6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

side effect of disconneting egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheezit
I was running with a blck off plate installed and this is what I found so I cleaned my old valve and back in it went.

Im not sure this effects all years, and all levels of calibration. But I know it will on 06/07 with vxcf9 in them.
I found the same thing with the same flash. Air conditioning would kick out at idle and blow hot air, fan wouldnt come on, or barely come on. FYI
And another thing, the turbo vane sweep wont work on this 05 truck with the egr unplugged either. Even with the Elite tunes. It wont allow the test of the vanes with IDS, and it wont cycle the vanes at idle if the egr is deleted. Strange.

Last edited by matty169; 07-10-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: info
Old 07-10-2010, 02:42 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
My 04 has not done a vane cycle since the EGR valve was removed,stock or tuned.I have only once heard the fan, towing 14k up 20 minutes of 6-9% grade VXAP2Q2 I have no idea the temps of either oil or coolant.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I'd like to also know the affects on the "older" trucks--the 03 and 04 models. My EGR valve is installed, but welded shut, however I have no apparent A/C problems but I NEVER hear my fan come on. I've had it tested via IDS and it's working correctly as is, but still makes me wonder since it's been a while.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
sadly I have no way to find out what if's if I dont have a moded truck to test.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM
kenlippold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not think you will get an “EGR Flow” DTC, with the EGR connected. When I had mine disconnected and got the 2 standard EGR DTC’s immediately but only saw the EGR Flow DTC under heavy load (could have been coincidence). After I connected the EGR ( EGR delete installed) I never received a DTC under ANY load. I am still monitoring.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by kenlippold
I do not think you will get an “EGR Flow” DTC, with the EGR connected. When I had mine disconnected and got the 2 standard EGR DTC’s immediately but only saw the EGR Flow DTC under heavy load (could have been coincidence). After I connected the EGR ( EGR delete installed) I never received a DTC under ANY load. I am still monitoring.

this is true on 03/04 trucks only. unless its a califorina emmisions truck they ot will also get the code for low/no flow.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting thread and being followed and contributed to by the brightest guys in the 6.0 engine field.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by rickatic
Interesting thread and being followed and contributed to by the brightest guys in the 6.0 engine field.
i hope those guys are not better then me because you know what I say
"I may suck at what I do but I have see the compition and they contiune to make me look good"
btw rick hows the new ride doing.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheezit
this is true on 03/04 trucks only. unless its a califorina emmisions truck they ot will also get the code for low/no flow.
This truck is a 2005 and with the egr plugged in but just laying in the valley, I get NO egr codes under load or not. Been driving on the Elite tune for about a 2 days now, and the SCT canned tune before that. I will check with IDS in the A.M. and see if I am getting any codes. According to the SCT I have none, but the IDS often shows things SCT doesnt. Since plugging the EGR in and switching to the ELITE tune, my engine fan comes on if I leave it idle with the AC on, but turns off within a few hundred feet once moving. When I was running the canned SCT tunes I never once had the fan come on. NEVER, I actually thought the fan was broken. I have not seen the wrench light return since switching to the Elite tune either. Just put on 260 miles today and nothing out of the ordinary, other than hearing the engine fan come alive, and you cant hardly miss that noisy bitch.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been wondering about this myself.

So today, because I didn't want to get into a hot truck AGAIN, I left mine running while in the Freightliner for about 45 mins. Ambient temp about 95 degrees.

Tonka was almost ICE cold inside, and the fan was roaring when I left the yard. However, you can't feel the fan pulling air into the grill when it's sitting still. So long as I have cold AC I'm not really going to quibble this.

GHP's Street Race Lite, with EGR functions turned off, but with entire EGR system in place and intact.

-blaine

Old 07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
I have a 2005 with no EGR system. I have the egr valve plugged in and installed in the manifold. The Edge Insight shows no DTCs, but I am in some sort of limp mode, because my boost is limited to 21 lbs. I'm ready to get an SCT so the computer stops looking for egr.

I'm confused after reading all of this.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm sure it is possible, under certain conditions, that Ford programmed out the DTC's when this little "trick" happens. I have a Dash Daq coming in a day or two and I'll be able to see a LOT more than I can see now. I have an 04 truck here with a complete EGR delete that I should be able to see if the fan comes on or not, hopefully.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New truck is running great. I have 3500 miles on it and it just gets better each mile.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM
I have a 2005 with no EGR system. I have the egr valve plugged in and installed in the manifold. The Edge Insight shows no DTCs, but I am in some sort of limp mode, because my boost is limited to 21 lbs. I'm ready to get an SCT so the computer stops looking for egr.

I'm confused after reading all of this.
I am getting ready to do an EGR cooler delete. So the question is do I leave the ERG valve in or block it off. I have read that I should but what your saying is that your trucks not running that well with it in.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetact
I am getting ready to do an EGR cooler delete. So the question is do I leave the ERG valve in or block it off. I have read that I should but what your saying is that your trucks not running that well with it in.
I was told (since I don't have a tuner to disable the egr function) I should leave the valve plugged in so I don't get a CEL. I had planned on getting the tuner some day and then installing the block off plate. Now after seeing Cheezit's research I may have to re-think that idea.

Also - the truck is running very well. The only difference from before the delete is the lower boost. It used to be 26 psi and now only about 21 psi. If I didn't have a boost gauge I wouldn't know there was any difference.

I never hear my cooling fan come on, but my temps have not been above 205 degrees either.

Quick Reply: side effect of disconneting egr valve