Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
I have a leak somewhere in mine, took it in and they couldn't find it. They topped it up and it worked, but it needs another recharge now.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence105 View Post
I have a leak somewhere in mine, took it in and they couldn't find it. They topped it up and it worked, but it needs another recharge now.

f**d a/c sucks when they are leaking. the only real way to get it taken care of is to replace every component. did it a while back and cost ~$750 + a day of wrenching. there is no messing around with south texas heat!

if you cannot go that route, and the leak is not too bad, you can try some Red Angel or Cliplight. be advised, if the leak persists after using either of these- you will have to replace the drier and orifice tube before doing anything else on the system.

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
if it has a leak and the shop says they can't find it, it is time to find a different shop that knows AC systems.

my crown vic has a SMALL leak that needs to be recharged every other year.
it took me all of 5 minutes to find it with the sniffer after i charged it last year.
at the end of this season when it needs charging again, i will fix it properly.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Posting Guru

Crewcab Turbo has a very good reputation on FTE.Crewcab Turbo has a very good reputation on FTE.Crewcab Turbo has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstieg View Post
you can go to walmart, buy the syththetic R134a big bottle recharge with the guage. Check your low end pressure according to the specs on the can (should be 35-45psi) If its low then add, if not you've got other issues. The fact that you have SOME A/c means you've got at least some pressure which would indicate you have no major leaks. the sealant in the can will take care of the rest. Buy the Synth stuff that gets 50% colder faster, you won't be sorry. it even contains the proper oil needed for the compressor.
also check your clutch gap with a feeler guage. (should be .025-.030 i think) Mine was up to pressure but the ac clutch kept disengaging on it own intermittently until i took a little spacer out behind the clutch which allowed the electromagnetic coil to grab it better. It took 5 min.
Definatly check the clutch gap, its close to a free fix. Mine had the same problem. Ford sells a shim kit if a smaller shim is needed. Check the gap with a feeler gage and remove one bolt and install a smaller shim as needed. There is a write up somewhere on this site about it.
7.3, 4R100, 4x4, CC, SB, 4"lift, 315/75/16, AIS, GTP38R, Turbonetics outlet, 4" MBRP, Swamps 200/30 Hybrids, Hydra w Power-Struck & Gearhead tuning, Swamps HI V/F IDM, IH bellows, Plenum inserts, Ic boots, OCR, HPx, FRx, Hutch/Harpoon, Racor heated prepump filter, Bosch pump, DIY 3/8 fuel lines to heads, Isspro gages, ELC, BTS vb, 6.0 cooler, Melling LPOP, DIY traction bars, AE, all work done by ME and FTE!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
if it has a leak and the shop says they can't find it, it is time to find a different shop that knows AC systems.

my crown vic has a SMALL leak that needs to be recharged every other year.
it took me all of 5 minutes to find it with the sniffer after i charged it last year.
at the end of this season when it needs charging again, i will fix it properly.

They used UV dye and couldn't find the leak, I looked it over after driving it for a week and couldn't find it either. But it's clearly leaking I lost about a third of my charge over the the last 6 months. I figured the ford dealer in florida would be a good place to go.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
you need a black light to properly see the UV dye.

and if it is leaking under the fitting or in the evaporator or condenser, you will not see the dye either. that is where the sniffer comes in handy.
if there is any leakage at all, the sniffer will tell you.
the schrader valve in the low side port on the crown vic is leaking. spray soapy water on it and it will give one small bubble every 4-5 minutes.

like i said, it is a very small leak.
i got the sniffer out and eventually found it. then used the soap water to confirm it was in fact the valve.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Senior User

trk98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sometimes compressor shaft seals are hard to detect because the clutch is in the way. These conpressor cases are known to leak where the halves meet. Condensers leak frequently too. Don't be afraid to use soapy water spray to find leaks. Fords evaporators seem to be pretty stout. Dodges on the other hand...
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM
i ain't rite

i had 3 evaporators go on my trucks, the 88, the 89, and the 91.
the 89 and 91 were replaced before i sold the trucks, the 88 still needs it but since i am replacing the cab real soon, i am not bothering with the one currently in it.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Postmaster

jeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to behold
Try another shop, someone who does AC work, they usually have it advertised on big banners in Florida. What part of Florida? There are several of us spread throughout the state, maybe one of us can recommend a shop close to you.

As for the clutch gap adjustment, check out the SpringerPop link in my sig, he's got a how-to there. Or the Tex link and look at one of the last few pages. There's a write up there too.
Jeff- PAA #133Guzzle - Springer Pop -RiffRaffHis-Tex-2002 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 - 257K, RDP boots, plenum inserts, 6637 intake, PHP Hydra, Isspro EV2 gauges, RDS Aux tank, $0.50 mod, CAT ELC, GPR LED, 6.0 trans cooler, 6.0 CAC, RDP billet compressor wheel, OCR, bellowed up pipes, Alto Reds, Recon Triple Clutch Billet Converter, superior shift technology kit
Hers-2011 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost- 77k
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
Try another shop, someone who does AC work, they usually have it advertised on big banners in Florida. What part of Florida? There are several of us spread throughout the state, maybe one of us can recommend a shop close to you.

As for the clutch gap adjustment, check out the SpringerPop link in my sig, he's got a how-to there. Or the Tex link and look at one of the last few pages. There's a write up there too.
I'm actually in Canada I was just there in December with the family and the AC didn't work very well so I took it in. The guy who did the job seemed like he knew what he was doing and went over the lines with me after he said he couldn't find the leak. even let me use his fancy light and glasses. They charged me $90 and put in just under 2 lbs of 134a it was worth it to have the AC for the trip.
John FTEMaB #5

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
In Post #8 above "bluescrew" wrote: "when im on the skinny pedal it blows cold, when i idle its not cold..".

If I were bluescrew, since it DOES blow cold, I wouldn't be messing with the refrigerant levels just yet, and would be trying this, instead:
SpringerPop's Compressor Clutch Air Gap

After doing that, only then would I try more refrigerant.

Eliminate the easy, and cheap, things first!

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Senior User

trk98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i had 3 evaporators go on my trucks, the 88, the 89, and the 91.
the 89 and 91 were replaced before i sold the trucks, the 88 still needs it but since i am replacing the cab real soon, i am not bothering with the one currently in it.
I was speaking for the superduty, I was being a little vague I guess. My 89 still had r12 in it when I yanked the motor in 08.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

This advice should be applied to every scenario.

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Posting Guru

dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
In Post #8 above "bluescrew" wrote: "when im on the skinny pedal it blows cold, when i idle its not cold..".

If I were bluescrew, since it DOES blow cold, I wouldn't be messing with the refrigerant levels just yet, and would be trying this, instead:
SpringerPop's Compressor Clutch Air Gap

After doing that, only then would I try more refrigerant.

Pop
Compressor Clutch Air Gap has already has been mentioned a couple of times. My money is on air gap too.
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 2003, 2005, 350, 99, ac, actruck, charge, excursion, f150, f350, ford, psd, recharge, truck