1996 F250 460 baseline dyno results and head porting info-RESULTS ARE IN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 AM
a500ponies
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i understand the simplcity of tuneing a fi car with a laptop and thats cool..what kind of trans programer do i neeed and how much do they cost?. what is the cheapest way to convert my 90sd 460 to mas air ? i want to run my new 514 in my truck with a older 429cj cam in mine with roades lifters.. maybe i can fool the compulter with that and keep my speed dencity .. my 88mustang sd was faster then my 9o mas air car ...and to fix the idle i bought a plate that was adjustible ... is there a doner in the wrecking yard that i get the mas air from ? ie mustang and a maybe someone out there can show us a diagram on how to hook both the controler and mas air up ... some one has to have done this swap out there ..and mite be able to share the info..your right aboult the rvs being built with earlyer components ... i seen a f150 up here with a 1996 5.8ho 4barrel carb c6trans with a 9inch rear end completely stock from ford and it was a northern michigan truck .. and they were suposed to be f uel ijected aod and 8,8 in that year..WHAT I WANT TO DO with my old truck IS SHOW EVERY HEMI TRUCK going up a HILL...WHAT . a FORD CAN DO ...

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^
You need to do some reseach bro. Every one of your questions have been covered at length in the forum. Use the search key.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I 2nd jokers post...If you havent already found the info youre inquiring about do some searches on here. Personally I fall into the category "keep all the crappy stock EFI and see what I can do" just for the challenge.....These engines are soooooooooo underrated and under appreciated....they can build stupid power and torque with not much work... also check out 460-ford.com for more info.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll agree with the others. Biggest improvements come with airflow. The "H" in the middle of your air intake is a huge choke point. The other restriction is a little harder, the catalytic converter. I am fortunate in having a 1986 F350, I have converted it to EFI and an E4OD from carbureted C6. The thread is here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-86-f350.html

If you have a manual transmission the MAF conversion is a bit easier, there are a number of options, most use a Mustang A9x EEC and a 90mm MAF. If you have an E4OD, you can still do this, but you will need a stand alone transmission controller, Baumann or similar. Some people on here have used Megasquirt systems. One item, the later heads, F3TE castings, flow better than the E7TE heads you have now.

As for power, mine isn't road ready yet, but a few short runs, to the muffler shop, down the road from there, etc. it's got great power, will light all 4 rear tires if you stand on it, and that's with a 3.55 gear.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
a500ponies
Junior User
mods

ok i ported the throtle body and intake im going to port the heads and mill them20thousand im putting a 429cj cam in the truck with rodes lifters and a set of headman headers and it runs into a 4inch exhaust off a power stroke no cat but i want more will the compulter like it we will see my f350 can burn the tires no problem now the intake was the first mod i made and thats bull that it takes the tourke away on the bottom air 460 x2 =920 and trying to flow threw a 11/2 pipe come one ..that dont work but theres got to be a better way and i will post it ...

Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Do all of us a favor, stop running your sentences together and try using some punctuation and occasional capital letters. A lot of people on here will simply either ignore you or really jump on you for this. You may also get chewed on about spelling.

For mine, I am boring the engine .040 over, decking the block and will be running am Edelbrock Performer plus #2167 cam. Goal is around 9.2:1cr. I got some more of the MAF stuff today, a piece of 3.5" ID silicone intercooler hose with some bellows in it to allow for engine movement. Now I have to build the rest of the inlet plumbing to the throttle body. My current exhaust is basically the front pipes from the 1990 truck connected to the existing 1986 system, dual 2.5" pipes to the muffler, then a 3" tailpipe.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
a500ponies
Junior User
i never did well at spelling. all im asking for is a simple build with 400horsepower and 500ft lbs of torke ..i was told the eldenbrock cam wont work with the compulter...my ex wife jumped all over me so im used to some bashing ...and all i here on this site is look in the archives ,,i have engines to build ...600dollars for a transprogramer ..i dont think so ..there has to be a cheaper way...

Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
.....Huh???........ what was all that??.........

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
a500ponies
Junior User
read the whole post...from the beginning..all i asked were some simple questions on modifying my 90 460 fuel injected truck and all the responces i get back .. is look it up .on the site .what i need is someone that actually did the mods allready to give me a baseline ...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, what you want is for someone to do the leg work for you. You want the research handed to you and you don't even have the decency to use full sentences, punctuation or basic grammar when asking for it.

Now take a second, cool off, and listen to the rest of my post

This is the thing about the EFI 460. There isn't much aftermarket support for it. Really, other than headers and a few odds and ends we're on own to figure out how to get more out of our trucks. If you were dealing with, say, a late model Mustang then EVERYTHING that can be done has already been done. And more than likely it has been documented in magazines, websites and hundreds of internet forums. You can ask my wife how to build a 10 sec 5.0 and she could give you a dozen combos. This is not the case with the EFI 460. Most of our info is spread out among this and a couple other forums. YOU have to do the research, YOU have to figure out what will be the best way to get what you want out of your truck and YOU have to take on the burden that your chosen path may not have the out come you were looking for. This is the cost of modifying one of these engines and it's that challenge that makes a lot of folks try. But in the end there just aren't that many people that have successfully hotrodded these engines.

The shining light is that there is some help out there. This thread is an example. A person with the skills, tools and time gave us a great piece of information here. He didn't do it for any other reason but the betterment of the hobby (and his personal truck). He didn't have to take a ton of pics, write up the posts and answer questions. But he did. And most folks that mod these trucks are glad to share what they did right and what they did wrong. All for the greater good. There have been threads about swapping to MAF using both Mustang, 5.8 and the elusive 7.5 parts. There are many posts about replacing the cam for something that will work with the stock SD. There are endless threads about basic bolt ons and headers/exhaust. There's info on strokers, heads, superchargers, etc. It is out there and people are willing to share but YOU have to do your part.

First, put together a complete sentence. Most of us working on these trucks are a little older. We don't understand text, twitter or any of the other short hand that has came about the past few years. We use grammar (though not always proper, it's close), it's only polite if you do your best to do it too. Oh, and running your post through a spellcheck before posting goes a long way.

Second, stop being lazy. Put in the time. Do your research and make clear goals. Then decide what you're willing to do to reach those goals. You want a 400 HP engine? Then the quickest easiest and cheapest way there is a 200 shot of laughing gas. Oh, you didn't say that you didn't want the blow the engine on the third hit. You didn't say you're not willing to hit a button every time you climb a hill running after a new Hemi. You didn't say what you really wanted for you truck. What are the real purpose of your truck?

And lastly, have fun. Don't take yourself too seriously. There will always be someone out there with a faster truck. There will always be someone out there telling you there is a better way to do whatever it is you're doing. You will make mistakes, you will skin your knuckles and take your lumps but you will feel like you accomplished something if you can get the whole thing to work. It will be great. And, as long as you return the same respect that we give you, we'll be here to help you out, cheer you on and celebrate all the cool things you do in life.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM
a500ponies
Junior User
re

hate to tell you this . i have built over 150.small block fords ranging from 300 to over 750hp . none ov .my engines are fi or stupid efis

.and all my engines turn over 7500rpm with no problems so im not some hick from the sticks ..my mustang runs 9.20 at 140mph on the engine no nos or turbo and its only 357cubic inch ...old school so now i hope we have that clear ..if you have to be perfect to post on this site well i quess i will say see you .. this site is like like a library and you have to find the information .here and there . well thats great if you have lots of time.. maybe the biggest problem on this site is that no body has done this sucessfuly.. but i will ..

Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

460s

So you know how to build drag race engines, okay, have you built anything for endurance, like the 12 hrs. of Sebring, or something for SCCA or NASCAR? Not belittling you but you are coming across as an arrogant Jerk!

On your quest for more power on your 1990 SD EFI engine, if you will quit coming across the way you do, someone might help you. I am in the process of building my truck up the way I want it. I have already run into the same issues you have, there is virtually no support for the SD 460, and one of the issues with the SD systems, they do not like either pulsating or low vacuum. The mixture control is based on several things, one of which is the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, or MAP. I would suggest you go to Fuel Injection Technical Library it is an excellent resource on Ford EFI systems.

I was told when I started my project, that the easiest Mass Air Flow conversion is to use one of the A9x Mustang 5.0L processors. For my application, it's not a good choice, I have an E4OD, which limits me to one of the MAF truck EECs from an E4OD equipt truck. I settled on a WAY1 EEC from a 1995 Bronco.

You may want to look into a stand alone system like Megasquirt, there are several people on here who use it on 460s. One of the bigger issues for improvement is better heads, the ones described in the start of this thread are the F3TE heads, your engine, as does mine at present, have E7TE heads with smaller ports. Another good resource is reincarnation, his website has a lot of information on the 460 and porting the EFI heads.

Increasing the compression ratio is something I know you understand, Ford increased the deck height of the 460 block twice, once in 72 and again in 73, if you deck the block back down to the pre-72 height it makes a huge difference, I will be doing that when I build my .040 over engine. My goal is better pulling power, increased fuel economy and just all around better running.

Here is another big bottleneck to breathing on the factory setup, the "H" in the intake system. The other is the catalytic converter, one of the reasons I am sticking with a 1986 truck, it is an over 8500 GVWR truck and therefore non-catalyst. I still have most of my original 1986 exhaust system, just the front H pipe is from the 1990 parts truck.

Attached Images    
Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
What we call a leech

I agree with all the other guys, a500ponies, nobody wants to help if you continue with a condescending attitude, putting yourself on a pedestal yet wanting others to spoon-feed you with answers because "you've got engines to build" and don't have time to do any research on your own.

To add to that, your attitude is exaggerated by poor communication skills. A person who writes carelessly & sloppily is thought of as being careless & sloppy in his engine work, too, and earns no respect.

You apparently only want to leech from the knowledgeable people here (56 posts in 9 years, most asking questions, little sharing in a hobby and helping others).

if you want to continue this, I will strongly suggest you first write your text in a word processor and have it do the grammar & spelling checks, then copy & paste into here. It won't remove your superioristic & condescending attitude but it will at least fix the spelling and grammar.

Yes, this thread was reported to me. People have information & ideas to help you, but your attitude and crappy communication skills are turning them off.

Fix that, and maybe things will get better. Otherwise, it's probably best for you to take your problems elsewhere.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

a500, if you don't like FI then don't use it. BUT you don't need to bash on guys that are.

And as stated you may or may not be a hick as you say but your posting style is very hard to read and anyone can claim to have built hundreds of engines. Slow down and think about your post a little and see if it makes sense.

Example of why you aren't being taken credibly. You said you used rodes lifters, well someone that actually used them would know it was spelled Rhoads and that is right on the box. Little things but really hurts credibility.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Rob, I'm sorry I jumped his case in your area. I did let Chris know what I had done. His supercilious attitude was getting on my nerves. He just seemed to want someone to give him step by step instructions for nothing.

BTW, I will keep on with my own EFI MAF conversion project, I'm just hitting some dead ends on the computer setup. Truck currently runs pretty good on a 92 SD EEC Chris found me in his local junkyard.

Quick Reply: 1996 F250 460 baseline dyno results and head porting info-RESULTS ARE IN!