Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations at speed & Three sets of tires in one week..my dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Ruby's X
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might also want to check the wheel u-joints.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM
DRM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aftermarket, or OEM wheels?

Is this a vibration on the front axle, rear, or both? If just one axle, I'd rotate front to rear and see if the vibration follows the tires or stays on that axle.

Beyond that, you can have Discount Tire dismount the tires and run the wheels on the balancing machine to check for runout, and see if one of them is horribly out of balance in some way.

That is where I would start.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DRM

Is this a vibration on the front axle, rear, or both? If just one axle, I'd rotate front to rear and see if the vibration follows the tires or stays on that axle.

Beyond that, you can have Discount Tire dismount the tires and run the wheels on the balancing machine to check for runout, and see if one of them is horribly out of balance in some way.

I have OEM wheels on it.

I'll definitely have someone check the wheels.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately, I have not found a solution on any of the Super Duty platforms I have ever owned in regards to tire vibrations. All of mine have had varying degrees of tire shake. Granted, mine always occurs when I upsize the tires. I had a 2003 F250 gas truck I bought new with 235 85 16's. After 5,000 miles, I sold them and bought a very expensive set of 285 BFG all terrains. It shook enough to vibrate the center console on the interstate. I had it back 3 times to the tire store when they said I had a bent rim. It had the factory chrome capped steel wheels. I took it to the dealer and they replaced two of the rims. It never shook with the factory tires. Didnt fix it so I bought a set of factory aluminum rims. Still shook. Went back to the tire store and complained enough that he replaced the BFG's with the even more expensive Michelins. Still shook. Ended up trading the truck for a Diesel F250 and it shook. Both of my Excursions had or have the shakes. I recently went with 285 Nitto Terra Grapplers and they have been the best so far. But it still has some shake. I dont know if the hub centric wheels exaggerate it or not.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
NJEx
Freshman User
I have not been back out in the X to check the rim temps, but for the record -everything is stock (Limited Edition, 6 L Diesel). Tires still have alot of tread -even wear, but we do have 60K + miles on them. I have always had one tire that shakes a bit and believe to be the the rim, but nothing like this. I could always pin it on that one wheel, whether on the front or back. But this shakes the floor, not the steering wheel.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread, I had a couple of random thoughts:
1) If it wasn't doing it before the tire change, but was after the tire change, it really has to have something to do with the change in tires, right? I just don't believe in coincidences on things like this.

2)Does anyone know if putting on new tires can magnify an already existing problem, perhaps due to the additional weight, and particularly if you are up-sizing the tires.

3) Could the fact that we are using load range E have anything to do with it ... weight, etc.

4) Has anyone tried these: How Hub Centric Rings Work - JustForWheels.com

Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Changing tires can certainly change an existing problem - usually for the better. When you get a new set of tires they can be slightly out of round, will need to be balanced and then mounted correctly. The road force systems from Hunter will minimize the out of round issue in the wheels and the tires. That leaves balancing - every machine is slightly different and every technician has the opportunity to introduce error in where they place weights.

A new set of tires will have different tread design, potentially different size (at least on this forum and on these trucks) and potentially different weights. All of this can become factors. I have the factory alloy wheels on mine - 2 are slightly bent. At 65 mph I get just enough shimmy to feel it and make the rear seats vibrate slightly. I have a brand new Coats balancer at my shop and rebalancing them after the 2nd rotation (6000 miles) made a big difference but it will be there until I get those 2 wheels replaced.

Load range E tires can also be a factor due to the stiffer sidewall - less flex and not as forgiving on the road. Lowering the tire pressure can help but if you need the load capacity of the E or D rated tires then they need to be at the max of 80 or 65 psi.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
After reading this thread, I had a couple of random thoughts:
1) If it wasn't doing it before the tire change, but was after the tire change, it really has to have something to do with the change in tires, right? I just don't believe in coincidences on things like this.

I'm thinking the same thing. It make things a whole lot easier for me if it is just poor balancing.

2)Does anyone know if putting on new tires can magnify an already existing problem, perhaps due to the additional weight, and particularly if you are up-sizing the tires.

I would imagine that this could certainly be possible. I have the stock size tires btw.

3) Could the fact that we are using load range E have anything to do with it ... weight, etc.

Same load rating as before.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DRM

This vibration seems to come from both the front and rear. It's not isolated to one end of the vehicle. Like NJEx said, my vibration shakes the floor and entire vehicle not just the steering.

I will be taking a look at the wheels now.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
jebdrup
New User
Originally Posted by jh818
U joints on the driveshaft, maybe?
I check the drive shaft but didn't find any bad joints. Took it to the dealer and they found a bad u-joint.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jebdrup
I check the drive shaft but didn't find any bad joints. Took it to the dealer and they found a bad u-joint.
Did that remedy the vibration? Or you haven't got the Ex back?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man ..... I thought I had the only Ex with the shakes. Our 2004 used to ride like glass on the stock Pirelli tires. Had to buy some new ones so went all out and bought Michelin LTX/MS load E's. Now three sets of those later I put Pirelli Scorpion Street back on. Ours used to BOUNCE literally in the rear with the Michelin's. I tried balance rings and everything with the Michelin's and it was always a tire issue. Discount Tire was always good about pointing out the tires failed the road force tests and replacing them but geesh I got sick of seeing the guys. I still have some vibration but I'm just living with it for now. We came close to just trading it because it pissed me off so bad.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one now.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
UPDATE

I'm still chasing down the vibration but haven't had a chance to take it in to have someone take a look.

This past week though I have noticed what it appears to be a humming/roaring sound coming from the front driver side tire. I've heard it at speeds as low as 35 all the way up to 75 (have not had an opportunity to surpass that speed this week) and I'm thinking this is the front wheel bearings going bad.

Could this be the culprit to not only the new sound but also my vibration problem?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 AM
NJEx
Freshman User
The only chance I had to crawl under the Ex - it was pouring torentially out here. I finally have an appointment for mine this morning. The guy is good, so that means he is busy. here is my list for the mechanic to check:
Wheel bearings (at over 100k - it's about time anyway)

Brakes - not returning
Drive shaft bolts - loose
Wheel - out of round
Tire - steel belts tearing up inside
Bad U-joints

Anything else?

I just had a thought. It seems like only men are complaining about this issue. This is the wife's car. She never said a word about it. I only found out when I drove it. hmm, either she is completely clueless, or... found it's turned into a 7,700 lb diesel turbo powered vibrator? with heated seats. (sorry - I couldn't resist)

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Slip yoke need lubricating?
Check bolts connecting axle to the leaf springs.
Tires balanced?

I think women tend to not mention things gone wrong with cars fearing that they may have done something wrong to mess it up. Sometimes things break and fail over time and has nothing to do with what they've done. Not mentioning about it and getting it fixed before something else screws up because of it is far worse.

The opposite with men is that we tend to not go (on our own) to see a doctor for check up or something ailing us because we think it will go away...or I feel fine and there is nothing wrong with us. Then, we just keel over...That's the reason women have a longer life expectancy.

Quick Reply: Vibrations at speed & Three sets of tires in one week..my dilemma