6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

MPG-6.4l

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
I'm in the same boat. I don't put many miles on it a year. 20K per year average the last 3 years on mine.
If you were going to keep the truck for 6 years or so then maybe. We'd save on replaceing the DPF which might be expensive.
We might get more mpg's but what problems will develope from running high tunes to get the MPG in a few years.
At 20K miles per year, if you see a 3MPG improvement, you would save approxiamtely $900 in just fuel costs. You would break even on the Spartan tuner and DOC/DPF delete in 1 1/2 years.

From what I hear, removing the DPF is the best thing you can do to improve the reliabiltiy and longevity of the 6.4L due to the inherent fuel loading that occurs during the DPF cleaning cycles which winds up in the crankcase oil and can cause serious damage if the oil level gets too full or the oil isn't changed frequently enough. The improved performance and extended oil change intervals is just a bonus.

Ford did not put the DOC and DPF on the truck for reliability or performance reasons. It is strickly their method in keeping compliant with the EPA regulations that were put in place in (I think) 2007. The new trend is now to do away with the regens using extra fuel and use urea injections to do the cleaning. It will ultimately use less fuel but you still have to buy urea so in the long run, I'm not sure what the difference will be in the actual operating costs but should be alot better for the engine because the urea is injected into the exhaust stream and not in the engine.

Would be interesting to see if you could get a conversion kit for the 6.4L to switch to the urea injection versus the current method.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Getting rid of the DPF is much better for the engine I agree. I just saw a youtube video called 6.4 teardown and it said the turbos get damaged by fuel going threw them also.
I guess you can not run high hp tunes and just run a tuner stock with dpf/delete. But a pain in the butt haveing to change the pipe back for inspection time. Mines in January in Northern NH.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Neil64
Senior User
DPF

Spartan offers a stock DPF tune. At least that is what their website says.

Packages

Please tell me I am right because I am seriously considering buying one.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Getting rid of the DPF is much better for the engine I agree. I just saw a youtube video called 6.4 teardown and it said the turbos get damaged by fuel going threw them also.
I guess you can not run high hp tunes and just run a tuner stock with dpf/delete. But a pain in the butt haveing to change the pipe back for inspection time. Mines in January in Northern NH.
sometimes you can change the inspection cycle.. in texas they don't have to be synched with the registration renewal.

so, if u can, inspect it NOW in the summer.. then u can DPF delete NOW and be on summer cycle..

Sam

Old 08-01-2010, 01:49 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil64
Spartan offers a stock DPF tune. At least that is what their website says.

Packages

Please tell me I am right because I am seriously considering buying one.

Banks runs a DPF on tune. Probably the best for DPF on ability.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
How do you get fuel in the turbos? It would be igniting before the combustion chamber if you did.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Neil64
Senior User
Fuel in the Turbos

I guess what is happening is fuel diluted in the engine oil also lubes and cools the turbo isn't good for any bearing.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
How do you get fuel in the turbos? It would be igniting before the combustion chamber if you did.
The 5th fuel injection pulse is injected on the exhaust stroke to get burned in the exhaust to clean the DPF filter during a regen cycle. Since the turbos are spoolled but the exhaust gases/pressure, the unburnt fuel is pulled/pushed thru the turbos and into the exhaust system DOC/DPF. The issues are that some of the extra fuel is getting into the crankcase oil and this is not a good thing. the other issue is that the EGT's are getting crazy hot during the regens and that extreme heat cycle can't be good on the motor and turbos over the long run.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
This link to YouTube Video from Bill Hewitt explains and shows a 6.4 taken out. YouTube - 6.4 TEARDOWN 1 OF 3

Heavysledz what do you have to do to gain 3mpg overall city or highway?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Heavysledz what do you have to do to gain 3mpg overall city or highway?
I was referring to the folks that have the Spartan tuners and DOC/DPF delete kits. It looks like a 3MPG improvement is about the average so I used that number as a reference.....tryingto show the wife how spending $1500 will save me money

Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Matos420
New User
Just picked up a 2010 f350 Harley Davidson , lookin to get rid of the dpf and was wondering what is a good place to order a programmer and dpf delete kit ?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Matos420
Just picked up a 2010 f350 Harley Davidson , lookin to get rid of the dpf and was wondering what is a good place to order a programmer and dpf delete kit ?
You better move quickly. Edge and H&S have both been shut down by the feds and quit making DPF Delete tuners. Haven't heard anything about Spartan so you might find one on their web site, EBAY had a few H&S minnis when I looked last week, price is up up a good bit, 1150 for the tuner. Also check the Craigs list around the country, you may be able to find a used one. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Matos420
New User
Wow ! Alrighr thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
spoolen&smoken
Junior User
2008 cc with a 2,000lb work box on back avg 10mpg after installing Banks cold air intake,4'' dpf and muffler delete, and Banks Otto mind. With these minor upgrades I went from 8 to 10mpg.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Matos420
New User
Originally Posted by spoolen&smoken
2008 cc with a 2,000lb work box on back avg 10mpg after installing Banks cold air intake,4'' dpf and muffler delete, and Banks Otto mind. With these minor upgrades I went from 8 to 10mpg.
That isn't a very big difference .

Quick Reply: MPG-6.4l