Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Senior User

rockdawg84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbar87 View Post
This thread has been dead for at least 4 months...dunno where the OP went. He hasn't posted in here forever....last post was 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM
And this is the only thread he has posted in we need more info
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
Ill give him a call and tell him to update yall on whats going on...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior User

rockdawg84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin View Post
Thank you very much
Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Senior User

jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-barnes/56/718/6a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin View Post
Please do. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Freshman User

pennswoodsed is starting off with a positive reputation.
time=money

I wish I were in a position to fund this type of real world research , we have already received many,many $$$$$$ worth of investigation and work , nicely written. What he has in his head is solid gold.
Regards,Ed
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Post Fiend

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes, but practical certainly not. Who wants to port cast iron heads ? And for all that dirty, filthy, dusty and long hours of work it is not worth the effort or cash when so many aluminum heads are available these days for reasonable prices that will flow circles around the ported cast iron heads right out of the box. Don't get me wrong it was interesting and I thank him for his effort,time & for posting it for all of us but I knew it was all in vein before he even started.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Posting Guru

ceetwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a. View Post
Yes, but practical certainly not. Who wants to port cast iron heads ? And for all that dirty, filthy, dusty and long hours of work it is not worth the effort or cash when so many aluminum heads are available these days for reasonable prices that will flow circles around the ported cast iron heads right out of the box. Don't get me wrong it was interesting and I thank him for his effort,time & for posting it for all of us but I knew it was all in vein before he even started.
VERY TRUE! Alum is only way to go. Also saves 50lbs of dead weight just by switching hehe.

By the time you paid shipping both ways on a set of heads, had a professional port them you could buy Ford Racing Alums!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior User

mustangman is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah aluminum is the way to go with all the warping and headgasket failures ,stripped threads, aluminum garbage in my book
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Posting Guru

ceetwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman View Post
yeah aluminum is the way to go with all the warping and headgasket failures ,stripped threads, aluminum garbage in my book
LMAO. What are you living under a rock like the Gieco commercial?!?!

What stripped threads? The only things that really screw into a head are rockers, and valve covers, and front accessories. I've never had any issues.

You shouldn't be overheating your truck to the point of warping heads, DUH.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
I talked to him the other day and he said he will try and get on here soon to update yall
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Junior User

Chadder1313 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very helpfull and usefull thread! Last time i checked there is no aftermarket aluminum head for the EFI motors. Thats why we have to port these cast iron boat anchors. Im not a big fan of aluminum either. Yes it saves weight, and there easier to port, but you definitley have to watch how you treat them because they are a little more tempermental. Just my .02.

1988 F-250 460 5-spd
"WORK IN PROGRESS"
Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Senior User

mustangman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior View Post
LMAO. What are you living under a rock like the Gieco commercial?!?!

What stripped threads? The only things that really screw into a head are rockers, and valve covers, and front accessories. I've never had any issues.

You shouldn't be overheating your truck to the point of warping heads, DUH.
guess sparkplugs just tapin no threads lol, v10s had issues with the plugs spitting out cause the aluminum stripped out so easy,, having a pair of identical alum and iron heads, the irons would generate more compression heat putting out a bit more power
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Junior User

Boport is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for not getting back on here guys, just been tied up with some other projects and we have been very busy in the shop the last 6 months. At any rate, just thought I'd drop a line and let you know how everything has been going.

I've been driving/towing with the truck quite a bit now and really have had no problems or interesting things to report since the last dyno. The truck starts up and goes, tows well with the new power, seems to be getting the same or better mileage as before the swap.

The only thing I wish I could go back and change (still may) would be the headers. Although they did help midrange and top end power significantly, there was also a noticeable loss of low end "grunt" which I do miss while towing. My feeling is the shorty/mid length headers were far from optimized for torque production lower in the rpm range. A longer primary tube length header should help scavenge better in the lower rpms and produce at least the same or better low end torque as the stock manifolds. The best design out there I think for these trucks is the headers from L&L, and I wish I had found them before installing the Hedmans. If I have any problems with the Hedmans or any excuse to pull them off I will certainly be changing to the L&L's. I would also re-dyno to confirm they bring back the torque (and hopefully a little more power).

I STILL have not been able to locate a Vortech supercharger kit, so if you see any floating around on the web please let me know! That will be my final addition to the truck, other than a standalone ignition if we run into any limitations with the stock ECU.

I will try and get back on here more often to answer any questions you may have, but if you ever need to get ahold of me my contact information is below.

Boport Racing Heads
510-979-9211
bo at bo-port.com
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Senior User

jonbar87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-barnes/56/718/6a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boport View Post
Sorry for not getting back on here guys, just been tied up with some other projects and we have been very busy in the shop the last 6 months. At any rate, just thought I'd drop a line and let you know how everything has been going.

I've been driving/towing with the truck quite a bit now and really have had no problems or interesting things to report since the last dyno. The truck starts up and goes, tows well with the new power, seems to be getting the same or better mileage as before the swap.

The only thing I wish I could go back and change (still may) would be the headers. Although they did help midrange and top end power significantly, there was also a noticeable loss of low end "grunt" which I do miss while towing. My feeling is the shorty/mid length headers were far from optimized for torque production lower in the rpm range. A longer primary tube length header should help scavenge better in the lower rpms and produce at least the same or better low end torque as the stock manifolds. The best design out there I think for these trucks is the headers from L&L, and I wish I had found them before installing the Hedmans. If I have any problems with the Hedmans or any excuse to pull them off I will certainly be changing to the L&L's. I would also re-dyno to confirm they bring back the torque (and hopefully a little more power).

I STILL have not been able to locate a Vortech supercharger kit, so if you see any floating around on the web please let me know! That will be my final addition to the truck, other than a standalone ignition if we run into any limitations with the stock ECU.

I will try and get back on here more often to answer any questions you may have, but if you ever need to get ahold of me my contact information is below.

Boport Racing Heads
510-979-9211
bo at bo-port.com
Glad to see your back! So did you ever get it dynoed after you installed those headers?

I bet some that loss of low end torque is nothing a little ignition timing alteration wouldn't fix...you really need a standalone system for your setup. I bet you'd see 500 wtrq/300whp
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Junior User

Boport is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, it dyno'd just a few hp shy of 300whp and 400wtq. I'll have to dig up the dyno sheet and scan it in again for you guys.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM