6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

side effect of disconneting egr valve

Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM
jfirstford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got a chance to read through this whole thread and now I'm a little confused and slightly more enlightened about the effect of an unplugged EGR Valve in my '04 build PSD.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, although no code(s) will be generated, an unplugged EGR Valve in a '03-'04 build will cause some degree of insufficient fan clutch engagement, therefore higher potential for engine overheating and less efficient A/C condenser coil cooling. And that degree of insufficient fan clutch engagement may be anything from none-at-all to less-than-it-should-be?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 AM
bcfarmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by jfirstford
I finally got a chance to read through this whole thread and now I'm a little confused and slightly more enlightened about the effect of an unplugged EGR Valve in my '04 build PSD.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, although no code(s) will be generated, an unplugged EGR Valve in a '03-'04 build will cause some degree of insufficient fan clutch engagement, therefore higher potential for engine overheating and less efficient A/C condenser coil cooling. And that degree of insufficient fan clutch engagement may be anything from none-at-all to less-than-it-should-be?
From my understanding that is correct.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
Josh I was only able to varify the concern with vxcf9. Never had a code in my either, just wasnt able to activate the cooling fan correctly with ids
I tried with both a 2005 with VXCF7 and my 2006 VXCF4 both EGR plugged in and unplugged and the fan operated correctly @ 2500 engine rpm and fan duty cycle of 100%.

I questioned whether the PCM might need a couple drive cycles of the EGR being unplugged? Just thinking out loud on that one.

I need to scrounge up an older 03/04 or retry with a newer truck with VXCF9. Just from the look of things maybe the newest strategy is the kicker with having an unplugged EGR valve?

Josh

Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I tried with both a 2005 with VXCF7 and my 2006 VXCF4 both EGR plugged in and unplugged and the fan operated correctly @ 2500 engine rpm and fan duty cycle of 100%.

I questioned whether the PCM might need a couple drive cycles of the EGR being unplugged? Just thinking out loud on that one.

I need to scrounge up an older 03/04 or retry with a newer truck with VXCF9. Just from the look of things maybe the newest strategy is the kicker with having an unplugged EGR valve?

Josh
If you were in Ohio I would be your guinea pig! lol

Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM
woodlander
Senior User
So I guess this means that on my 206 with VXCF9H7 I have to leave EGR valve in. I was so hoping I could use my fancy aluminum block off plate with the RCD engraved on it. I guess I can hang on wall of my shop.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by woodlander
So I guess this means that on my 206 with VXCF9H7 I have to leave EGR valve in. I was so hoping I could use my fancy aluminum block off plate with the RCD engraved on it. I guess I can hang on wall of my shop.
You can use a plug, just need the valve plugged in and laying in the valley or zip tied to something

Definitely need the valve plugged in for the fan to operate correctly

Josh

Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Steelman56
New User
this is true on 03/04 trucks only. unless its a califorina emmisions truck they ot will also get the code for low/no flow.
so do you happen to know what is needed to be done to a truck in calif.???...where I just happen to live with a 2004 power stroke with a welded plunged egr cooler??????

Old 01-01-2020, 02:00 AM
mothergoose76148
4th Gear
I cant awnser that as I have no idea how an 05 will react at this point. you can try it both ways.
I just put mine back in and the fan is working as it now should be for the time at hand.
If you have a person that writes toons you may ask them if they even know of this concern and what they advise.
I would speculate that the 05 will have the same issue. I have no idea what the 03/04 will do as that programing is very different then the 06/07.
I have 6.0 power stroke ford and ford dealership had me disconnect batteries and now it’s all goofed up, now drives like a plain ole truck.
then I went to diesel mechanic in town and he updated my set device but .... act no longer supports egr delete which was on my unit and now disappeared, so my egr check engine light is on and I cannot fix it. I’m not able to find anyone who writes tunes. I’ve been googling for 3 days 🙈🤦🏼‍♀️
need help please

Old 07-20-2020, 11:06 AM
Utefan801
New User
Question?

So I had some time to play at the shop today. I grabed the IDS and starting playing with some active commands and found that when activeing the fan clutch it would NOT run at the commanded duty cycles.

So here is what is going on when I turned the fan on to 100 % duty cycle max fan speed was around 900 rpm with engine at 2500 rpm. What it should... the fan should turn at 2800+ rpm with the engine at 2500 rpm.

I cleard the egr codes from hooked my valve back up and retest. Once the codes were gone and the valve hooked up the fan will now run at 2800 rpm with engine at 2500rpm as it should.

So if you are out there and still with headstuds and running around with an unpluged or no egr valve this may solve your issues.

also as a side note after pluging the valve back in my milage may have gone up a little bit.
I have 07 egr deleted head studs bullet proof oil cooler egr installed but not plugged in sct x4 tuner with custom tunes. Should I plug the egr in? Will I have to get new tunes?
it's been over heating going up steep grades with and without trailer. Never hear fan kick on.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:23 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Yes plug it in.
It should not need any new tune with the valve plugged in. If you have an EGR delete tune and have them update it then
you will loose the Delete part of the tune do to the EPA sticking there noses up everyones back side. So the effect will be
if you update the tune you will get a dash light for EGR flow. Also if you do talk to your tune people do not say you have
EGR delete. Some of the tuners have gone to the dark side. They will ask you to prove your have EGR intact before they
will send you an updated tune.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Utefan801
New User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Yes plug it in.
It should not need any new tune with the valve plugged in. If you have an EGR delete tune and have them update it then
you will loose the Delete part of the tune do to the EPA sticking there noses up everyones back side. So the effect will be
if you update the tune you will get a dash light for EGR flow. Also if you do talk to your tune people do not say you have
EGR delete. Some of the tuners have gone to the dark side. They will ask you to prove your have EGR intact before they
will send you an updated tune.
Thank you I will give it a try.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:17 AM
bonnie “haymaker” parker
New User
So I had some time to play at the shop today. I grabed the IDS and starting playing with some active commands and found that when activeing the fan clutch it would NOT run at the commanded duty cycles.

So here is what is going on when I turned the fan on to 100 % duty cycle max fan speed was around 900 rpm with engine at 2500 rpm. What it should... the fan should turn at 2800+ rpm with the engine at 2500 rpm.

I cleard the egr codes from hooked my valve back up and retest. Once the codes were gone and the valve hooked up the fan will now run at 2800 rpm with engine at 2500rpm as it should.

So if you are out there and still with headstuds and running around with an unpluged or no egr valve this may solve your issues.

also as a side note after pluging the valve back in my milage may have gone up a little bit.
so in layman’s terms, take the aluminum plate off where the EGR valve is supposed to sit and put the valve back on with no vacuum or coolant line and it should be fine? or do you need to reattach the lines and wouldn’t that defeat the purpose?