1996 F250 460 baseline dyno results and head porting info-RESULTS ARE IN!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
rockdawg84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonbar87
This thread has been dead for at least 4 months...dunno where the OP went. He hasn't posted in here forever....last post was 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM
And this is the only thread he has posted in we need more info

Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill give him a call and tell him to update yall on whats going on...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
rockdawg84
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
Thank you very much

Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
jonbar87
Tuned
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
Please do. Thank you!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
pennswoodsed
5th Wheeling
time=money

I wish I were in a position to fund this type of real world research , we have already received many,many $$$$$$ worth of investigation and work , nicely written. What he has in his head is solid gold.
Regards,Ed

Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Yes, but practical certainly not. Who wants to port cast iron heads ? And for all that dirty, filthy, dusty and long hours of work it is not worth the effort or cash when so many aluminum heads are available these days for reasonable prices that will flow circles around the ported cast iron heads right out of the box. Don't get me wrong it was interesting and I thank him for his effort,time & for posting it for all of us but I knew it was all in vein before he even started.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mark a.
Yes, but practical certainly not. Who wants to port cast iron heads ? And for all that dirty, filthy, dusty and long hours of work it is not worth the effort or cash when so many aluminum heads are available these days for reasonable prices that will flow circles around the ported cast iron heads right out of the box. Don't get me wrong it was interesting and I thank him for his effort,time & for posting it for all of us but I knew it was all in vein before he even started.
VERY TRUE! Alum is only way to go. Also saves 50lbs of dead weight just by switching hehe.

By the time you paid shipping both ways on a set of heads, had a professional port them you could buy Ford Racing Alums!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
mustangman
Senior User
yeah aluminum is the way to go with all the warping and headgasket failures ,stripped threads, aluminum garbage in my book

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangman
yeah aluminum is the way to go with all the warping and headgasket failures ,stripped threads, aluminum garbage in my book
LMAO. What are you living under a rock like the Gieco commercial?!?!

What stripped threads? The only things that really screw into a head are rockers, and valve covers, and front accessories. I've never had any issues.

You shouldn't be overheating your truck to the point of warping heads, DUH.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

I talked to him the other day and he said he will try and get on here soon to update yall

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Chadder1313
Junior User
Very helpfull and usefull thread! Last time i checked there is no aftermarket aluminum head for the EFI motors. Thats why we have to port these cast iron boat anchors. Im not a big fan of aluminum either. Yes it saves weight, and there easier to port, but you definitley have to watch how you treat them because they are a little more tempermental. Just my .02.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
mustangman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior
LMAO. What are you living under a rock like the Gieco commercial?!?!

What stripped threads? The only things that really screw into a head are rockers, and valve covers, and front accessories. I've never had any issues.

You shouldn't be overheating your truck to the point of warping heads, DUH.
guess sparkplugs just tapin no threads lol, v10s had issues with the plugs spitting out cause the aluminum stripped out so easy,, having a pair of identical alum and iron heads, the irons would generate more compression heat putting out a bit more power

Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Boport
Junior User
Sorry for not getting back on here guys, just been tied up with some other projects and we have been very busy in the shop the last 6 months. At any rate, just thought I'd drop a line and let you know how everything has been going.

I've been driving/towing with the truck quite a bit now and really have had no problems or interesting things to report since the last dyno. The truck starts up and goes, tows well with the new power, seems to be getting the same or better mileage as before the swap.

The only thing I wish I could go back and change (still may) would be the headers. Although they did help midrange and top end power significantly, there was also a noticeable loss of low end "grunt" which I do miss while towing. My feeling is the shorty/mid length headers were far from optimized for torque production lower in the rpm range. A longer primary tube length header should help scavenge better in the lower rpms and produce at least the same or better low end torque as the stock manifolds. The best design out there I think for these trucks is the headers from L&L, and I wish I had found them before installing the Hedmans. If I have any problems with the Hedmans or any excuse to pull them off I will certainly be changing to the L&L's. I would also re-dyno to confirm they bring back the torque (and hopefully a little more power).

I STILL have not been able to locate a Vortech supercharger kit, so if you see any floating around on the web please let me know! That will be my final addition to the truck, other than a standalone ignition if we run into any limitations with the stock ECU.

I will try and get back on here more often to answer any questions you may have, but if you ever need to get ahold of me my contact information is below.

Boport Racing Heads
510-979-9211
bo at bo-port.com

Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Originally Posted by Boport
Sorry for not getting back on here guys, just been tied up with some other projects and we have been very busy in the shop the last 6 months. At any rate, just thought I'd drop a line and let you know how everything has been going.

I've been driving/towing with the truck quite a bit now and really have had no problems or interesting things to report since the last dyno. The truck starts up and goes, tows well with the new power, seems to be getting the same or better mileage as before the swap.

The only thing I wish I could go back and change (still may) would be the headers. Although they did help midrange and top end power significantly, there was also a noticeable loss of low end "grunt" which I do miss while towing. My feeling is the shorty/mid length headers were far from optimized for torque production lower in the rpm range. A longer primary tube length header should help scavenge better in the lower rpms and produce at least the same or better low end torque as the stock manifolds. The best design out there I think for these trucks is the headers from L&L, and I wish I had found them before installing the Hedmans. If I have any problems with the Hedmans or any excuse to pull them off I will certainly be changing to the L&L's. I would also re-dyno to confirm they bring back the torque (and hopefully a little more power).

I STILL have not been able to locate a Vortech supercharger kit, so if you see any floating around on the web please let me know! That will be my final addition to the truck, other than a standalone ignition if we run into any limitations with the stock ECU.

I will try and get back on here more often to answer any questions you may have, but if you ever need to get ahold of me my contact information is below.

Boport Racing Heads
510-979-9211
bo at bo-port.com
Glad to see your back! So did you ever get it dynoed after you installed those headers?

I bet some that loss of low end torque is nothing a little ignition timing alteration wouldn't fix...you really need a standalone system for your setup. I bet you'd see 500 wtrq/300whp

Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Boport
Junior User
Yes, it dyno'd just a few hp shy of 300whp and 400wtq. I'll have to dig up the dyno sheet and scan it in again for you guys.

Quick Reply: 1996 F250 460 baseline dyno results and head porting info-RESULTS ARE IN!