Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Senior User

blackout150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Time for brakes!

Well at 58,500 it was time for brakes. How did I know? well it wasn't because the little metal tabs were squealing against the rotors, because there werent any. The right rear was scraping the rotor, put a few grooves, but no too bad. Should be able to get them turned when I have more time. The stranger part to me was it was the rear brakes that needed changing, not the fronts. I was really annoyed that the pads didn't have the warning tab to let you know they were low. I have never had them wear out this fast either, my old 98 F150 had the original fronts on at 120,000 and they still werent worn out. Oh well, maybe it has something to due with the fact that this vehicle is heavier than the old Expy's and 150's, or that it is my wifes vehicle to drive! Dont tell her I said that! The right rear outside pad was completely worn down, the inside still had about 3/16" left. The left rear was almost completely gone on the outside and the inside still had the same 3/16" left. Was an easy job, remove two plastic caps off of the rubber boot around the caliper bolts, use an allen wrench ( 7mm I think, didn't have one but the 1/4" was close enough) to remove the two bolts from each caliper. Pop the old pads out, compress the piston, new pads in and re-install caliper.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Freshman User

Harley Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biggest headace I had replacing the rear pads was not the actual pads but the rubber insert that the caliper retaining bolts fit in. What a PITA! Maybe you don't need to replace them every time but hey, they were in the package with the pads so I did....

My rear pads only lasted 27,000 miles - fronts are still good.

Just my 2 cents worth...

B/R,
Randy
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Junior User

Boomer1956 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just a little FYI. As a rule when I rotate tires, I clean and lube the sliders on the calipers. I think this might have prevented uneven wear on your rears or spotted one that was hanging up. Just 43K on my 07 El Limited, plenty of pad left so far. I have an 02 Explorer and replaced all four corners at 68K. All were equal wear.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2008, expedition, rear, replace, rotor, xlt