6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

side effect of disconneting egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jetact
You say default. Is that just a code and the CEL light coming on? I know you said it runs better and everything seems to run right. Thank you for all of your knowledge and testing that you do for us guys that are new to tearing these things apart.
read the word default as engine derate. it will limit boost to about 21psi. it wil lack soem power and the check engine lamp will come on.

and your very welcome.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This stand up comedy gig is harder than I thought. It might help if I had a better grasp on the English language. I was close. The word I should have used was achronyms. Is it funnier now...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well.......

Originally Posted by rickatic
This stand up comedy gig is harder than I thought. It might help if I had a better grasp on the English language. I was close. The word I should have used was achronyms. Is it funnier now...
Hey, I was joking with you. But I do type like crap...

Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Z06MAN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
just dont use the block off plate. install the egr valve were it should be and plug it in.
you will need a programer to stop it from going into default when the p0401 codes hits. this is my tested findings at this point using fords diag equipment and test tools with my own personal truck.

Thanks Cheezit!

What would cause it to trigger the p0401 code if the EGR was still installed and hooked up?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
BossEliminator
Junior User
04 EGR

My EGR started giving me problems a month ago. Stumble loss of power and black smoke. Cleaned the valve which was not very dirty and still had the same issue. Decided to test it with the valve unplugged and that resolved all the issues. I've been running it that way for about a 1,000 miles with no issues. Towed the trailer with it a couple of weeks ago and the coolant fan and AC works as normal. No check engine light and the scanner shows no codes. I still have the EGR cooler in place and going to continue to run it this way as I see no issues doing so. My last reflash was in July 04 six months after I purchased the truck.

Brian
04 F 250
EXT cab 4X4
XLT
50,000 miles

Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Z06MAN
Thanks Cheezit!

What would cause it to trigger the p0401 code if the EGR was still installed and hooked up?
I believe it would be lack of EGR flow measured by the IAT sensor in the intake manifold. (Hope thats right.)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matty,

I saw the JK in the post. I am a little embarrassed at my English faux pas. Thanks for calling it to my attention. You did not mention if it was funnier now...

Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Z06MAN
Thanks Cheezit!

yes. you will need a tune to avoid the p0401.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
just to add more info I run the previous flash #7 and Matt's tunes thru an SCT I have not experienced any issues ,, I kind of avoided the latest flash because of many recommendations ,, this is a great thread ,, I will start looking into my #'s a little more

Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
So I had some time to play at the shop today. I grabed the IDS and starting playing with some active commands and found that when activeing the fan clutch it would NOT run at the commanded duty cycles.

So here is what is going on when I turned the fan on to 100 % duty cycle max fan speed was around 900 rpm with engine at 2500 rpm. What it should... the fan should turn at 2800+ rpm with the engine at 2500 rpm.

I cleard the egr codes from hooked my valve back up and retest. Once the codes were gone and the valve hooked up the fan will now run at 2800 rpm with engine at 2500rpm as it should.

So if you are out there and still with headstuds and running around with an unpluged or no egr valve this may solve your issues.

also as a side note after pluging the valve back in my milage may have gone up a little bit.

I wonder what the difference is when running a custom tune? Gear heads doesn't show a code with the egr unplugged , Eric's will , it doesn't throw a CEL but the code is in there
I wonder if I can read fan speed with my A?E? I will have to check this out thx

Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
My truck turns out to be an early '03. I have blocked off the EGR cooler and left my EGR valve plugged in. When I first started playing around with it, I found that it ran slightly better by just unplugging the valve with no other modifications. I did not leave it that way, but neither did I get a CEL. Later, after I did the modifications I cleared the memory with the batteries disconnected and have not had any CEL. I don't have the right kind of code scanner but my simple scangauge shows no codes. I don't think it can read the different layers however. As far as boost, I seem to get at least 20. I'm reading the MAP sensor with my Scangauge and doing the math on the fly but the truck seems to haul just fine.

So, maybe the '03s do not have the same programming as the later years? Is this what others have seen?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I've been searching till my eyes are beginning to cross. Now, it's all about me, alright?

I have an 05 F350. I just did the egr delete. My egr is still plugged in but the cooler is G-A-W-N gone. Now I'm getting that pesky old CEL. Soooo, now it's confirmed, an 05 needs the tuner. Please set me straight on what I need to do next.

As I understand it, I need the SCT X3 with custom tunes. Where do I get one of these thingys at the best price and what are these custom tunes I need to order with it? Please help as I'm ready to lay the green on the table and want to do it right the first time.

Thanks, Tim

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by satwood

So, maybe the '03s do not have the same programming as the later years? Is this what others have seen?
this is fact and it is stated in the thread somewere If im not mistaken.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
OK, I've been searching till my eyes are beginning to cross. Now, it's all about me, alright?

I have an 05 F350. I just did the egr delete. My egr is still plugged in but the cooler is G-A-W-N gone. Now I'm getting that pesky old CEL. Soooo, now it's confirmed, an 05 needs the tuner. Please set me straight on what I need to do next.

As I understand it, I need the SCT X3 with custom tunes. Where do I get one of these thingys at the best price and what are these custom tunes I need to order with it? Please help as I'm ready to lay the green on the table and want to do it right the first time.

Thanks, Tim
you need an sf3 or an x3 either will work. Ive tried a few tunes from here and there. As of right now im running one of sct's canned tunes and no light all seems to be functing fine and no light.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SCT and their new tunes........

SCT and their canned tunes now allow you to turn off the egr. FYI, these are the new tunes SCT installed on my XF3.

Quick Reply: side effect of disconneting egr valve