6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

side effect of disconneting egr valve

Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
jetact
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM
I was told (since I don't have a tuner to disable the egr function) I should leave the valve plugged in so I don't get a CEL. I had planned on getting the tuner some day and then installing the block off plate. Now after seeing Cheezit's research I may have to re-think that idea.

Also - the truck is running very well. The only difference from before the delete is the lower boost. It used to be 26 psi and now only about 21 psi. If I didn't have a boost gauge I wouldn't know there was any difference.

I never hear my cooling fan come on, but my temps have not been above 205 degrees either.

I just ordered an Edge insight CST so I can see whats going on better. My cooling fan comes on when I climb a long steep hill and its hot out. I guess I will have to wait and see when I get done with the ERG cooler delete. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
azlunchbox
New User
subscribing...planning an EGR delete in the near future.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
kenlippold
Senior User
Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM
I have a 2005 with no EGR system. I have the egr valve plugged in and installed in the manifold. The Edge Insight shows no DTCs, but I am in some sort of limp mode, because my boost is limited to 21 lbs. I'm ready to get an SCT so the computer stops looking for egr.

I'm confused after reading all of this.
My truck was the same way at one time. However, at that time it was not running very well even though it was reaching 29 PSI of boost. It was coughing (turbo fart) and just did not have the power it used to. Under warranty the dealer replaced the EGR valve and the Turbo. When I got it back the truck ran like new. Great power, lots of bottom end that I did not even realize was gone. However, I also noticed that I could only get about 21 PSI of boost. It was weird but I had less boost, more power and my mileage came back up by 2-3 mpg. This made me wonder if the EGR can get stuck open letting the exhaust back pressure into the intake causing the boost pressure to rocket up with the exhaust. Since then I have made a number of changes and it seems that the exhaust pressure is always higher then boost pressure.
Thoughts?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
so I was playing today and found that with a tune and the valve in everything works like it should.
also 06 will set a p0401 on stock tune with valve pluged in.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
caere
Senior User
So cheezit, I just redid my head gaskets and put in a rivercity erg delete. I have an early model '04. The tech. left the erg valve in and connected until I get a revised tune from Eric at Innovative. Are you saying that I should leave the erg valve in and connected, regardless of whether my tune is setup for no erg?

Or maybe I misunderstood and it is just the '05 and up that have a prob?

Also, I don't think I have ever heard the fan come on. Lol I don't tow more than 8,000 lbs give or take so maybe I'm not making it work hard? Is it really that loud that I couldn't miss it? I haven't ever seen my eot above 220. Is that why?

My A/C is as cold as a polar bears nose!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Ask eric what he knows about the issue. Like I said I speak only of the 06/07 for certin. matt states the same findings on an 05.
haveing the valve there and pluged in with no cooler still lets it work but it cant flow any egr as there would be no cooler. IMO it wont hert to leave it there and pluged in.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
caere
Senior User
And the fan? Is there a certain eot or ect that turns it on? As, I said before I don't think I have ever heard mine.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

aprox 212 on either but there is much involved in the fan operation and timing that is still unknowen.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,701 Posts
Engine temperature is not the only parameter that the PCM monitors to determine cooling fan operation. This is the reason that you will see some variation in engine temperature as it correlates to fan operation. The operation/description of the FSS (Fan Speed Sensor) from the PC/ED manual has a fairly good explanation as to how the system "thinks". This is not your traditional engine hits temp X and the fan clutch locks up. The fan speed sensor is a Hall-Effect sensor integral to the vistronic drive fan (VDF). The powertrain control module (PCM) will monitor sensor inputs and control the VDF speed based upon engine coolant temperature (ECT), transmission fluid temperature (TFT) and intake air temperature (IAT) requirements. When an increase in fan speed for vehicle cooling is requested, the PCM will monitor the FSS signal and output the required pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to a fluid port valve within the VDF.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 AM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Playing around today.......

Sct tunes loaded, egr unplugged, AC on high, parked. Engine temp gets to 210, eot gets to 227, fan never commanded on. Fanvar =0.00%. Plug egr back in but laying in valley and the fan commanded on somewhere around 195 degrees ect. With Elite tunes I see roughly the same, although fan is commanded on at a slightly lower engine temp. I went for a drive with the egr unplugged and would see eot of 226 and ect of 206 and no wrench light or fan. Tried beating the truck or cruising. Cruising the ect was about 190, eot would get to 220, so that 15-16 degree variance is not at all accurate. AND NO CODES ON IDS WITH EGR PLUGGED IN. FYI

Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark

You may have just set the record for the most anachronisms in one post

Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well......

Originally Posted by rickatic
Mark

You may have just set the record for the most anachronisms in one post
So whats your point...I type like a 3 fingered guy with 1 eye, so leave me be......J/K And an anachronism is something that is chronologically out of place.. Is that what you meant????? Thought not.....

Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Z06MAN
Junior User
Okay I'm lost. I have an 06 that I'm getting ready to do a Sinister EGR delete. I was going to do this before I got a programmer. Should I wait and do the Programmer at the same time? Should I leave the EGR plugged in just laying in the valley pan or not?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Z06MAN
Okay I'm lost. I have an 06 that I'm getting ready to do a Sinister EGR delete. I was going to do this before I got a programmer. Should I wait and do the Programmer at the same time? Should I leave the EGR plugged in just laying in the valley pan or not?
just dont use the block off plate. install the egr valve were it should be and plug it in.
you will need a programer to stop it from going into default when the p0401 codes hits. this is my tested findings at this point using fords diag equipment and test tools with my own personal truck.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by cheezit
just dont use the block off plate. install the egr valve were it should be and plug it in.
you will need a programer to stop it from going into default when the p0401 codes hits. this is my tested findings at this point using fords diag equipment and test tools with my own personal truck.
You say default. Is that just a code and the CEL light coming on? I know you said it runs better and everything seems to run right. Thank you for all of your knowledge and testing that you do for us guys that are new to tearing these things apart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: side effect of disconneting egr valve