Spark Plug Gap

Old 02-09-2003, 03:30 PM
randallc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Gap

This is probably one of the more lame questions I have asked, but I have to ask it

I have a 351W and am puting new spart plugs in it. What should the gap be on the plugs?

Old 02-09-2003, 06:46 PM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas
Spark Plug Gap

Hey Randall,

It depends on what kinda ignition setup you're running. With a stock ignition if I remember correctly it's .036. Aftermarket ignition systems like a MSD calls for the plugs to be opened up, even going as high as .060. I'm running an MSD control module and distributor and mine are gapped at .055.

Old 02-09-2003, 07:09 PM
dk5122
Elder User
Spark Plug Gap

The factory sticker under the hood on my 87 reads .045. I have mine set at .055 because of the MSD ignition. Dan

Old 02-09-2003, 07:47 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Spark Plug Gap

Make sure if you're running over .050" gap in your plugs that you have good plug wires. Whenever you increase the gap in the plugs, it creates more voltage between the two points that the spark has to travel, and therefore it makes it easy for the spark to find a shorter path, or "arc", which can tear up your wires, and cause misfiring. I have a full MSD setup as well, I like to run .060" gap, because it performs so well, but my Motorsport 9mm wires can't handle that much voltage anymore unless I wrap them with about 1/2 mile of electrical tape. Next time I get some money, I'm gonna run MSD super conductors, and we'll see if they can hang.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Duderoy
Tuned
Spark Plug Gap

I have a 95' f150 with 5.0L. I used the handy dandy info. computer at walmart and it told me to gap the platinums at .054". Does that sound correct??

Old 02-09-2003, 10:42 PM
randallc
Senior User
Spark Plug Gap

I dont know if I want to trust anyone from Walmart. I think I will call my mechanic tomorow morning. I have gaped em all to .45 but have not installed em yet, so I can always re-gap em later.

What are these platinum plugs I am hearing about? I have heard a few ppl talking about em.

I went to my local Mopac and picked up some Accel U Groove plugs. Should I take em back and get the platinums?

Old 02-09-2003, 11:47 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Spark Plug Gap

Platinum plugs are no good, except if they came from the factory with them, otherwise your engine will make no good use of them. In fact, MSD tells me that they have been known to come apart under high voltage. Do not ever buy anything made by Accel, PERIOD! That is the lousiest performance company on the market, I have tested their products, and they are consistently worse than stock-replacement parts (and made in Japan!!). The U-groove sparks plugs are very poor, cheap imitation on NGK V-grooves, and their spark plug wires are cheap and unsatisfactory, to say the least. If you really want a top-of-the-line spark plug, go with the NGK UR4. That is the part number for Ford 5.0 spark plugs, or go with UR5 to go one heat range colder if you're running high compression. The NGK's are the same price as Motorcraft, but have the split-electrode design that optimizes spark. Advance Auto Parts keeps NGK's in stock, or can order them and have them the next day. Don't waste your money on platinum plugs though. Don't expect to get a performance increase from changing your brand of plug either, as the only thing that should effect that is the gap. TK

Old 02-10-2003, 12:50 AM
randallc
Senior User
Spark Plug Gap

Right on, thx for the input. I am returning the Accel plugs and getting some NGK plugs tomorow then !

Thx again.

Old 02-10-2003, 01:21 AM
randallc
Senior User
Spark Plug Gap

How about the NGK Iridium Spark Plugs? are they any good?

Old 02-10-2003, 07:39 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Spark Plug Gap

I've heard they're very good, but i wouldn't worry about it. The regular ones have always worked wonders for me.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:44 AM
dk5122
Elder User
Spark Plug Gap

Hey Torque King, I going to switch my gap to .060 on the next nice day. Sounds like a couple of you guys have the plugs gapped there. My local speed shop told me that Ford 9mm wires were better than the MSD's and he is a chevy guy. He stocks both sets of wires and he's not a Ford guy. Anyway, he also told me don't waste my money on the expensive plugs I guess he was right about that one. But you recomend the NGKUR4's. I think i'll give them a try. Don't mind spending the money, just want to get something back from it. Dan

Old 02-10-2003, 11:49 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Spark Plug Gap

Dude, NGK's were $1.29 a plug last time I bought them, so you won't even be doing $10 on a plug change. When you gap them, I like to use the tool that only touches the ground electrode, then measure it with a ramp style gage, that way it never stresses the nose of the electrode. I'll keep that in mind about the MSD wires, but are you sure he was talking about the Super Conductors, because MSD makes several different kinds of wires? I've heard they're the best wires ever, but I havn't used them. All I know is my Motorsport wires are arcing like crazy with .060" gap plugs.

Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 PM
dk5122
Elder User
Spark Plug Gap

Yes I was talking about the Super Conducters. $1.29 is fine for plugs. I went in there expecting to pay $5-6 bucks a plug he said don't waste your money. The Ford Racing 9mm wires are great never had a set arc yet. I have put them on several differant vehicles. All I can say the MSD was well spent money.Thought I had got in a differant truck after the box was put on. I'll make sure I fire the truck up at night after I re-gap the plugs. Thanks for the info, Dan

Old 02-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Duderoy
Tuned
Spark Plug Gap

I did have my hesitation problem go away after installing the platinums ( Might just be the fact of new plugs). Both my local parts stores recommended them $1.99/plug. Not so much for performance increase, but longevity of the tip. The platinum doesn't burn back. So am I OK with .054 gap since I hear allot of .060's out there???

Old 02-10-2003, 08:52 PM
randallc
Senior User
Spark Plug Gap

So I could go with a .054 gap on a stock ignition system? I have read that the computer controlled ignition systems are just as good as an MSD ignition. So without having to go with an aftermarket ignition system am I able to go with a larger gap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Gap