6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

side effect of disconneting egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by matty169
SCT and their canned tunes now allow you to turn off the egr. FYI, these are the new tunes SCT installed on my XF3.
so does that mean I should update my tuner again? Im kinda skared to.
the street tune runs really well no smoke and just enugh to make it run.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
jetact
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT and their canned tunes now allow you to turn off the egr. FYI, these are the new tunes SCT installed on my XF3.
Is one of these tuners better then the other or do they do different things. I wil need to turn the CEL off for EGR delete. Noth sure if I need nore power but would like to have the option. Can they do more then one tune so you can experiment? Do you haveot send it back in for updating or can you download what you wnat? Does it cost more to download new tunes?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by jetact
Is one of these tuners better then the other or do they do different things. I wil need to turn the CEL off for EGR delete. Noth sure if I need nore power but would like to have the option. Can they do more then one tune so you cna experiment?

Thanks for the advice.
the sf3 has 5 tunes in it that are "canned" you can have custome tunes built for your needs wants by lot of people.

I will say you shouldnt tow with a street / race tune.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TUNES....

Originally Posted by cheezit
so does that mean I should update my tuner again? Im kinda skared to.
the street tune runs really well no smoke and just enugh to make it run.
They work for me. The sct performance tune runs as good or better than my custom tunes and gets better mileage. Also has better bottom end.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
jetact
Elder User
the sf3 has 5 tunes in it that are "canned" you can have custome tunes built for your needs wants by lot of people.

I will say you shouldnt tow with a street / race tune.
So your happy with the sf3. Canned tunes are just different and varying degrees of tunes. Would you tow with any tune or take it back to stock?. I am using the insight CST, the tunes wouldnt have any effect on that as I am just reading what the engine is doing correct?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

I think you should be ok with the insite.
If I were to tow it would be with a tow tune. or a stock tune with egr turned off. what level of tow tune depends on the load you are hauling.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
jetact
Elder User
Thank you very much. I only tow a 27' enclosed snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds and gear so problably 5,000 lbs at the most. I will find where I can order the sf3 and get it ordered. Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
matty169
Elder User
Towing and the SF3.....

Originally Posted by jetact
Thank you very much. I only tow a 27' enclosed snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds and gear so problably 5,000 lbs at the most. I will find where I can order the sf3 and get it ordered. Thanks for the advice.
I believe the performance tune allows up to 9000lb. towing. Next to NO smoke.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

I believe the performance tune allows up to 9000lb. towing. Next to NO smoke.
my performance tunes smokes pretty good. my street tune not at all.
the sf3 also comes with 3 tow tunes. O ya and a firm shifty tune for the trans that can be solo or added with any of the others.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 PM
jetact
Elder User
the sf3 also comes with 3 tow tunes. O ya and a firm shifty tune for the trans that can be solo or added with any of the others.
These sound like fun. 3 tow tunes, must be for different weights? does any of the sponsors here carry these that you would reccomend?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 PM
matty169
Elder User
Yep

The SCT performance tune is what I was talking about. I get VERY LITTLE smoke. Mostly a puff if I stab the throttle before I have boost and thats about it.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tow an approximately 12,500 lbs fifth wheel (loaded). Should I stay with the stock tune with egr turned off or do they have a safe towing tune to use that gets better fuel economy, or????
Also, I too would like to know a good source to purchase this tuner and get the good towing tunes.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I tow an approximately 12,500 lbs fifth wheel (loaded). Should I stay with the stock tune with egr turned off or do they have a safe towing tune to use that gets better fuel economy, or????
Also, I too would like to know a good source to purchase this tuner and get the good towing tunes.
I got my SCT X3 and tunes from Innovative. He will write just about whatever tune you want. You can get a tune that just disables egr with no horse power gains.

There are many other people (companies) that do tuning. May be contact them and see who has a good price and can give you the tunes you want.

FWIW, My mileage is not better with any of the tunes I've tried.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called Innovative and it seems that $429 is their price, due to Eric's tunes, which they say are superior to other vendors tunes. Should I take their word for it or shop around for a lower price. Money is getting tight these days and I am tempted to find a lower price, but I really don't want to load something in there that I'll regret later. If Innovative IS superior, that's the way I want to go.
Any input? Thanks in advance, T

Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I called Innovative and it seems that $429 is their price, due to Eric's tunes, which they say are superior to other vendors tunes. Should I take their word for it or shop around for a lower price. Money is getting tight these days and I am tempted to find a lower price, but I really don't want to load something in there that I'll regret later. If Innovative IS superior, that's the way I want to go.
Any input? Thanks in advance, T
So thats for the X3 correct? Do you need a custom tune? I am going with the sf3 as cheezit has had good luck with it. I have no idea what I would ask for in a custom tune. As long as I can do the EGR delte I will be happy I think.

Quick Reply: side effect of disconneting egr valve