Looking forward to the summer get together

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
F350 Strait
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Looking forward to the summer get together

Howdy All,

While I’ve been check’n out the 73-79 Ford truck forum, the 460 forum & the 6.0 Super Duty forum since 03. I’ve decided that it was time that I joined here to meet the people around my area who have similar interests in trucks & specifically people who like Ford trucks.

My wife & I own 2 Ford trucks, an 06 F350 crew cab; dually; 4 wheel drive & a 79 F350 Super Cab 2 wheel drive that’s my project hot rod. I built the drive train & engine back in 06 to pull our 5th wheel toy hauler. Unfortunately, the bed was crunched 800 miles into a trip we were taking from here to Florida & back. So we bought the 06 to finish the trip. I put pictures of the ‘accident’ in my gallery.

I built my 79 with the idea that we would use it to pull our 5th wheel. But also I’ve always loved hot rods so I did a few things to my truck, stroked the 460 to 545 c.i.’s, dyno’d @ 500 HP so probably 400 @ the rear wheels , bought an Art Carr rollerized C6 then put a Gear Vendors OD behind it. The rear brakes were changed to disks. Added an oil cooler & external trans cooler to help with controlling heat. I have a wonderful wife. Since we got back from the trip, I have been working on the body and fixing little things that were not working to my satisfaction.
I’m looking forward to the summer get together & look forward to putting faces to the names.
Earl

Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the club Earl. I have a similar story on our two Ford trucks. My 74 F250 4x4 was suppose to tow our travel trailer. I was working on freshing up a 460 to put in her to pull up those steep grades over the Sierras. The stock 360 was still chugging along while working on the 460 until one day when I had brake controller problems and lost our brakes on a long down grade while pulling our trailer. After cleaning out our undies at the bottom of the hill, we decided to go look at the new F350s with Tow Command so we hopefully would never experience a brake failure again. We bought a new F350 6.0 liter 4x4, then found that we needed to buy a larger trailer to better suit our new mule on steroids. Now we tow our 5th wheel trailer with our 2005 Super Duty and are very happy with that set up.

I followed up and finished putting the 460 in the old '74 and she now is a great work truck. Some day I hope to get the body done and will probably keep that truck for the rest of my life. Really, I can't imagine ever let her go. Love that old highboy.

Anyway, once again, welcome to Northern Cal Chapter. I hope Karl (chapter leader) works something out for a chapter meet this summer where me and the boss can make it too. We live a ways away but are always looking for an excuse to get out on the road. I too am looking forward to seeing the new faces as well as catching up with long time members of our chapter. It's been a while since we've been able to meet up with our friends on the chapter and there are some new folks since we've been able to make a showing as well. You've joined a club of great folks. You'll enjoy meeting up with everyone.

Happy trails, Tim

Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
F350 Strait
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tim,

We broke our 6.0 in from Arizona to Florida & back to here. Never missed a beat. Our 5th wheel is a 38' toy hauler and I have to say that the 06 pulls it better than my 79.

I'm going say that Karl will come up with something for the summer get together.

Earl

Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea we need to get are but in gear on this get toghter