Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Jordan M Jordan M is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 51
Jordan M is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
speedo cable removal

im trying to remove my speedometer cable (84 F250), i disconnected it but i cant figure out how to get it through the floor. the hole doesnt seem wide enough
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 AM
CHELLIE's Avatar
CHELLIE CHELLIE is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: hesperia calif.
Posts: 286
CHELLIE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan M View Post
im trying to remove my speedometer cable (84 F250), i disconnected it but i cant figure out how to get it through the floor. the hole doesnt seem wide enough

Normally the speedo cable at the speedo head is smaller than at the transmission, you have to remove it from the bottom, if all else fails, make a x cut with some tin snips to the hole, fold the metal out enough to get the cable assy out, replace the cable assy. and tap the metal back into place.
__________________
Retired Yea, Female, Truck, Diesel and Heavy Equip Mech.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 AM
81-F-150-Explorer 81-F-150-Explorer is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8,791
81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
The cable itself is removed as follows.

Remove the speedometer cable housing from the instrument cluster.

Remove the speedometer cable housing from the transmission or transfere case.

Remove the speedometer drive gear off the end of the cable, it's held on with a "c" clip.

Pull the speedometer cable out of the spedometer cable housing with a pair of needle nosed pliers on the instrument cluster end.

When you reinsert the cable into the housing, use some speedometer lubricant, or white lithium grease. Make sure the cable is well lubricated when replacing it back into the housing.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 AM
eqppwqqep's Avatar
eqppwqqep eqppwqqep is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 65
eqppwqqep is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer View Post
The cable itself is removed as follows.

Remove the speedometer cable housing from the instrument cluster.

Remove the speedometer cable housing from the transmission or transfere case.

Remove the speedometer drive gear off the end of the cable, it's held on with a "c" clip.

Pull the speedometer cable out of the spedometer cable housing with a pair of needle nosed pliers on the instrument cluster end.

When you reinsert the cable into the housing, use some speedometer lubricant, or white lithium grease. Make sure the cable is well lubricated when replacing it back into the housing.
Not to threadjack, but if you don't grease it properly will it twitch and jump around?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Rogue_Wulff's Avatar
Rogue_Wulff Rogue_Wulff is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lost
Posts: 8,258
Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqppwqqep View Post
Not to threadjack, but if you don't grease it properly will it twitch and jump around?
Yes it can.


Also, if you are trying to replace the entire cable and housing, you need to either take the top thru the firewall, or at least remove the trans/transfer case adapter from the lower end. Pulling the rubber grommet out of the firewall *should* allow the upper end to fit thru the hole.
__________________
1980 F-150 300 I6, C6 & 9" rearend. Cummins 5.9L/ NV4500 5 speed swap in the works
1974 F100 Ranger XLT 390, C6 3.25 axle. Dad bought it new.
1983 Mazda RX7 1.1L Rotary.
1984 CRX 35 MPG go kart
1995 Mazda B2300 (undercover Ford)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
eqppwqqep's Avatar
eqppwqqep eqppwqqep is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 65
eqppwqqep is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff View Post
Yes it can.


Also, if you are trying to replace the entire cable and housing, you need to either take the top thru the firewall, or at least remove the trans/transfer case adapter from the lower end. Pulling the rubber grommet out of the firewall *should* allow the upper end to fit thru the hole.
I was messing with mine this weekend and I was able to disconnect the cable from the gauge without removing the cluster. Then, as you said, the rubber grommet in the firewall can be popped out and the whole cable assembly can be pulled toward the engine and out of the cab. On mine, there is plenty of room for it to fit. Then it's just unbolting it from the tranny.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1972, 2008, 84, bronco, cable, f150, f250, firewall, ford, grommet, housing, ii, remove, speedocable, speedometer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup