Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharged 4.9L 300

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 AM
turbo_b
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Success story for the win!

Not to hijack your thread - but figured I would pass along my own build. I frequent the FordSix forum but stumbled across your build while looking to see what others have done.

Tuning the factory ECU to do this is quite the feat.
I would enjoy a video to see how the truck sounds!

FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View topic - Turbo 300 in a F150

Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Thanks i have the truck at the tuner now getting some dyno time. i should have it back at the end of this week or the begining of the next. after i get it back i will get some good video using my go pro. I have a couple friends that want to run the truck so i will get some good video of that too. I will also post final hp and tq numbers and max boost. i put a boost controller on it and just told the tuner to turn it up.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM
bent-1
More Turbo
Received 165 Likes on 105 Posts
Cool setup, thanks for the continued posts & thread. Have you had a chance to figure mpg numbers?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
no mpg numbers yet haven't had a good tune on it and have had some problems. after i get it back this time i will have some mpg numbers. I'm sure it wont be to bad driving normal but i can say when im in full boost and running hard i can see my gas gauge go down. lol but i really didnt build it for mpg just proving a point and trying to make power. after i blow this motor im going to build a twin turbo 460 and put in it.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM
turbo_b
New User
your stock pistons should fail (or headgasket) before the rods fail. I get detonation at about 11.5psi, can't control it.

My truck is managing bout 18mpg highway, 13ish around town. of course it all depends on how hard I pedal...

Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
pistons and headgasket arent stock and i put ARP head studs in. I have had problems already with blowing headgaskets before but that was with stock gaskets and head bolts. the head was also warped so it was hard to get a good seal all of that has been taken care of. Im running 42lbs injectors at stock pressure so its more like 50lbs injectors detonation hasnt really been a problem. I also have an msd boost retard on it. if anything it was running to rich. im interested to see what power it puts out now with the work that has been done to the head along with the throttle body upgrade and putting the electric fans on.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
turbo_b
New User
well sir, you should be in good shape to never blow up this engine!

Any chance you have pics of the head after the work you could share? As I am sure you know the problem with these heads is the inability to raise the port roof and this creates a sharp angle at the valve.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Welcome back Paul, I just goy my full injection system in last month and im in process or designing the system for the turbo now. Its gonna be a tripple throttle body set up. I didnt feel like 2 would give me the power i wanted at high end. Plus with the turbo spooling it will be ALOT better flow with the triple vs the dual.

Ill be sure to post pics when i get a chance to start on the project. Just want to get motor rebuild parts in and get motor acid dipped, bored, cleaned up, and pretty much brand new so i know i wont have any problems and if i do the will be easier to pinpoint.

Let me know about the truck tho. Been waiting for months for you to post video and new numbers for this beast!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
i was in such a hurry after i got the head back i forgot to take pics untill i had the thing back together.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nitesaber
Welcome back Paul, I just goy my full injection system in last month and im in process or designing the system for the turbo now. Its gonna be a tripple throttle body set up. I didnt feel like 2 would give me the power i wanted at high end. Plus with the turbo spooling it will be ALOT better flow with the triple vs the dual.

Ill be sure to post pics when i get a chance to start on the project. Just want to get motor rebuild parts in and get motor acid dipped, bored, cleaned up, and pretty much brand new so i know i wont have any problems and if i do the will be easier to pinpoint.

Let me know about the truck tho. Been waiting for months for you to post video and new numbers for this beast!
I cant wait to see the set up on your truck. sorry for taking so long with getting everything done. it seems like if its not one thing its another. but i promise as soon as i get it back the Gopro will be getting used alot. Ill do some 0-60 runs and some cursing with the camera mounted by the turbo so everyone can hear how it sounds. im really looking forward to getting it back on the road its been like 2 weeks now and im sure it will be atleast another week if not 2 before i get it back. Ill also update pics on my cardomain page and put some on here showing some of the work that was done. the only thing i forgot to take pics of the porting of the upper and lower intake and the portting i did to make the 351 TB fit the 300, plus i forgot about the head work too.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Haha, a head is a head. I am looking at porting and polishing mine and also zero it out to get a better compression. Any ideas on how much over i should go? I am also looking at doing some custom work to help the air flow more smoothly, such as sanding a bit in the corners and along the air channels to get anything that has built up, will just let it breathe ALOT better.

Also, i was looking at putting a new cam in but I wasn't sure which i should go with. I was looking at adding the 254 or 260. What do you think? I am not looking for so much top end as i am from 0 to 100 at the most really. Have you added the meth injection yet as well?

Any ideas on what valve springs, or push rods, rocker arms, rings, etc i should get. I think i am gonna stay away from clifford for now, they are having some issues and i want to be sure i get top of the line! If price is not an issue what is the best investment?

Did you add a twin yet? Not sure if it was you i talked about it with, but someone said with the twin turbo on the i6, if you can regulate the PSI immensely you will get an ultra smooth boost curve into the high rpm range instead of topping out once you gun it.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Port and polish is really all you need to do with the head because its a turbocharged engine and the air is getting forced in. they had to take 0.020 off of my head because it was warped. i port matched the uppper and lower intake and just smoothed out the runners going into the head. the stock cam is pretty good i wish i would have kept it in there i might have made alittle more power. i havent sat down and really figured out what would be the best cam. Im sure some of the other guys that have turbocharged there trucks might be able to help with that. i still have the stock vavle train but the springs have been shimmed to make sure they all had 80lbs of holding force. there really isnt much of a point in doing anything else unless you plan on reving the motor high.

I talked to a few engine builders and my tuner around here and asked about all that stuff since the head had to be sent off anyway. They all pretty much said it would be a waste of money to go with larger vavles and roller rockers the motor doesnt spin high enough and its turbocharged i would only gain maybe 2-4hp with the rockers and i didnt see it being worth $400. if you wanted to i know some of the other I6 guys are using chevy rockers because they have a better ratio.

I'm not the one that was going to twin the I6 but i plan on building a Twin turbo 460 later for the truck. I havent put the meth kit on they didnt have the one i wanted instock before i had to get it to the tuner. When i go to pick it up im going to see what would be better the meth kit or just do an E85 upgrade.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How are the EGTs?? An IC from a 99-03 7.3L SD should fit behind the grill if you ever feel like intercooling it down the road.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
How are the EGTs?? An IC from a 99-03 7.3L SD should fit behind the grill if you ever feel like intercooling it down the road.
under full boost the egt is between 1200-1300. i looked into that IC but i think im about done with this set up. I'm just going to keep pushing it till it blows. but im not trying to blow it up to soon because i want to get the replacement motor built first.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
well its going to be awhile till i can update with dyno numbers. the #3 cyclinder is not holding compression so im going to rebuild the bottom end with forged pistons and ARP hardware. all i have to say is since i have todo this then the boost is getting turned up as high as the current fuel set up can take then ill upgrade that again and turn it up again.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged 4.9L 300