seen in later models. Has anyone done this? Details would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael

Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Welcome to the forum! Just use the search function, there are numerous threads about installing a rearview camera.

Here's a start:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-not-oem.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-install.html

Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 AM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having tried the Coastal E Tech route and managing to destroy my factory NAV radio in the process (you have to take it apart on the '07s), I'm going to pursue the monitor-in-the-mirror approach now. I think the company that sells these is called Genntex or something like that... sorry I don't have a link at the moment.

Others have had successs with the Coastal approach, but a few of us noticed the clarity on our NAV screens (and audio too) had diminished by a notch or too with Coastal's stuff in the middle.

Genntex has an auto-dimming rear view mirror with a hidden camera image in it that lights up when you shift into reverse. It's about $339 I think and Coastal's hack-up your radio approach is only $229 or so. However, having to replace my radio for $500 (ebay) plus required programing at the L-M dealership has me wishing I had known about the $339 option up front.

Genntex (or whatever their exact name is) is an OEM supplier to FoMoCo and many others.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
Having tried the Coastal E Tech route and managing to destroy my factory NAV radio in the process (you have to take it apart on the '07s), I'm going to pursue the monitor-in-the-mirror approach now. I think the company that sells these is called Genntex or something like that... sorry I don't have a link at the moment.

Others have had successs with the Coastal approach, but a few of us noticed the clarity on our NAV screens (and audio too) had diminished by a notch or too with Coastal's stuff in the middle.

Genntex has an auto-dimming rear view mirror with a hidden camera image in it that lights up when you shift into reverse. It's about $339 I think and Coastal's hack-up your radio approach is only $229 or so. However, having to replace my radio for $500 (ebay) plus required programing at the L-M dealership has me wishing I had known about the $339 option up front.

Genntex (or whatever their exact name is) is an OEM supplier to FoMoCo and many others.

gpfarrell, out of curiosity did you even consider going with an aftermarket nav unit to get the same result?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It crossed my mind, but we've got 3 kids ages 6 and under. They really enjoy all the functionality of the rear entertainment system. We'll have one kid listening to a CD on the headphones' Channel A and another watching a Disney DVD on Channel B while we're listing to Sirius up front. We often control the DVD player with the touch screen on the factory NAV. And I was very happy with the THX sound in the Navigator. So, I felt that by swapping to something aftermarket, for my purposes, I'd be losing more than I was gaining.

The Coastal solution as described on their website seemed perfect, but reality was much more complicated than the description.

I'll either do a monitor-in-mirror or a stand alone monitor just above the mirror... once I gather up some enthusiasm for the project again.

PS: '01 Carrera Cab? Sweet! We've got an '83 911 Cabriolet... about the polar opposite of the Navigator!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Cabinboy07
Freshman User
@gpfarrell, My condolences to you. Hopefully your expensive lesson will benefit the rest of us. I was considering the lockpick myself, but after reading your thread, I am giving it a second thought. I wanted, however, to go a step further and tie the DVD output to the lockpick so that I could watch movies on the NAV screen. I will still probably do it, but I may wait a while until hopefully they have worked out a few more kinks in the lockpick.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
It crossed my mind, but we've got 3 kids ages 6 and under. They really enjoy all the functionality of the rear entertainment system. We'll have one kid listening to a CD on the headphones' Channel A and another watching a Disney DVD on Channel B while we're listing to Sirius up front. We often control the DVD player with the touch screen on the factory NAV. And I was very happy with the THX sound in the Navigator. So, I felt that by swapping to something aftermarket, for my purposes, I'd be losing more than I was gaining.

The Coastal solution as described on their website seemed perfect, but reality was much more complicated than the description.

I'll either do a monitor-in-mirror or a stand alone monitor just above the mirror... once I gather up some enthusiasm for the project again.

PS: '01 Carrera Cab? Sweet! We've got an '83 911 Cabriolet... about the polar opposite of the Navigator!
Gpfarrell
Yes the cab is very nice, I'm thinking really hard on selling it, because I've been offered a 04 911 turbo cab with x50 and a aerokit. One of my friends took delivery of an R8 and no longer wants the cab. I driven the cab for 40k, but the turbo cab has 12k....lol, I think my wife might get a surprise this weekend...not sure what I'm going to do.