New Mexico Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

TRUCK GARDEN THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TRUCK GARDEN THREAD

Hey people - how much cash could you spend on your truck, if you didn't spend it on GROCERIES?

Seriously...

If you spend a dollar eighty nine on a pack of tomato seeds, and then water them (from a well, if you're lucky) you don't drop $1.49 a pound or whatever for the rest of the growing season. Not to mention Peppers, cucumbers, summer squash, lettuce, and all of the other stuff you go to the store for....

There used to be what we called "VICTORY GARDENS" in the USA - people knew how to save, and in modern times it isn't about making the war effort happen, it's about banking the cash you don't have to spend.

If I don't spend 2.99 a pound on bell peppers, 1.49 on tomatoes (keep in mind a tomato can weigh 3 pounds or more each), and so on and so forth....

Just how much can you bank for that four barrel carb your buddy had for sale? Or the used HI-rise intake, or those slicks that only had two track passes? No kidding....

"DOH!!!"

"Truck Garden" might not mean what it used to - it means your grocery store is right outside in your yard, and what you don't spend you can spend on your hot wild ride...

Doesn't it?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT....

BESIDES: Homegrown is BETTER!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the way you think. Now, where can I put that damn cow?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uhh... Human or bovine?
(I don't have to worry about a crack like that, because she left when I found out how much debt she ran up)

Seriously - grow something expensive to buy in stores, and sell them at swap meets.

It makes a bitchen addition to the "Special Project" budget

Habaneroes, tomatoes, summer squash, jalapeno's...

Whatever brings the best price! And keep in mind that plastic sheet makes the water stay in the ground...

You could do "New Mexico Chilis" or "POBLANOS" that are used exclusively in the best chili recipes, and cover the area flea markets - looking for used parts that will go right home and make your ride FASTER!

PLUS you get to hang out at the swap meets and flea markets - where you can find cool deals on stuff.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
sealboy84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what you are saying is, all of the jalapenos and tomatos that I just GAVE away....

I didn't even think of the local farmers market.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None left over to sell - all either consumed on site or canned.frozen. No cash, but eatin good next winter!