1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Bushwacker discontinued dent side fender flares.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been kind of watching this thread off an on, but wasn't really paying attention. In all truth I was kind of glad they were discontinued thinking some of the guys wanting these things might buy my fenders instead. I didn't realize until now though that there were different styles = the cut out (UGLY to me) & not cut out (not near as ugly to me).
JB78F150 PMed me & asked if I had seen this thread so I read a bit more this time & figured out the above.

I will say there may be a SLIGHT possibility of me making these things, but I'm going to do a LOT more thinking about it before I act this time. When doing the fenders I make I listened to a bunch of guys on a forum like this saying they would buy them & when I actually made the parts they all disappeared somehow. I am out a BUNCH of $$ from the mold making costs & will NOT make that mistake again.

That being said we can start discussion on this.

IF I can get enough pre-orders (deposit will be required) I will POSSIBLY do this.

That being said - mine would be made out of fiberglass. We could do them like my fenders where they are available in 4 gel coat colors (red, white, grey & black). Grey being the standard price & other gel colors being a bit of an upcharge due to our cost on the stuff.

Here's the questions I have on the stuff as of now:
1) What are the original fender flares made of? I would think a semi flexible plastic probably. Mine could be made with a vinylester resin to add more flex & help keep them from cracking a bit, but cost would go up vs. standard polyester resin.

2) Do you guys think the things would work in fiberglass? I don't see these are really being for the hard core trail/off road rig that gets BEATEN on, so I don't think they'd be likely to crack, but it's a question worth asking.

3) What was the price of these things when in the stores? From the looks of what I saw in this thread it was maybe $350 or a bit less for a set of 4?

4) What are you guys willing to pay for them? Don't take that as a greedy, type question, but more of one a business man needs to ask in seeing if it's worth my time & $$ to do this. Mold costs aren't cheap if you have someone GOOD do them. Any hack can throw together a mold, but one that is nice enough to pull GOOD quality parts out of over & over again takes skill & $$. If I do this I need to be able to make enough to re-coupe my mold making costs. I still need to sell 15+ sets of my fenders to break even on the mold from those - so this will NOT be a repeat of that!

5) How many people would be on board for a set day 1?

6) Who has a set in GOOD (need perfect pretty much to do the mold right) condition that I can use (they will be destroyed in the process) to make the mold????

7) How do these attach to the truck? Anyone got pics of this? My guess is they screw in to the stock fender lip.

Oh - and these are the fenders I make for these trucks. They are a 5" flare per side with a 3" wider wheel opening. Have a few very happy customers out there with them, but not enough as of yet...

Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
PRERUN1973F100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get to making these fiberglass fenders yet or can i buy some ?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I wonder what Bush Wacker did with their molds ? Living in the now defunct tool and die capital of the USA, Meadville Pa. I used to work in tool, die and mold shops years ago and I can tell you the cost of making those molds especially from scratch with no blue print the cost would be prohibitive. There may be some other way of not making them from steel and cnc work could cut the cost down as well but still they wouldn't be cheep to make as already stated. I think there was something behind Bush Wackers decision to pull the plug on those flares, probably general knowledge to their employees but not to the public to any degree. It's not like they would send out a press release on the subject. I too am disapointed with their decision.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
Chasetruck sells the fenders in the classified section. Here is his ad.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lots-here.html

Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 AM
78 stump jumper
New User
still have them

Originally Posted by BACRAKR
I have a brand new set of what I beleive are bush wackers that look like this. they are old school. Friend had them since the 80s and never put them on his truck, passed them onto me.

They look like whats on the truck in this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...most-done.html

$100 bones takes em
do you still have them would buyem yesterday. buildin memorial truck for pops and been lookin for over a year

Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Thumbs up Fenders....

Those look sharp Chase.

Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754

Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks. Now if I could just sell 10-15 more sets I could come close to breaking even for making the molds

Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I never understood why bushwacker quit making the fender flares. If they didn't make money than there should have been a crapload of inventory around. These are very hard to find. I would love to have a set for my 77. Rock chips in new paint sucks.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
My old man and I were actually discussing making molds of my bushwacker cutout flares that I've installed on my truck. I'm just not sure if theres a market for them is all.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
How do those fibreglass guards look when they have a factory track on the front? They look great on that truck in the pics but how does it look on a normal truck?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Xauterus
How do those fibreglass guards look when they have a factory track on the front? They look great on that truck in the pics but how does it look on a normal truck?
They look huge.

Here's a couple pics on my supercab when I was test fitting. Truck had the stock track width at the time. Those are 35" tire on it.

They were meant to go on trucks like this:

or this

Funny side note - I've sold 5 sets of my fenders & ALL went to red trucks. Plus the supercab they were built on/for was originally red & the other half/side of it was still red.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Cactus smasher
New User
I have a new, in the box set of bushwacker extend a fender flares I am willing to part with.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 PM
77429highboy
Freshman User
I tried to pm you about the fender flares but wouldnt work , i sent an email. I am interested in them. Please pm or email me thanks .

Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 PM
jimmythestick
New User
Bushwacker Cut Out Flares for 1973-1979 Ford Bronco and PU

I know it has been a long time since you posted that you were looking for fender flares for your Ford. I actually have some. These were never used and are still in the box. You cannot get them anymore as Bushwacker does not make them. So I'm guessing they are impossible to find. are you interested? Answer me back if so.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If no one buys em from you, pm me, i would be interested in making a mold and popping sets out.

Quick Reply: Bushwacker discontinued dent side fender flares.