Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior User

jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-barnes/56/718/6a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boport View Post
Yes, it dyno'd just a few hp shy of 300whp and 400wtq. I'll have to dig up the dyno sheet and scan it in again for you guys.
That'd be great...i'd love to see it!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Junior User

Boport is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quick update, I couldn't find the last printout but next time I'm on the dyno (soon) I'll get the last pull we did and before and after it with the new boost. Boost? Oh yeah, I found an old powerdyne supercharger kit and it's on the way- things are about to get interesting. I'm ditching the failure prone BD11a blower in favor for the updated XB1A gear driven unit. We will be installing the kit over the next few weeks, so stay tuned! Guess it's finally time to fill it up with 91 octane and let this old 8:1 motor sing
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior User

jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-barnes/56/718/6a4
Quote:
Quick update, I couldn't find the last printout but next time I'm on the dyno (soon) I'll get the last pull we did and before and after it with the new boost. Boost? Oh yeah, I found an old powerdyne supercharger kit and it's on the way- things are about to get interesting. I'm ditching the failure prone BD11a blower in favor for the updated XB1A gear driven unit. We will be installing the kit over the next few weeks, so stay tuned! Guess it's finally time to fill it up with 91 octane and let this old 8:1 motor sing
sweeeeet....keep us posted
Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Senior User

Deerediesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any updates on your project?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Junior User

Boport is starting off with a positive reputation.
The blower "kit" ended up being a complete POS. It was a powerdyne kit I found on a mustang forum, so be aware. It was missing all the brackets and the blower itself had compressor wheel damage. Had to file a paypal claim to get my money back. If there is anyone out there with a Vortech kit I will pay you pretty much retail for it at this point. The engine's running great, still towing the boat like a champ. If I didn't have 3 other racecar/boat projects going on I would just build my own blower or turbo kit for this thing, but it's just been too busy lately. Help me find a vortech kit and I will give you dyno feedback and a finders fee!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Posting Guru

ceetwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
.........If there is anyone out there with a Vortech kit I will pay you pretty much retail for it at this point....
Man I should have advertised on here... I just sold my spare Vortech kit to the first guy on a mustang forum. Probably sold it way too cheap too! They are extremely hard to find.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Senior User

Man that sucks....I cant understand why there are so many dumb a** guys out there that want to pawn there broken crap onto someone else. If its junk its junk, take your losses and toss it. I'm pretty sure you will eventually come across a Vtech for your truck. I have had the chance to buy several in the last 4-5 years but I have been holding out trying to find the Kenne Bell twinscrew kit. The only time I know that one came up for sale was around April 2007 (About the same time I started a thread on here in search of one, and then I found out a whole year later) on ebay by one of the guys on the forum. What a kick in the nuts. I am like you- I would have paid big time to get my hands on that unit- and I later read it went for like $800......just added more salt to the wound. I do have a owners manual I purchased from KB and I scanned some pics of the kit to post on my threads so other people could see,but it wont let me add them on here. Look it up it has all my engine specs. On the other hand, if you decide to build a turbo kit for you truck....by all means build two I would be more than happy to buy one. I have talked to the guys at STS in Utah, but all they will sell you is a universal kit for these trucks. I think one of those new EFR turbos from BW would work nicely, but they have a pretty heavy price tag. Its been a while since I read through this entire post, are you still running stock SD? I think mine is at its limits. I have put down 280hp/420 lb.ft to the ground with it so far so I am assuming its making around 350/500 at the crank. I have a set of ported/polished F3TE heads almost identical to yours but I havent installed them yet. Was planning doing it the same time as my MAF kit install....witch is still sitting on a box. Hope everything comes together for you. Overall this entire thread has provided a lot of info for people to see real numbers and results. Keep it up.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Posting Guru

ceetwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ged-460-a.html In case anyone missed my recent thread....

After owning a Kenne Bell on my old Cobra and knowing how badass they are.... I was skeptical on getting a centrifical blower for a TRUCK. But let me tell ya, it's badass! And with my Custom Cam it is night and day difference between stock and blown. Even at 1psi at 2k RPM it's very noticable. I'd love to get a KB kit, but if one popped up for sale today I wouldn't bother on the swap. I'm very happy and theres LOTS more left in my setup. I'm getting ready to get a more efficient head unit and do a custom air to air innercooler. I'll keep it posted..
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the info! I always like to hear other peoples experience with things (kind of like my Banks headers). I have had more than one chance to buy a paxton or Vtech but passed them up. I have heard some people say they were disappointed with a centrifugal, but I think those were basically bone stock trucks that added a blower.....kind of like filling a pool raft with your lungs You can only blow so much through a small hole. I will keep checking you post (not trying to hijack this one by any means). I was just reading an artical in one of my old Hotrod mags from August 2003, they did a comparison on a 327 small ford with a Weiand mini blower, a turbo from HP performance, and a paxton cent. The centrifugal did make more power way up on top, but the turbo spank both their a** all the way around, at one point making more power with lest boost. Yes I know dyno load is totally different from real world driving, but on the other hand that was 8 years ago...look how turbo technology has evolved even since then. I'm waiting on Boport to build EFI 460 turbo kits for all of us
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Junior User

a500ponies is starting off with a positive reputation.
im kinda confused why cant you drop a carb 460365hp into one of theses trucks with a msd to fire it what controls the trans mission and how would you get around this problem ?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Elder User

jokerforever is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jokerforever is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You could. Just most folks want to stick with what they have because of local emissions (the biggest reason), cost to swap the entire topend, aggravation of dealing with an aftermarket trans controller, or for just for the challenge (and it's a big one) of getting the most out of the factory parts. It would be considerably easier to swap aftermarket heads onto the stock short block, stab it with a good cam, top it with a good intake and a big carb (or aftermarket EFI) and enjoy 450+ hp. That's my plan in the future. The only thing keeping me from doing it now is the trans controller. I have to wait until I have time to take the truck down and work out the bugs. If I had a ZF, it would of already happened.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Junior User

1990 f350s had carb s and eoad transmissions what did they use to control the trans and what did a 7.3diesel use
Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a500ponies View Post
1990 f350s had carb s and eoad transmissions what did they use to control the trans and what did a 7.3diesel use
As sold in all 50 states, all 7.5L's sold were EFI. NO carbs in 1990, at least in America. 1987 was the last full year of carb'd 7.5L's, 1988 I have noted both ways. The E4OD did not come out until what, 1989 so they was never a carb'd 7.5L / E4OD combo sold new by Ford, at least in America.

As to the diesels - I stand to be informed on that one! I am sure though that Ford simply used a stand alone computer control. All E4OD are electronic after all.

Besides, why even consider going back to a carb? With todays engine management systems we can make more horsepower per cubic inch now than ANY 1960's muscle car ever came with from the factory, and todays cars/trucks can actually handle decently, stop, run decent cold as well as warmed up and all the time getting longer engine life to boot, even at the higher hp levels of today.

Ever try to stop with 9" drum brakes on a 1960's muscle car from 100 mph? Ya, once is it, then you faddddeeeee away......

And no, I not a newbie, I am 53 and have owned my fair share of traditional 1960's muscle cars, and they are cool, but relics of a past, great museum pieces or Sunday drivers... but none the less relics of lower performance era. Give me a modern engine any day! Less work to keep running, simpler to tune and longer life to boot!

David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 auto dump truck O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Junior User

maybe not in the us but i have seen 1990 ford rvs with carbs on them and in canada there were lots of trucks that had carbs after 1987expecly f450s my 93 idi 7.3 dosent have a compulter but has a overdrive trans so what controls it ? you cant get the fuel mix right with a sd truck they always run too lean ..and a carb will beat a fi every time expecially a modified my 500horse powered pinto still has the 9inch discs on it and it stops from a130mph no problem what im wondering theres got to be someone out there that has a simple fix for the trans and engine management system
Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a500ponies View Post
maybe not in the us but i have seen 1990 ford rvs with carbs on them and in canada there were lots of trucks that had carbs after 1987expecly f450s my 93 idi 7.3 dosent have a compulter but has a overdrive trans so what controls it ? you cant get the fuel mix right with a sd truck they always run too lean ..and a carb will beat a fi every time expecially a modified my 500horse powered pinto still has the 9inch discs on it and it stops from a130mph no problem what im wondering theres got to be someone out there that has a simple fix for the trans and engine management system
Ya, that is why I mentioned America. FTE is worldwide! But you might want to check the build date on the chassis on those motorhomes, many times the manufacture completes the vehicle with a two or three year old chassis. We saw this a lot as GM went to TBI in 1987, yet there were "new" 1990 motorhomes being sold with carbs. Yep, the vehicles may have been completed as 1990's, but the chassis had been in stock for up to 4 years.
Perfectly legal as the "complete" vehicle manufacture is the one who provides the MSO for the completed vehicle, at least in America. This also occured with Ford chassis as well. I had a 1991 Jamboree on a 1989 chassis myself.

As to your 93 and no computer, well it might not have one in the strick sense of the word as we think of them as related to EFI systems, but it does have at least a logic circuit to control the E4OD transmission. Just like your Radio has a logic circuit to control the freqency and other functions. In the 1960's these "logic" circuits could have been thought of as computers, and rightly so, but anymore due to there lack of ability, they really are only considered very basic logic circuits.

So, in case of a EMP, engine computer or not, your transmission will have issues.... !

There are two simple fixes for what you want to do,

#1 Just run a stand alone transmission controler as has been suggested. Thiis gives you the advantage of controlling the shift points, etc which is important as the engine mods that you are thinking about are going to raise the upper rpm level above the factory programing. These TRUCK 7.5L's were really designed to move a load at below 4000 rpm or so, unlike the later overhead cam engines which seem to come alive at 4000 rpms

#2 Convert to a mass air flow system. This system has a lot more flexability than the the more basic SD system.

Either one is a fairly simple and proven "fix" for the factory "loaded / hauling / engine life designed truck state of tune.

Yoou don't have to take a step backwards and go to a carb to achieve what you want to do, unless that is a personal choice. And if that is your choice, then so be it, it is your truck car! And such that it is your personal desicion, it in no way makes carbs way better than a modern engine management system. The HP charts do not lie, we make more HP now per cubic inch that ANY muscle car era engine. WITH emmissions controls to boot!

Even Nascar has gone fuel injection! it wil be interesting to see how much higher the performance goes.

BTW, not trying to start something, but i definetly metioned muscle car era 9" DRUM brakes, I never mentioned the optional discs, nor even a econobox Pinto with DISC brakes. I had one 1968 SS427 with the optional 12" 4-piston discs and it stopped great, up to a point though, you can overdrive any brake system. I had a second with the standard HD 11" drums and they were prone to fade QUICKLEY in "enthuiastic" driving manuvers.

Besides, the first stop is the easy one, after that the brakes start to heat and then eventually fade. If you were to run your Pinto on a road course, I can guarentee you that your 9" brakes, Disc or not would fail on you. One stop after a 1/4 mile run does not signifigantly test brakes as far a heat goes. We don't run our daily drivers 1/4 mile at a time, so therefore I tend to want things to work mile after mile, twisties or straight, downhill or uphill, and when we are talking trucks, fully loaded hammer down without destroying a engine from detonation / preignition.

Enough said, definatly getting off topic here, so.....

I am also a fan of EFI as it is a dynamicly adjustable (within the pre programed limits) for altitude and temp. Carbs are NOT. They are only perfectly set up for one temp and one barometric / altitude / pressure. Anything outside of that one perfect setup requires manualy changing settings. Much easier to let a computer do it faster and better. I have yet to see anyone change carb jets several times a minute!

Again, my two cents, David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 auto dump truck O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 PM